mtbr member

Fantom Comp DS/REBA Team 85/115mm travel

is anyone runing a REBA TEAM 85/115 on a fantom Comp DS by anychance?, i just want toknow if the bike feel good with this fork , since i dont know much about it and someone from lbs toll me that cuz the bike have the option for 5" on the back it wont feel right( that is not what i think tho)if i set it up to 5" on the rear shock, any advice , thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom Team DS comes with the Reba U-turn, and it is the same frame. So you should be okay. But you should be running 4 inches of travel in the back. If you are running 5 inches in the back with only 115mm up front the geometry will be a little screwy.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Former Bike Wrench
    I wonder how well those Fantom DS frames do with 1.5" stroke shock at 5" travel. That seems like an excessively high 3.33:1 leverage ratio. Seems like keeping it at 4" (2.66:1) is a good idea anyway.

mtbr member
    thx for the replys, and yes that is what i see that the team comes with a 120mm reba so it should do ok , thx again

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I wonder how well those Fantom DS frames do with 1.5" stroke shock at 5" travel. That seems like an excessively high 3.33:1 leverage ratio. Seems like keeping it at 4" (2.66:1) is a good idea anyway.
    I have mine set at the 5" setting. Why would the high lever ratio be a bad idea? I am new to FS bikes, so I really wouldn't know when it wasn't performing up to its best.

Former Bike Wrench

Max should be 3:1

Quote Originally Posted by munsonbw
    I have mine set at the 5" setting. Why would the high lever ratio be a bad idea? I am new to FS bikes, so I really wouldn't know when it wasn't performing up to its best.
    Lower leverage ratio will result in a more supple suspension because you generally need less PSI in the shock (this is a general statement, there are other factors involved here as well). And because there is less PSI and less stress (due to lower leverage) on the shock...it will last longer between rebuilds.

Suspension shocks are generally designed with a maximum 3:1 ratio. The Fantom DS exceeds this in the 5" setting. I've owned a couple full suspension bikes with very similar frame designs as the Fantom DS...one with a 3:1 leverage ratio and one with a 2.5:1 ratio and there was a significant difference in the tuneability of the suspension. The one with the 2.5:1 was much easier to tune.

IMO...quality of travel is better than quantity of travel so if I could better fine tune the bike in the 4" setting then that would be better than 5" bouncing all over the place.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the advice mtnbiker2. I only run about 100# at the 5" setting, but I will try the 4" next time for fun. Sorry for the highjack OP. As we were...

mtbr member
    thx every1 for the advices , learning a lot with them

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fantom Team came with no U-Turn!

Hi All,

I just got my Fantom Team bike today. I did not get the Reba Team with U-turn as advertised! I'm a bit upset as one of the big selling points for me was the U-turn feature on the fork. I just emailed them, hopefully I'll get a response soon.

I ordered the bike on 10/10/2008, and thankfully I printed out the webpage with the Fantom Team specs right after I ordered. It clearly shows the Reba Team with U-turn.

I'll keep everyone posted on this.

mtbr member
    wow, good luck on that one, i'm pretty sure they will fix it for you

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hope so too. Has your experience with Bikes Direct been good thus far?

mtbr member
    ywel my bike didnt have any problems , and i had no reason to call them, but i have a friend that his came with the rebound adjuster broken and he was dealing with them about it , ill post you when i get some info on it