Thread: Fantom frames

mtbr member
    May 2007

Fantom frames

Are there any difference in the actual frames between the comp, elite, or pro? is the only difference the components?

Former Bike Wrench
    The frames appear to be the same according to the spec's...I doubt they would have a different frame for each Fantom model as that would drive up the price.

Bushwacker
    I notice on other bike brand forums, posters make a big deal on alleged new inovations in frame design i.e. where the rear shock bolts to the frame and how supposedly '08 designs eliminates all sorts of bad riding characteristics from, say, '06 or '07 designs. How much of this is true or how much hype? It seems the Fantom's frame is five years old or older. Is the Fantom's frame design light years behind the competition or is this talk just hot air from people who want to justify spending twice as much as the Fantom? There really seems to be so much garbage being said out there it's hard for me to tell fact from fiction.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I notice on other bike brand forums, posters make a big deal on alleged new inovations in frame design i.e. where the rear shock bolts to the frame and how supposedly '08 designs eliminates all sorts of bad riding characteristics from, say, '06 or '07 designs. How much of this is true or how much hype? It seems the Fantom's frame is five years old or older. Is the Fantom's frame design light years behind the competition or is this talk just hot air from people who want to justify spending twice as much as the Fantom? There really seems to be so much garbage being said out there it's hard for me to tell fact from fiction.

I think a lot of it is hot air,there are innovative designs out there like the Freedrive,I-Drive and others,but most of them seem to be tried and true simple designs.I happen to remember a thread talking about Yeti using the same design for several years and no one complaining about it,in fact it seems the consensus seems to have been"If it's not broken,don't fix it."I'm no expert on suspension design,but these are my observations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty5693
    Are there any difference in the actual frames between the comp, elite, or pro? is the only difference the components?

I believe they're the same frames.

Bushwacker
    I noticed Giant bikes have moved the rear shock bottom attachment to right above the bottom bracket. Some guy who just bought that design swears it's the coming of the new age in design. It just looks like they moved it down a couple inches, not much difference than the Fantom IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah I don't know that moving that down is exactly cutting edge tech.

Here's an example of my earlier post..

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...flux-4511.html

I don't know about you,but the suspension on these bikes don't exactly come across as revolutionary to me.They actually look pretty darn close to what the Moto's use except they're $1000 cheaper.I'm not saying they're not great bikes,but damn that's an expensive piece of metal!

Bushwacker
    Ouch! 14 big ones just for the frame.

I like the zerk lube ports idea but I can't see any in the photos?? With no bearings you'd have to keep it lubed up big time.

Funny how they tout the relocation of the shock for strength purposes only. That I guy I mentioned above said the relaocation of the of the shock was for improved handling. I'm smelling a little sales hype here...