mtbr member
    May 2008

Fantom 29Pro Adjust help!!!

Ok, I rode my Fantom Pro 29 about 20 miles total so far, and I am learning quickly that I need adjustments. If I put the seat as high as it needs to be for my legs to be straight with my heel on the pedal (pedal all the way down) like most sizing docs say, my hands KILL me because all of my weight is coming down on them. I guess the bars need to be raised. What do I need, and how do I figure out how high I need to go. Thanks in advance!

If it helps, I am 6' 3" 260lbs with a 34" inseam

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Check seat fore/aft position first

here's a site for fitting your bike.

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

Get the seat set correctly first, then the bars. I needed a 350mm seatpost to get mine setup correctly, but I have a 36" inseam and a 21" frame on my Fantom pro 29er. The stock seatpost was 250mm.

All my spacers on the neck are below the stem, except for one (about a 1/4"). Let me know if you need a pic. I can take one tonight.

Fullmetal
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks Fullmetal. I have a 29" frame, and laready ordered a new seat post. Even on that link you sent, it still does not seem as though there is a clear standard of how high the bars go. It does mention the difference between the seat height, and bar height for off road. Is that what I should use for a mountain bike? The handlebars should be about 2" or even with the seat height? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Handlebar height in relation to seat height determines how your body weight is distributed between the two wheels. This affects bike handling and climbing and descending ability. The following is a generalization.

For XC riding with lots of climbing you want the handlebars 1-3" lower than the seat. This keeps your weight more evenly distributed across both wheels which allows better climbing and handling in tight turns. The downside is that you are more endo prone in steep downhills. So if you are doing more AM, or XC with lots of steep downhills then you want the bars level with the seat or even higher. This keeps the weight on the back of the bike and makes you more stable downhill. So the best thing to do is determine what type of riding you want to do, and experiment with different settings to find what works best.

On a modern bike it is difficult to change handlebar height. If you have spacers on top of the stem you can move them to the bottom. You can also get a stem with more upward angle, or steeper riser bars. If you need to raise it a lot, Nashbar has an adapter that can raise it quite a bit, but it looks pretty cheesy.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I honestly am doing mostly road riding. I would like to base the height of the bars on that. What do you think would be best for that as far as how moch lower than the seat or whatever? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    On my road bike, I have my bars below the seat. I'm not sure how much, but I prefer a more relaxed position since I'm not a racer. That bike has an adjustable stem which is handy, but I wouldn't put one on a bike that I took off-road. Edit: My road bike has drop bars.

On my mountain bike, I have the bars about even with the seat. That's where I like it, but you may prefer something different.

Either you can adjust by trial and error or you can seek out someone who can help you with your bike. A decent LBS should be able to help you with the fit or you may be able to find someone willing to assist you by asking around or joining a bike club. There are a number of cyclists where I work, and I get their opinions every now and then.

I would use trial and error until you feel the need to buy a new stem or handlebars. That could get expensive if you guess incorrectly. It may be cheaper in the long run to just bite the bullet and visit a bike store.

Good luck,
    Fullmetal
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by desant89
    ...docs say, my hands KILL me because all of my weight is coming down on them...If it helps, I am 6' 3" 260lbs with a 34" inseam
    here's another take on hand numbness:
    It's not any part of the bike at all. I ride carbon flat bars, and my hands still go numb. I finally asked my doctor what the problem was and he told me I am 65lbs overweight, suffer from high blood pressure, and the numbness is a direct result of poor circulation....
    I've noticed as I get more fit, my hands take longer to numb and it's less bad than it used to be.

Eric

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Damn Pursuiter, I am not that fat...lol

I can fully understand that concept, but do not think that is my problem. I go to the gym 3x a week. Not gloating, but I am pretty solid, do I have a belly, don't we all? Honestly I had bloodwork done recently cause I was getting sick from the gym whenever I worked out really hard. When my bloodwork came back, the doc said I have the blood of an athlete. I am sure I can lose 20lbs, but given how I feel so akward with the seat at the correc theight, I am still leaning towards a bar height issue. I am leaning way to far down, there is no way for me to take the weight off of my hands with my current setup if my seat height is correct.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by desant89
    Damn Pursuiter, I am not that fat...lol...
    Just throwing it out there. I've got a belly too, but the 40's are starting to slide off my hips, might have to pull out a pair of 38's and see if i can zip 'em up Heath club, who needs it, I'm riding my bike