mtbr member

For Fantom DS Pro/Comp/Elite/Team Owners

I'm getting ready to purchase a Fantom Elite DS in size small. They only have that size left and selling for $1300. I'm about 5'8" with a 30-31" inseam, so would the small be the right fit?

And more about the bike: what do you like/dislike specifically about the suspension? Is it plush, stiff, flexy, loose, pedal bob, brake jack, etc.? I have the cash to buy the Pro DS, but it doesn't seem worth the $300 to move to a Reba Race from the Recon 351 U-Turn Coil.

The other options are a Trek Fuel EX5 for $1600, Santa Cruz Superlight for $1500. But the components on those bikes are worse than on my Cliff 29er Pro. I'd rather have a few hundred left over for some new pedals, CK headset and perhaps some carbon fiber bars.
    "Got everything you need?"

DynoDon
    My Fantom Team suspension is doing a great job, front and rear, I have a Fantom Comp too, but I haven't ridden it much since I've gotten the Team in July, There is a big difference in the Reba Race, and the Tora U-Turn coil fork thats on the Comp, Not only the 2 lbs in weight, but the Reba is very adjustable. It does look like there are other differences also between the Pro, and Elite. I don't really know, I don't own them.
    As for the rear suspension, I set mine up pretty stiff, I like stiff, I weigh 220lbs with gear, I don't know bob, jack, flex or plush, that stuff don't happen on my bikes, the suspension does make it ride the ruff stuff, and downhills good, and the climbs go good also. If I was looking for plush, I'd have to ride in a helicopter, because the Michigan trails are rocky, rooted, sandy, washed out, twisty, and bumpy, but a great workout for me, and the bikes.
    Both of my bikes are 18.5's, and I have them set at max suspension, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
    The two bikes I have are 32+lbs(Comp) and 26 lbs(Team) it is a noticable difference on the trails, I can't tell you how much, or where the differences are, I can tell you, I've only ridden the Comp once when since I got the Team, the Comp is a nice back up bike/loaner. Good Luck on your new bike.
    I had a guy ask me about bob on my bike the other day, he was on a new Giant FS, I told him it didn't bob, I don't think he believed me, he was at least 30 yrs younger then me, he took off down one of our ruff trails, it took me a mile or so to catch him, but he got to see that it didn't bob when I passed him..LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Good to hear that the suspension design is solid. More than anything I'm sure it's more about the rider than the bike, especially at my fitness level. I'm not overweight, but I could stand to lose another 10-15#. Losing that would likely do more for me than a fancy suspension linkage. The Elite DS looks like a solid ride, just have to take all options into account over the next few days and make my decision.

Still kicking around the idea of swapping over all my 29er parts to a Big Mama frame, but upgrading the crankset, stem, bars, and wheelset in the process. But it sure would be nice to have a 29er hardtail AND a FS 26" trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just something to think about - You and I are the same height and inseam and I ride a Medium DS Pro. I'm willing to bet that the Small will fit ok but feel on the small side, whereas my Medium feels just slightly bigger but not too big at all with a shorter stem. It rides well and feels very comfortable. It might depend on how you ride though.

I really like the suspension design in that it is simple, works well, and seems nice and rugged. It bobs a bit but its really its not an issue as most suspension designs bob. The adjustable floodgate on the Monarch helps a lot, and I like to use my lockouts frequently depending on the trail. I figure if I bought it I'm sure as hell going to use it. You'll also learn how to spin more efficiently over time.

I also love my Reba. Its so light and stiff and buttery smooth. I'm still working on getting it dialed in though as its very adjustable.

After a season of riding the DS Pro I couldn't be happier with the bike. I could use an upgrade on my skills though

mtbr member
    yeah, my current 29er is a 17" and is pretty tight in the standover. However, everything else about the bike feels great. Looking at the geometry, the Fantom DS standover is 30.3" (+.75" in longest fork setting), whereas my bike is 30.9". I guess it's really not that much difference but it would be nice to have some clearance for the boys. The TTL on the Fantom medium is 21.59" and the Cliff 29er is 23". Since the reach feels great on the Cliff 29er, I suppose I should indeed be looking at the medium.