mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Fantom review and advice

Hey guys, just discovered this forum and wanted to leave a review and get some advice from ya. First off, I bought a moto 600 DS about a year ago. Its a good bike but just not well suited for me. So went searching for a frame to put all the components on. Looked at a lot of different bikes and just kept coming back to moto. I just really like the fantom ds series. So I bought the comp frame set, added all the components and have made several upgrades.
    So far, the bike has been just awsome. I ride some pretty rough trails, lots of roots,drops,and jumps. The handling is just amazing and so plush! Downhill over roots and rocks the bike just stays glued to the track. I ride with a couple of friends once in a while, they both have Giants, a Trance and I forget the other. But I have ridden both of them and there is really no deference in the way they handle and feel on the trail. The only thing is they are about 5-6 pounds lighter than my Fantom. Part of that is my choice of wheels and tires I think. My bike weighs around 33 lbs . Is that normal for a Fantom DS? I picked heavier wheels and tires because of the way I ride, I like to take the jumps and was worried that lighter wheels would not hold up.
    So my question is, is there lighter but durable wheels and tires I should be looking at? Do you think losing 2-3 lbs will be worth it or make a differece? Or is a 33 lb trail bike ok?
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    sorry for the bad pic,Ill work on getting is enlarged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Whether a 33lb trailbike is ok is really a matter of personal preference. To me 33lb is too heavy. The best place to lose weight is in the wheels and tires as you said. If you like to ride hard Easton Havoc wheels are a fairly light and bombproof wheelset. Every now and then they go on sale and can be found for around $400. If you have wire bead tires, just switching to kevlar bead tires would take a good bit of weight off. Another good place is in the fork, I assume you are using the Dart that came on the 600DS. Darts weigh like 5 lbs, so just putting on something like a Reba will let you drop 1.5 lbs.

As far as the benefits of weight loss, any weight lost in the wheels and tires will make a dramatic difference because they are rotating mass. You will accelerate and climb much faster. Weight loss in other areas of the bike is not as noticeable.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the good avice. I actually do have a Reba team fork and a fox rear shock that was sent to push industries on the bike but because the picture is so small you cant see it. But I will deffinatly pick up a set of those Easton Havocs.

P.S Any suggestions on a brand of tire?
    Last edited by Moto305; 01-01-2009 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here is a set of the Eastons on sale. One nice thing about this wheelset is that the front hub is convertable from quick release to 20mm through axle. What wheels and tires are you riding right now?
    http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...n-Havoc-Disc26

Tires are a very presonal choice, since the best tires will vary based on your riding style and terrain. Personally my favorite all around tire is the Kenda Nevegal with Dual Tread compound (DTC), and a 26 x 2.1 folding bead tire weighs 609g. This is not the lightest tire around, but in my opinion it is a great all around tire. It has also won MBAs tire shootout for 3 years in a row.

When tire shopping just make sure that whatever tires you get that they are folding bead, not wire bead. Most midrange and entry level bikes come with wire bead, which weigh a lot more than folding beads.

Depending on how much your current wheels and tires weigh you could lose anywhere from 1 to 3 lbs. Since you already have a light fork and shock, more weight loss will have to come off the hard way, which is drivetrain, brakes, cockpit etc. These parts tend to be expensive and offer very small weight loss, so you can end up spending a lot of money to lose a few pounds.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I noticed they put that Nevegal tires on a lot of high end bikes so I think they are probly just what I am looking for.
    As to my current wheels and tires. Wheels are sunringle with shimano hubs, thats all it says on them. But I think they are much heavier than even the WTB on the original 600DS I had. They are very sturdy, not even had to true them once since they were installed but just too dang heavy. And the tires are
    WTB Velociraptors 2.1 its says "folding comp" and underneath that it says "cable bead", so that probly means wire.
    So with the changes you suggested it looks like I will be able to take off the 2-3 lbs I had hoped for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The folding comp Velociraptors are 775g. So just by switching to Nevegals you will lose 0.7 lbs right there.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

HTFU!
    I agree with ljsmith about wheels and tires making a big difference...also, like he mentioned, you can shave a bit of weight with other parts, ie.cranks, seat post and bars, but 'Cha-ching'. Still, cruise your local "craigslist" for used parts as you might find some sweet deals on parts that will lighten the load.
    I read once (actual biking article) that 10 lbs of body weight was equal to 1 lb of bike weight...so hey, If you are carrying around a few extra pounds, loosing them is a great way to lighten your overall load. I speak from experience after gaining about 13lbs after tearing my calf (twice in two months) and then getting my act together and losing 20+ lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well I could stand to lose about 10 lbs p. I'm gonna start with the wheels and tires. I think I will feel a huge differince after that. Then start on the rest when I find good deals. Shouldnt take too long. I think I like buying new things to put on my bike almost as much as actually riding it lol.
    Anyways thanks alot for the help guys!

HTFU!
    oops, never mind...wrong thread.