Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fantom Boost Trail 27.5+ ??

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  WillDaChill 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about this bike for a 68 year old novice who wants to do a little trail riding?

Save Up to 60% Off Plus FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane NEW Fantom Boost Trail NEW 27.5 PLUS Wheel Bicycles, Fat Bikes, Boost Mountain Bikes

I have a Specialized Crosstrail that I enjoy riding on the paved trails where I live, but I have trouble when I go off-road and get bogged down in softer trails and slopes. I think this might be a decent bike for an old fart like me to explore mountain biking, with out breaking the bank.

Thanks for any insight,
Dan

#2 ·
The only real weakness I see on that bike is the fork. If you aren't riding it very hard, it'll probably be fine. If you find that you need a better ride up front, look at Suntour's upgrade program.

https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

Any of those forks would be a substantial step up as they are all air forks, rather than coils. But if you aren't riding it hard enough to need anything better, just enjoy the bike!

#5 ·
I got this exact bike for the same reason and it has been great for me. I have only ridden bikes on paved surfaces before. I wanted to be able to ride on an abandoned dirt road in FL for exercise, but my old 26x2 would get stuck in the deep sand. I have this bike set up tubeless and with the tire pressure in the teens (psi). I can go wherever I want with it. I wish I could show you the difference in tire tracks, it's remarkable how much deeper my old bike goes into the sand and how much slipperier the old bike feels. The front suspension seems really nice to me, but I'm used to cheaper bikes. Going up and down curbs is relatively easy, compared to old bike, and that's about the roughest thing I do with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.