Cartographer

Fantom Pro 16" -White Hot- *pics added*

So I got the bike yesterday. Came home from work and it was just sitting there, in it's giant box like you've seen pictures of in this subforum. Opened it up and everything was packed like normal.

Easy assembly, I love new stuff! There was a scratch on the fork (near the inside) which I will show you. Frame had no scratches or dings. Everything else was in pristine condition. I am 6' and was worried about the 16" frame being too small, but after putting on the handlebar and front wheel, rode it around and it was perfect. Just the way the frame is I guess, makes it give you enough cockpit room and keeps a fairly decent wheelbase. I love the remote lockout on the fork! So easy to turn on/off. The Juicy Seven brakes are a dream...

I will take some pictures during my lunch break and post them up. Haven't seen too many Fantom Pro pics here. The white frame really stand out!!! I will also try and put up some measurements that are not found on the manufacturer's geometry page.

Pictures take with Nokia N82:

Next to my CTS.

I love the look of these controls!!!

Juicy indeed.

Next to my old bike. My brothers cheap Mongoose is in the background.

Isn't XTR just sexy?

I forgot to take a picture of the damaged fork. Small scrape that will eventually blend in with others as time goes on. I will apply some black paint to fix it up.

Modifications: Swapped seats with my old bike for extra comfort, put on my old Wellgo pedals (I just love the wide pedals and can't bring myself to buy special shoes for clipless), and been thinking about swapping wheelsets. Not sure how these Gravity hubs will hold up.
    Last edited by xocomaox; 06-17-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Cartographer
    I took some measurements during lunch. These are all taken with the fork at 130mm travel position. This is what I found:

STANDOVER HEIGHT
    Measured from the lowest (near seat) is 27.5". From middle is 30.75", and from highest point (near stem) is 34". This is something I could not figure out from the data on the moto-usa site.
    TOP TUBE LENGTH (actual length)
    20" exactly.
    WHEELBASE
    42.5" from axle to axle.

Tip of the seat to the beginning of the stem: 15.5"
    Very back of the seat to handlebars: 31"

The seat that came with the bike is almost identical to my old seat, just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That is a nice looking bike. A lot of people don't like white, but its one of my favorite colors for a bike.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That's a sharp looking bike. Congrats on the new ride. Now go get it dirty!

FullMetal
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

High Speed Steaks
    White? Juicy 7's? I cannot find that one on their website. Which one is this? I purchased an 08 Fantom Pro in Slate, but haven't seen this config at all.

Sweet bike man. I took my Fantom to Moab this past weekend and it ate it up.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

Cartographer
    Just got back from a nice local trail. This thing eats hills for breakfast, compared to my heavier old bike. Something about the smaller frame, makes me able to take turns so much better, and climb hills..

It's the 2008 Fantom Pro??

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntom_pro08.htm

You are thinking of the 29 inch model. This is the hardtail with 26" wheels.

Three words: Love The Bike

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    Just got back from a nice local trail. This thing eats hills for breakfast, compared to my heavier old bike. Something about the smaller frame, makes me able to take turns so much better, and climb hills..

It's the 2008 Fantom Pro??

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntom_pro08.htm

You are thinking of the 29 inch model. This is the hardtail with 26" wheels.

Three words: Love The Bike
    Sweetness.

Yes, confusing the two. It's been a long day.

The bike is tight. Good buy. Thanks for the link.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

Cartographer
    Yeah, so after a few days of riding, the chain has seized up in multiple spots. Thought it was the rear derailleur, but it's the chain. Basically junk, and I was even warned about these being terrible chains, but thought mine would be okay. I was wrong.

Gonna be getting an XT chain and chain tool to fix it.
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

Cartographer
    Upgraded my rotors...

2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker