mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Elite Sport or 400ht ??

Im gonna be buying my first "real" bike here soon. Im just torn between these two bikes. One is a 29er which i guess is all the rage but the other has disc brakes? Im in upstate ny where there are A LOT of trails, from beginner to expert. I am however moving to florida in a few months when Im guessing things are going to be a little less hilly. I know there will be trails just not sure if it will compete with upstate ny. So which one would I benefit from more?

I have been riding a dept store bike for a while and its starting to fall apart/ So I figured now is the time to get something a bit better and see if its worth it. Im 5'11 170lbs pretty fit and will be riding daily. Im not super rough on my stuff but it needs to be able to take some rough stuff just incase. Any opinions would be greeeeeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also I jsut looked and the Elite 29er has a 17.5 and a 19 inch frame but no 18. Then the 400ht has an 18. Im like 5'10.5-5'11 so I was thinking an 18 would be perfect. I kinda confirmed this at the LBS the other day. If I got with the 29er would anyone recommend the 17.5 or the bigger 19?

mtbr member
    Go for a 450 HT over the 400 HT. Nicer stuff.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11'+ and got a 19 so you will probably be good with 18 but you did the right thing by going to the LBS for some fitting advice - it has to feel right to you! I would also recommend the 450ht oppose to the 400ht - .. can you tell Pizzaguy and myself got the 450ht ?? Best of luck!
    2013 Motobecane 450HT

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    jcd46, I got an 18" (5'9.5"). Geometry feels pretty good for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Elite Sport is a hybrid with narrower stock tires. I read it'll fit most tires up to 29 x 2.0 though.

Check the standover of Elite Sport. I'm guessing the 17.5" would fit you.

Personally I'll go for a 29 or 26 mountain bike if you ride trails instead of a hybrid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Pizzaguy View Post
    jcd46, I got an 18" (5'9.5"). Geometry feels pretty good for me.
    Nice ride Pizzaguy saw your posting I was debating between white & orange didn't like the black too much, looks very clean in white - hope you get it dirty very soon!
    2013 Motobecane 450HT

"You will never ride alone"

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    No indication that the OP has purchased a bike yet, so I'll give my $0.02. The 400 Ht is a way better deal than the Elite Sport. Better components + its a real mtb. But if you can afford it, get the Elite Trail. Same specs as the 400ht but has bigger wheels. If you're not going to be going too fast then 1 5/8 tires should be enough. If you're going to be doing anything fast then stick w/ the 400 or 450.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    No indication that the OP has purchased a bike yet, so I'll give my $0.02. The 400 Ht is a way better deal than the Elite Sport. Better components + its a real mtb. But if you can afford it, get the Elite Trail. Same specs as the 400ht but has bigger wheels. If you're not going to be going too fast then 1 5/8 tires should be enough. If you're going to be doing anything fast then stick w/ the 400 or 450.
    If you are riding real trails with big rocks and roots and broken branches and all other sort of stuff you find in the woods, I wouldn't suggest riding narrow 700 cc wheels, even if they got knobs on them. You will wreck and break your face. Personally i got a 400ht but I'd advise getting the highest __ht model u can afford. 450, 500, 600 700ht, they will all fair alot better than a 700cc bike. I rode my 400ht for about a month and it did ok on the trails i guess. I live in Arkansas and we got mountains and woods, and the bike held up alright. The stock kenda blackwall tires suck if you are flying on the trails. They got a center tread that runs unbroken around the entire length of the tire that really sucks at steep climbing. First thing i did was stick a nevegal in the rear. I could never get the tektro brakes to work very well either. It was nearly impossible to lock and skid the rear tire. ANd they howl like wolves at a full moon. Switched those out for BB7's.

And the suntour XCT fork. Maybe i got a dud or mine just had way too firm of a spring but i could not compress the fork unless i did a jump. I could not compress the fork by pushing down on the handlebars with my hands. Switched that out for a manitou. The Suntour xct crankset works pretty good, but every few weeks i would tighten the cranks cause they get loose. The stock pedals broke after a few months so I got some new Wellgo 132's. The center of the stock pedals are made of plastic and the axle just busted throughafter some hard landings. The stock wheels I must say can take a beating. I've rode the heck out of them and they are still quite true. The rear cog really sucks. They are DNP brand cassettes and I had multiple broken teeth after a month. Switched that out for a shimano hg51.

And then I upgraded a whole lot of other crap too, cause I had the upgrade bug. Only thing really left that is stock is the frame and the wheels. My point is you're probably going to upgrade all the stuff sooner or later so might as well just get the best you can afford now. But don't take 700cc narrow tires out on a real mountain trail. You could die. The "trail" in Elite Trail is meant for loose gravel or hard packed dirt, at modest speeds. If you're cornering fast on a trail that's got twigs, branches, leaves, acorns, pine needles, and rocks, those big narrow tires are going to slip. BTW, I am 5'10'' 165 lbs and bought the 18" model. I actually found it a little too big. But after I shortened the stem and widened the handlebars, it fits perfect.

I must say though, this motobecane frame can take a beating. I've done 4 foot jumps, blasted down trails that resemble stairs, crashed a few times, and the frame has held up well. It's definitely upgrade worthy. Ebay has these frames for around 120 bucks and I think its the same frame on all the HT models.
    Last edited by JohnDoH; 10-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Sorry, I may have been a little unclear. Most recreational riders will be looking for an all rounder bike. You can get an CX bike or an Elite hybrid. These are both OK for gravel, road and some very light trails. But you are right. I have had my heart skip beats after sliding out at relatively slower speeds on dirt. (I have the Elite trail) I would recommend the Elite to recreational riders and x00ht to those more serious. Of course, you could replace the wheels and tires on the Elite and run 29 x 2.0 wheels.