mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fantom 29 Pro sizing advice

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a Fantom29 Pro and debating the proper size. I'm about 5' 11-1/2" tall and my inseam is about 34" (with shoes). That puts me in the range of both the 17" (~30.9" standover) and 19" (~31.8" standover) frames. Are the standover numbers from the Motobecane web site accurate, or are there any additional adjustments required based on the fork used? Any opinions/experiences one way or the other are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i'm 6' w 34" inseam and got the 17" should have got the 19 - had to run a setback thomson at 12" to get good leg extension. so the frame went on the *bay but kept all of the sweet parts for frankin bike

FYI the 17" frame and hs cups are 4.58 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks much for the feedback. BD suggested the 19" might be a better fit as wll, although they also said the 19" model is probably out-of-stock until May (at least I know they're honest). Sigh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

???

I went to one of the stores which sales motobecane ( orlando, fl) , and the salesman recommend for me size17, I am 5,11 1/2"...

now what is the correct size?ummm

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Fantom 29 Sizing

I have a 17" Fantom 29. I am 6' 0" tall with a 33.75" inseam. I really like the Fantom 29 and ride primarily for fitness. I have been documenting my experience with this bike for nearly 3 years. See the post on how I selected the 17" frame:

http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.c...otobecane.html

MPG

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the feedback mpg. I had read your blog and found it very informative. Going back to original question, can anyone verify the standover on the 17" or 19" frames? The motobecane web site says:

17 inch 19 inch
    785 807

They don't give units, so I assume this is in mm. Converting to inches gives approximately:
    17 inch 19 inch
    30.9 31.8

There's nothing on the bikesdirect web site saying to add anything for the extra fork travel, but they seem about an inch lower than the number I've seen other people claim on blogs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 5' 11" and have a 32 inseam. I tried the 19 and 17 inch Fantom 29 pro and preferred the 17 inch. The stock stems seem long and plan to replace with shorter stem, still enough room to work with my 32 inseam. The 17 inch I find offers a more aggressive riding position and a bit easier to control. Most of my local bike shops suggested going down a size when going to the 29er. I purchased the pro 29'er and like the fit for my build. Hope this is of some help. I have about a inch clearance over the top tube.

Roger

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Standover Measurement for 17 inch Fantom 29

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRaf
    Thanks for the feedback mpg. I had read your blog and found it very informative. Going back to original question, can anyone verify the standover on the 17" or 19" frames? The motobecane web site says:

17 inch 19 inch
    785 807

They don't give units, so I assume this is in mm. Converting to inches gives approximately:
    17 inch 19 inch
    30.9 31.8

There's nothing on the bikesdirect web site saying to add anything for the extra fork travel, but they seem about an inch lower than the number I've seen other people claim on blogs.
    Andy

I just measured my Fantom 29 size 17 inch frame. I have 100mm fork travel and the standard 700x2.1 WTB tires. If you measure vertically from the floor at the crank center I get 30 inches.

Remember the top tube slopes so I don't know exactly where Motebecane measures standover. If you take a vertical measurement from the floor to where the top tube connects to the seat tube it is 28 inches. Where it connects to the steering tube it is 35.25 inches.

For your size, if you ride trails aggressively I would recommend the 17 inch. If you want to use it as a commutter bike, I would go with the 19 inch.

MPG

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi, I'm 5'8 with a 29.5" inseam, thinking about buying a Fantom Trail. My current plan is to do 75% road 25% trail riding, nothing advanced nor big jumps.

Is the 13" frame (28" standover) the right fit for me?

The 2011 Fantom 15" shows a 29" standover, can I still fit with barely a 0.5" clearance?
    The 2013 Fantom 15" shows a 31" standover which I assume is too high for me?

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am six feet tall and I went with a 19 (Gravity but I believe the fit is similar). It fits perfect. I prefer wider bars and shorter stems so I have a 720mm flat bar with a 75mm stem at minus 6 degrees I have the bars about 2 inches below my seat. I cant say enough good things about the setup. I would be scrunched on a 17. Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey peterk,what's your inseam (top to the book measurement)?

For 2012 Gravity 29er, 15.5" frame has a 29.685" standover, 17.5" has 30.512", and 19" has a 31.3" standover. It doesn't quite match Fantom's geo (15.5" : 31", 17.5" : 32.4", 19" : 33.8")

Thanks for you quick response!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the 21" 2012 Moto alum 29er and I'm 6'.

I think I could have done the 19, but the 21 fits fine- if I had a slightly shorter stem, it would be perfect.

My gf wants the 19 at 5' 9.5" but i have been pushing her to the the 17.5... the 19 might fit her though..

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm 6' tall, and have the 19 inch Fly Ti. Fits perfectly. I'm about a 33-34 inseam, and I too would have been scrunched on a smaller frame. In fact, my seat is pretty high up on the 19 incher. I'm running a 90mm stem with wider bars as well, and it's perfect.

Never ridden a 17 incher so I can't accurately say the 19 is better, but it's definitely not too big for me, that's for sure. I prefer having a shorter stem as well, but we're all different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Fantom Pro sizing

I just emailed BD with a similar question concerning the Fantom Pro frame size. I am 6' with a 33" inseam. They recommended the 19" for me. I asked about the unusually high stand-over, and Chris told me that they measure the Moto stand-over at the center of the top tube, while the majority of bikes (like the Gravity line) are measured from in front of the BB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 6ft and would also recommend the 19. I have the 21.

My Brain Hurts!
    Today I learned something interesting and tomorrow I am going to try and see if it holds true. I was in the local bike dealer and sat on a few 29'er full sus bikes. I was going with the adage that it is the top tube length/go one size smaller than normal for a 29'er. All of the smaller bikes felt, well, smaller. Too small.

I started trying out 19 - 20 inch frames and they felt right. My 26'er is a large frame (19") and so is my road bike.

I rode a friends Superfly for a spell today and it felt great! it was also a 19" frame and felt great.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemo View Post
    I just emailed BD with a similar question concerning the Fantom Pro frame size. I am 6' with a 33" inseam. They recommended the 19" for me. I asked about the unusually high stand-over, and Chris told me that they measure the Moto stand-over at the center of the top tube, while the majority of bikes (like the Gravity line) are measured from in front of the BB.
    Gee, they measure the standover height where a person stands over the bike! What a great idea!!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok ppl,

Just got a 17.5 put together, so now I have the 17.5 for my 5'9.5" GF- who says it fits her perfectly, and the 21" which feels a little big for my 6'.25" height.

Now I will say that the 17.5 felt way too small for me.

If my friend buys my 21" ill buy the 19"- and post pics of all 3 with me on em.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also have a Fantom 29Pro sizing question...I would have started my own thread, but I am newly registered.....so pardon me if I hijack this thread that poses the same question I have......

I am 6'6" with a 36"inseam....I am looking at either a Fanton 29Pro or ProSL...in a 21" frame.

The frame geometry chart says the standover height for a 21" frame is 35.2" and effective top tube is 25.7. Most of you who have posted in this thread are right around six-foot....does this bike fit consistent with other frames with similar SO and top tube lengths? The measurements on the 21" 29Pro are larger than the Fantom 29 X7 in a 23" frame.

Thanks!
    Last edited by PNWJim; 11-22-2012 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Fantom 29 Pro sizing advice

Idk if this helps, but I'm a lanky 6.5 foot. And the 21 felt too big. Love the 19.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wait, you are 6'6" tall and the 21 is too big? In which way is it too big?

To those of you who said that your bikes were too big for you, in which dimension did it feel to big? Were you reaching too far for the bars? Could you not stand over your bike, unable to reach the ground?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great posts. I am 6" with a 33-34 inseam (with shoes) and am considering a 19. Looks like I have time to work it out as they are out of stock.......

I am upgrading from my 1996 Gary Fisher Montare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is the frame and sizing the same for the Fantom 29 Pro as the Fantom 29 Trail?

I'm 6' and it says I should get a 17.5 but from what people are saying it sounds like the 19 is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm curious about the 21" and it's standover height also. I'm 6'5" with a 34" inseam. I've been using one of the 23" motobecane adventure elites. Reach is fine, but a bit tall for technical/rocky trails. I got "high centered" and had a good crash because I couldn't get my feet under me before falling down a cliff. It sounds like the 19" might be the way to go, but I am somewhat concerned with reach because I have a really long torso.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How about something in between, big jump from 23 to 19''

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ended up getting the Gravity 29.2 in a 21", and it fits pretty good. 6'5" with a 34" inseam. Get a litle under 2" standover.

The 21" gravity actually has a longer wheelbase and feels bigger than my 23" motobecane elite hybrid. I tried out a 19" fantom 29er, and it felt cramped.