mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Fantom 29 .vs 600 HT

This didn't get any action in the Clydesdale forum

6'1" 280 - Which Motobecane?

Greetings,

First post. I road biked in my teens and early 20's...haven't peddeled since. Because of my economic status, I've setteled on a Motobecane from bikesdirect (I can wrench - current motorcycle mechanic). When I'm in shape (the reason I'm getting back into biking) I weigh around 200-210. My Standover is 32 1/8" Can I get opinions on the HT600 .vs the Fantom 29? There's about a $100 difference, but I don't know the parts spec to know what's better for the money. My riding will be strictly pavement/gravel/dirt roads and hardpack trails. With the above in mind, should I size close to standover...or go with the 1-2" lower?

Thank you...I'm lost with (new) mtb technology!

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The 29'er would be the best bet for a big guy like you,also it has the better components.Oh,and get the 19" even though the standover will be tight,the cockpit will fit better then the 17" and that's more important.Hmm maybe you should consider the 17",man those 29'ers have huge standover heights don't they?

Former Bike Wrench
    I have gone from hardtails to several full suspension bikes to just recently a Windsor 29er (I picked it over the Motobecane mainly due to my preferance to SRAM over Shimano)

I'm 6' 215lbs and got the large (which is actually 21" c to t but 17.5" c t c which is similar to the 19" Motobecane) because I need a long top tube. Stand over is sacrificed but since I've been riding 5-6" travel full suspension bikes...which have squat for standover...I'm used to it

I would recommend for your size that you go with the 29er. Also, the 29er will be much more efficient for the type of riding your going to do.

BTW-beware of the 29er forum...mentioning anything Bikes Direct will not get much of a positive response. I can honestly say it took me a few years to buy a 29er because I was soooo turned off by the MTBR 29er forum. It was only after running into several 29er riders on the trail and talking to them did I start to look more seriously into buying one. Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you decide to get the Fantom29, spend the extra $200 and get the Fantom29 Pro. The reason is the Tora fork is better for heavier people (32mm stanction tubes are more rigid).The Dart3 will not be a good match for you.Look at the "sizing tips" info on bikes direct.com.It is true that you need One size lower than your regular 26er size.(example:If you ride a 19 inch 26er bike, you should get a 17 inch 29er).P.S. ...I can't find a better spec'ed $800 29er...ANYWHERE.I have asked others on the forums to tell me of one better, but got no replies.Because there IS NOTHING.Just make sure you get the Fantom29 Pro with the Tora fork.

Another Retro Grouch
    I answered your thread in the Clyde forum, it's the same stuff as all of these guys posted. Get the Pro29er with the Tora 318

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    ...BTW-beware of the 29er forum...mentioning anything Bikes Direct will not get much of a positive response. ..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys! Good info...especially the upgrade to the Pro.

Thanks again,

P

Former Bike Wrench

Sometimes, but not always

Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Look at the "sizing tips" info on bikes direct.com.It is true that you need One size lower than your regular 26er size.(example:If you ride a 19 inch 26er bike, you should get a 17 inch 29er).
    It is true that there is greater standover when comparing a 19" 26er with a 19" 29er BUT...You also need to take into account top tube length. I have always rode 19" 26ers but when looking at top tube length, I would also ride a 19" Moto 29er. So the sizing down theory works for some, and not for others. Take into account your height and body proportions. Longer torso'd guys (like me) often have to step up a size and fit a bike to their torso and not to their standover. On the flip side, short torso guys sometimes step down a size and have to run very long seatpost to compensate for long legs.

BTW-I would also recommend stepping up to either the Moto Pro or the Windsor Pro with the Tora Fork for your size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pulled the trigger on a Matte Slate Fantom 29Pro today, thanks for the info. I went with a 17". After looking at the Top Tube length, I didn't think 4/10ths of an inch would matter (? --> noob) the measurements were: 17" = 23.6 19" = 24.0. I think I'm pretty symetrical in the leg - torso - arm length...all average.

I also picked up a shock pump and the $140 tool set from nashbar...I also have all my motorcyle metric tools. I had a gift cert to Barnes & Nobel, so I got a free MTNB repair book (the one Gary Fischer does the forward in). What exactly am I looking at when the box arrives? I'm pretty psyched...thanks again for the help.

P

Edit: NM, just saw the post below...looks like anything from a few bolts to a complete build
    Last edited by Polypro; 08-08-2008 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am about to order myself and cannot decide between the 19 or 17 inch moto pro.
    I do not like that top tube close to the jewels so at 6ft 32in inseam I think I will also go with the 17.
    I had a GS Cake DLX 3 and felt like the 19 was to high.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went with the 17"...in my shoes, I'm at a 33" inseam and the TT is just grazing the jewels. You may neeed a longer seatpost...running the stock one at the minimum insertion point was still a little too short. The Cane Creek Thudbuster had the proper length.

P