mtbr member
    Jun 2011

The downside to dealing with a company through email

I had just posted the other day about how BD service has been great for me so far in this thread: bikesdirect.com comes through for me again

Well last Thurs I noticed that shock oil was leaking out of my fork and contacted Matt to see if this was something covererd by warranty. He got back to me within several hours as usual and asked me to check some things on the fork. I replied with a detailed description and some pics, and haven't heard anything since then.

I just want to know if this is a problem that is covered under warranty or wether I have to drag my bike 2hrs to my local shop. I am missing out on some great riding weather this week and if I had gotten a reply last Friday telling me to take it to the shop, I'd be riding right now instead of waiting for a reply.

Not a happy camper right now. Though my poploc lever replacement did show up on Saturday. So there's that I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    True. This is essentially the downside of dealing with a small internet business.

If it cheers you up, you can think of it this way: with the money you saved, you could buy a second bike.

I have two road bikes and a second mountain bike in the works for situations such as yours. Of course, they're not identical. I couldn't justify buying two similar bikes (i.e. two hardtails). I currently have a 29er HT and plan on buying a 26er FS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I took the bike to my local shop today and they are going to contact SRAM about warranty repair for me. If it's not covered, it's getting sent to PUSH for a rebuild. Either way, at least a week without my bike and we are having some fantastic weather right now. Figures.

I am more concerned with the lack of communication from BD than my mechanical problems. Until I replied with the pics and detailed description, my emails had always been replied to within the same business day. It's been two full business days and "crickets".

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm sure I wouldn't be happy either. To be fair, they may be waiting to hear from the OEM as to whether it is going to be covered under warranty.

I know people who have had to wait for a week to hear whether their auto dealership is going to cover a blown motor costing thousands of dollars, mainly because the decision was made by a regional manager who was behind on email or dragging his or her feet.

Hard to know without asking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Communication is the key here. If BD is waiting, they should let me know.
    I've emailed three times now for information, with no reply. The LBS thinks it will be covered under warranty. Guess I'll find out soon.

I am going to be purchasing a FS bike by the end of the year and was considering a BD bike again as I've been a satisfied customer until this experience. Lack of communication will drive my business elsewhere I believe. If you only use email for business communications, you better keep the customer in the loop as there is no other way to inform the customer as to what is in process and we have no other way to contact them.

After being a staunch BD supporter for the last year, this is tarnishing my opinion.
    Last edited by 07stiltd; 05-14-2012 at 11:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't agree at all. When we buy an online brand that cost half the price, we do sacrifice somethings, potential slower turn around and having to assemble partly yourself. Shocks break and need servicing all the time and even lbs can take some time to fix it.

As mentioned, u can buy a backup bike with the savings and then you have way more reliability than any one bike. Online purchasing gives you the most reliability/ dollar.

Buy that full suspension now, that'll be second bike.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's