mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Fantom 29 for XC racing?

Anyone using their Fantom 29 for xc racing? I have one that I've been upgrading (Recon Gold fork, tires, wheels) and am thinking about using it to do a few 6hr races.

My Brain Hurts!
    Why not? 6hour races are more (obviously) about endurance and I would contend, the bike being durable.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmtnbiker1 View Post
    Anyone using their Fantom 29 for xc racing? I have one that I've been upgrading (Recon Gold fork, tires, wheels) and am thinking about using it to do a few 6hr races.
    What year is your Fantom29? I got a 2008 model frame. (it's black). I also have a Performance Access XCL 9r frame.The Access is lighter...if you are concerned about weight,and have $180 or so to spend...I would suggest the Access frame.
    ...just a suggestion.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    What year is your Fantom29? I got a 2008 model frame. (it's black). I also have a Performance Access XCL 9r frame.The Access is lighter...if you are concerned about weight,and have $180 or so to spend...I would suggest the Access frame.
    ...just a suggestion.
    I'll check into that frame...thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmtnbiker1 View Post
    I'll check into that frame...thanks.
    If you get one, get rid of the cheapo zero stack headset and seatpost collar that come with it,Performance sells a better collar cheap and the spare derailleur hanger is only 10 bucks,
    Forté Quick Release Seatpost Collar - Mountain Bike Seatposts

Forté Seatpost Collar - Mountain Bike Seatposts
    (I like the non quick release one better)-it's cheaper too.The silver "barrel" helps the collar to distribute the clamping forces correctly.This is especially important when using carbon seatposts...which require assembly paste like Tacx also.You need a 1 3/8 size with the Access frame.And ebay has some good cheap zerostack headsets like this one.
    WTB Team Internal Cartridge Bearing Headset 11/8" NIB! | eBay

Here's the der hanger
    Derailleur Hanger for Access XCL and XCL 29er Frames -

This frame along with the Sette Razzo are "sleepers". A lot of people will miss out because the Access is a house brand frame, not a Niner.LOL
    ...but if you ever see one, you'll say it could easily be a big brand frame,Real easily.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    i got my dad a 2010 fantom29. its pretty quick. it seems sturdy enough when i try to put it through its paces. im sure it would be a fine race bike with the right components.