mtbr member

Fantom 29 Pro Ti Geometry

I am planning on buying a Fantom 29 Ti when more become available, I like the trail setup with the thru axle Reba. But, the geometry page seems way off, does the bike really have a 651.9mm effective top tube in an XL size? That is almost a half inch longer than the Fly Ti frame, which seems strange for a bike that is supposedly set up as more of a trail rather than race fit. Has anyone received one of these yet (I know they are new) and if so, can you compare your top tube measurements vs. the spec sheet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't have an answer for you. But i can tell you that Motos geometry charts are not very accurate. Not much time or effort has gone in to making them right. For example, all the bikes that say "add 0.75" to standover due to longer fork". Well a longer fork does a lot more to geometry then just raise the standover. Also with the Fantom DS bikes, the top tube measurements are listed as effective top tube length when it is actually actual top tube length. Basically its buyer beware, because you never know what you are getting for sure. Hopefully someone can get an actual measurement for you.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got the Fly Team ti 29er with the 20 speed XO. I tried to order the one you were looking at but of course it was sold out and I did not want to wait. I did not know there was a difference in geometry between the two. If you need any measurements off mine let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm also awaiting the Bikes Direct (BD) re-supply in September. I'm getting the Moto Fly Team Ti 29er with the 2x10 XTR drivetrain. (I never use the smallest front cog on my current bike). My wife currently has a 2011 19" Fantom Pro 29er in Aluminum. It's my understanding the Fantoms are supposed to be more Trail oriented, but hers fits her in a more stretched forward, XC like position. Could be it's just a little long for her torso. She absolutely loves it though. Whether uphill or down, she's currently smoking me on our rides since she got the Fantom! Me? I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs, so I can't imagine any additional tube top length being a negative. Look over the reviews to find someone comparable to you in height,inseam, etc. All my research, review & ride experience leads me believe I definitely want the more laid out, XC style of the Fly Team series.
    I found the best way to find out about the bike you want is to send BD an email. They've been really great at answering all of my emails within 1 days time. List your stats and ask your questions. If they respond to you as they did me, they'll let you know what's the best fit for you. Good luck with your Moto. Post pics!!! I will too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got the 17.5 Fantom Ti sitting downstairs. I just ran down and measured it at 23.25 TT which converts to 590 mm and the spec sheet says 589. They are right on for that measurement. Let me know if you want any more measurements.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    I just ran down and measured it at 23.25 TT which converts to 590 mm and the spec sheet says 589. They are right on for that measurement.
    Jettore - Thanks for taking the time to measure that for me. I am going to assume that the rest of the sizes are spot on as well, so I will buy the 19 inch bike (which feels strange since I am 6'3"). Just curious, but how is the standover height for you on the bike? What do you think of the bike & bike fit overall?

Thanks,

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The frame finish is great on the bike. Welds all look good and the component build is great. I haven't been able to get out on a long shakedown ride yet, just a couple spins around the hood. Was planning a long ride yesterday, but we got swamped with rain. I've been playing around with adjustments for fit and think I have things close, but won't really know until I get a little saddle time. When I was ordering I was between the 17.5 and the 19 and after looking at the spec sheet and a few emails with BD I went 17.5. I'm 5'10 and have a 32" stand over. From my initial rides around the block the 17.5 was the correct choice.

I'll take a couple more measurements tonight and compare to the spec sheet and let you know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Did a couple more measurements. In no way were these done with super accuracy but I'd say except for TL were dead on. It's also a little tougher trying to measure it as accurately as the others.

TL
    Measured 609.59
    BD 615.2

RC
    Measured 450.84
    BD 450

FS1
    Measured 444.5
    BD 444.5

I also measured top tube height from the ground to around the middle of the top tube. Came in at 32.5 inches.