Thread: Which Fantom?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Which Fantom?

Let me start off by saying that I'm new here and this forum is awesome. I've been lurking around these digs for a few weeks now gathering information and experiences. My time to join the fold has finally arrived. I am looking at the 08' Fantom Comp or the 09' Fantom 29Pro from BD. They are the same price, and I can't decide which to pick. I'm 6'4 and 260lbs, so I was initially leaning toward the 29er, but the 26" comp looks to have slightly better components. Things like the Tora 302 vs 318 forks, and frame weight differences come to mind first and foremost. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Shift4g; 08-17-2008 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Are you new to biking, or just Motobecanes. I am just asking to figure out what it is you are looking for in a bike. Some helpfull things to know.

1. What type of trails do you ride?

2. Have you ever ridden a 29er?

3. What is your skill level.

In general I would recommend a 29er for someone your size because the bike will be more proportional to your body. But if you have never been on one, you should definitely go test ride a few before ordering on line to make sure you like it. They don' t necessarily need to be Motobecanes. 29ers ride a lot different than a 26er. A 26er may be easier to ride for a beginner though, because it accelerates and climbs easier because of the smaller wheels.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Frt Range, CO
    With your weight, you'll need the Tora 318 Air shock. They don't make a strong enough spring for the Tora 302 with your weight. Max is about 200lbs. So get the Fantom Pro29er, esp with your height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am just new to Motobecanes and have yet to ride a 29er (coming from a 9yr old FS Haro and Mongoose). I have been riding on a combination of road/path trails with the occasionally messy(dirt, branches, etc.) stuff. I would say I am at an intermediate skill level having been trail biking for many years. I have been away from it for the past year or so though.

I remember reading about being able to change the spring rate in the 302, but didn't realize the limit was 200lbs.

I was planning on taking a couple test rides whenever my LBS and others get some in stock, but just assumed a 29er would ride that much nicer for my build based on the raves they are receiving.

Thanks for the insight thus far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i have an '08 fantom comp and it's a damn good bike. I think they still have the 21" in stock, that'd most likely be the one you'd want. It's a great tail bike. gets the job more than done here in the Maryland tails.

Former Bike Wrench
    For your height and weight, I would strongly recommend either the Motobecane Fantom 29 Pro or the Windsor Cliff 29er Pro (which I own, you can read my thread about it). You will need the Tora 318 Solo Air as mentioned above...the 302 X-Firm spring is for 180+...most coil springs have about a 20-30lbs range so at best its good to 210lbs (remember, you need to include your riding weight including hydration pack).

I purchased my first 29er a few weeks ago and it rides better than any hardtail I've ever owned (I started riding 15 years ago and have owned 6 previous 26er hardtails). Read my thread to see why.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek223
    i have an '08 fantom comp and it's a damn good bike. I think they still have the 21" in stock, that'd most likely be the one you'd want. It's a great tail bike. gets the job more than done here in the Maryland tails.
    Sorry to steal your thread but I have been wondering the same thing. I want a new bike and am just about 100% on a fantom XXX not sure which one. Trek where in MD are you? I'm around schaffer not sure if you ever ride there, if you do let me know I would like to check out your moto. Just want to see one before buying you know. OP good luck with your choice.