mtbr member

Fantom 29 X9 vs Nine Iron

Ok gonna order my bike @ two weeks when my taxes return. I've bounced back and forth between these two bikes since the Nine Iron debuted. I like the steel frame but the X9 build is superior. Geometry looks close enough not to make any real difference ( I think?), and $100 price difference is about nothing. Any thoughts before I commit?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    For anybody who cares, I went with the X9. Just got her yesterday, gonna build her up today. I know I need a wider set of bars already, probably a different stem as well.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    gonna show pictures?..curious..i just bought one...is it cheaper/more expensive to build one up? are you buying all new part? used parts..just curious

mtbr member
    Yeah I'll post pics once I get my camera issues dealt with. Bought all new parts except for pedals. Just ordered a new FSA stem with lower angle and a Sette 710mm riser bar. Got some used pedals from LBS yesterday @ $10, a little banged up but better than the ones that come with the bike. I was surprised the seat stem was more than tall enough, and despite other peoples comments, the WTB saddle seems like it'll work for me. Still gotta get a set of slicks for my commute and good head light, but that'll have to wait til I get more money. I can't see how you could build one cheaper than buying one unless you had most of the parts already.

mtbr member

Here's the promised pics, with new bars (Sette Edge 710mm), Stem (FSA 100mm, 6 degree rise -/+), and grips (Sette lock-on's), and a beat up pair of Redline platforms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey Junior1210, how does your bike ride? I've been thinking about purchasing the same model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also how do you rate your stand over height due to the geometry/design of these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's awesome! i just ordered the same bike and im waiting for it to arrive in 4 days. I wanted to get the Q-tubes and stan's goop for the innertubes to resist punctures.

Your bike looks great. Many folks have told me the frame is weak and that why bd can sell them so cheap. Although, i haven't heard of any frame cracks on the Motobecanes, I'm hopeful it will be fine enough for me. tell us what you think.bb

mtbr member
    Lambshank, she rides great, I've got no complaints so far. Only problems are my lack of skill none with the bike, once I changed the stem, bars, and pedals to suit me.

Hiway my S.O. was fine. I was focused more on E.T.T. B.D. sizing chart was accurate for me. Once I was sure E.T.T. was right the S.O. fell right into place.

BMW Most of the people who trash on Motobecane frames have never even been in the same county as one. They hate on things they have no knowledge of mainly, I think, because they don't want to admit that they paid extra money for somebody's name on a down-tube and the idea that we got a bike as good (or I think) even better for less money, just kills them. My frame is well welded and solid as any I've ever witnessed. If the frame beaks, 98% of the time it's caused by USER ERROR. I mean as good as it is, if you huck this bike of a 10' cliff and survive, don't be surprised if the frame is less than optimal. While built well and can take a good bit of use and abuse, if you want to compete in the Dew Challenge or Red Bull whatever, these might not be the bikes to do it on. Where as if you want to ride the trails, commute, and just have a good time on, you would be hard pressed to find a better bike, especially at this price point. Also one of the other threads here tell you just where these frames are made (by Kenisis if I remember correct), and who else they make frames for.