mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Fantom Pro 29er or Fantom Cross for 2nd bike

I am trying to decide between the Fantom Pro 29er or the Fantom Cross as a second bike. To start I have a Ventana El Cap 29er that I use for my main mountain bike. I am looking for a 2nd bike to ride to the beach/work/trails and lock it up at the bike rack if necessary. I will probably end up putting more street worthy tires on the 29er.

Also, I am 6'8" tall so I am looking at the 21" 29er or the 64cm Cross.

Both seem reasonably priced at $800. I am most concerned about durability and all around performance.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Kirk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fantom29 Pro all the way. If you want to set it up rigid, you could always swap the Tora fork out for a rigid forkand put narrower tires on it. ...and then have a set of mtb tires AND a great fork left over if you need them or want to sell them. The fantom29 PRO is just plain unbeatable as far as a bike with that component quality at that price. As I have asked before...Does anyone know of another bike that can touch it? I really want to know. Fantom29 PRO hands down.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

HTFU!
    I have a Fuji Cross that serves mostly as a road bike. I use it from toting the kids around in a trailer to commuting to work to full on Century rides. I often use the 32c tires for gravel road riding and riding with the family, but often use 23c tires for regular road rides. I love the fact that the brakes work better than a typical road bike and you have the convenience of switching tire size should you desire.
    So being that you already have a Mountain bike, I would vote for the Cross.
    With that said, if you have no intention of doing any road biking and you are going to be on any trails that are sandy, muddy, rocky or full of roots (rooty???) then opt for the 29er. You already know you like what you have and it may be nice to have a backup (and something to switch parts off of) in a pinch if necessary.
    IMHO (naturally).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ...Plus you could put some alternative style handlebars on the Fantom29.Rrrread"the official funky handlebar thread" over in the 29er forum. Note...been hearing some bad things about aluminum Mary/Spacebar breakages lately though...might want to stay away from them.I hear steel Origin8 spacebars may be coming out soon. Just remember you can explore more options with the Fantom29 PRO. No doubt about it.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld