mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Fantom Comp DS fork length limit?

I seem to remember reading that the comp ds frame was built with a shorter travel fork in mind. I currently have a Vanilla RLC at 130mm and am popping wheelies on even minor hills. I am wondering if this could be because the frame's balance point was designed around a shorter fork. Anyone tried a 100mm fork? Results? No doubt I am just getting used to the bike, but seems a little silly to ride wheelies all the time... I feel like I'm on a unicycle.

Thanks,
    Ben

Bushwacker
    Don't know the answer to your question but you may want to try bringing your seat and bar forward. Maybe that will balance it out.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I do not own one of these bikes, but it is my understanding that the rear can be set up with 4 or 5" or travel. It seems to me that if you have it currently set at 4" then using a 130mm fork would cause this problem. If so you could try setting the travel to 5".
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The bike is currently at 5" of rear travel. I am still dialing everything in. Lengthening the stem is on the short list after making sure I have the fork and shock dialed in. I am also focusing on technique. The riding position is very different than my early 90's vintage hardtail, which is classic XC.

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You could also lower your stem by taking spacers out of the bottom and putting them on top of the stem.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ljsmith, that's a good idea... it seams obvious, but I honestly was focusing on much more complicated items first. Swapping spacers takes 5 minutes to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My Elite DS came with a 100mm to 130mm travel adjustible fork and I think the frames are the same so no problem with the 100mm setting. I usually have it set to 115mm front because I like the handling there, and 5in in rear. Changing the rear travel does not change the hieght only the leverage on the shock.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Ben,

Hey its Matt. Hope you like the bike so far. On that fork you can adjust the travel internally with spacers. It is a bit of a pain so you might want to bring it to a shop. I had it at 100mm at one point and I think you will like it better. Puts it in more of a cross country position which helps on hills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Matt,

The bike is great. I kinda dig the dual control levers; it didn't take long to get the feel of them. I have resolved some of the wheelie issue by changing my riding style. My old hardtail had the bars about 6" below the seat in full-on XC mode. The MB has the seat 1" below the bars. A 7" difference in riding position surely will lead to balance issues. I will play around with the headset shims next ride and see if that helps. I like the more "all-mountain" riding position of the MB, I just need to get it dialed in. By the way, was the fork tuned by Push, or just rebuilt by them? If it was tuned, what was the rider weight?

Kneel Before Your Master
    It was tuned. Rider weight was 195. That is a huge difference in riding position. You might want to try to get it somewhere in between the two. I am also trying to dial in my riding position on my 29er. I have the bars about equal with the seat.