mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Does anyone actually own a Windsor Cliff 4500?

I've been looking at this bike for some time and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

I'm new to mountain biking (coming from a road bike) and I was also looking at the hardrock sport, and giant rincon. Comparatively, this bike has much better components than these other two (giant and spec both have RST or some other junk forks). I'm not too thrilled about the tektro disc brakes on the Windsor but it could be worse. I see the Windsor as a slight upgrade in components for a slightly cheaper price so why not.

Basically I just want something I can mess around with on trails when I need a break from the road bike. I'm not sure how involved I will get into it so the $350 price tag is most appealing (student). I volunteer at a bike co-op so I would be comfortable doing repairs on my own as opposed to paying for them at a LBS.

So does anyone own one and have any opinions? Or should I steer towards a Moto 4/5/600 ht? (Although as I move higher up in the BD line, I would feel that my money would be better off towards a rockhopper - which is why I want to keep it around 350-400.)

mtbr member
    I will have one here in the next few weeks. I do a lot of rigid 29er mountain biking and I would like to drag my wife out to some trails this year. She was in a car accident a number of years ago and as a result still has some neck issues. A soft fork is a must in her situation.

We dont want to dump a ton of money into a MTB for her yet as we dont know how much she would enjoy it- but I would like to find a cheap entry level MTB with an acceptable suspension fork for her to try out. Basically the cliff 4500 fits the bill for what we are in the market for.

If no one else chimes in I will let you know how the bike looks and feels when we get it.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

Motobey

ref windsor

I had a fellow mtr that had one and said the frame broke on him. When I was trying to do my upgrade I was looking at the windsor also.
    I took the hint and got the Motobecane 400ds because I like the frame desing better. I have really abuse my moto and she keeps delivering good service. for the money I would recomend the moto. I'm a heavy guy so you may need a softer spring for wife.
    For the student I cannot coplaint about me moto. I have riden it i Alafia State Park here in Fl and I can not complaint about my moto. the Tet brakes still work as good as when I got the bike, great performance. That's my view.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Bushwacker
    I just looked at the .09 Rockhopper entry level model listing for $650 and it seems like a subpar deal to the windosr/moto's. The RH has linear pull brakes and lower quality gears. If you can afford it you might want to consider the Moto 700 HT with Deore/Deore XT gears and tectro aquila brakes which are better than the tectro IO's on the windsor. I have the aquila's on my bike and find them to be excellent non-hydralic brakes when you take the time to set them up properly. I don't own one of the bikes you're considering but thought I'd chime in.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been thinking about the 4500 as well for my starter bike. I'm a student too and have other expensive hobbies so money is tight and seems like for the price they are pretty good. I dont know about the frames breaking down but I thought that the frames were the same or at least came from the same manufacturer as the motos.For me its gonna either be the 600ht or the 4500. The 600ht as some nicer compoents but its more cash. And i know it shouldnt matter but I kinda dig the white paint on the 4500. So to add a question to the thread for the money is the 600ht that much better than the 4500?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    I had a fellow mtr that had one and said the frame broke on him. When I was trying to do my upgrade I was looking at the windsor also.
    I took the hint and got the Motobecane 400ds because I like the frame desing better. I have really abuse my moto and she keeps delivering good service. for the money I would recomend the moto. I'm a heavy guy so you may need a softer spring for wife.
    For the student I cannot coplaint about me moto. I have riden it i Alafia State Park here in Fl and I can not complaint about my moto. the Tet brakes still work as good as when I got the bike, great performance. That's my view.

Thanks for the heads up. My wife is 5'2, probably weighs 110lbs or so. She is also probably not going to be too aggressive on it so we should be safe- even if the frame is inherently weak.

Those motos do look appealing and I am considering either a moto or a cliff 29er later if I want a full gear setup and a soft fork.
    -Jeremy
    08 Redline D440
    Nashbar 'cross frankenbike
    11 Scott CR1

Motobey

designs

The moto has better design frame than the cliff. The manufacturer last time I check was Kentty frames.

I'm very satisfy with my moto.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well I did end up buying the 4500 in December. All in all I'm very happy with the bike. Just a note on where I'm coming from, I've been road biking for a little more than 2 years and I wanted to start xc mountain biking. I've mainly used the bike on fire roads and some single track in Marin.

The price was good, I got it in December when it used to be $349 - you can't really beat that. The dart one fork, although entry level, fits my needs perfectly - I'm doing mostly xc and single track, no huge jumps. The disc brakes (low end tektro) work great but I could not for the life of me unscrew the adjuster bolt which ended up stripping (so I couldn't adjust them at all). I contacted BD about this and apparently the adjuster bolts were installed with loctite. That seemed a little weird to me, but I didn't mind because they sent me a new pair of disc brakes for free. I don't think this is specific to the 4500 as other bikes in the line up use tektro IO mechanical disc brakes.

Sometimes the rear derailleur will skip but that is a pretty simple adjustment. Only picture I have:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    How's it shift and does the frame seem pretty sturdy. Also is there clearance to fit a wider tire?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd say that out of the box, the shifting is just ok. Before any adjustment, the derailleur would sometimes skip gears or it would sound like it was in between gears, but I'd say this type of problem is an easy fix with a hex wrench and the park tool website. While the bike will ride pretty much out of the box, it's a good idea to have some tools to do your own tweaking.

I'd say there is clearance to fit a wider tire but I can't really say for sure right now as I am at school and the bike is at home - several hundred miles away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool thanks bro. Im still decidin between a 4500 and a 600ht...

mtbr member
    I know this is a old thread but im looking at getting a Windsor Cliff 4500 and would someone who has one like to comment on what they think, quality, reliability and thoughts wuld be extreml helpful

Also if you could post some pictures beacuse all i could find was the sandard internet whtie background, manufctures pictures... and i would like to see real ppictures befoer i purchase the bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Windsor Cliff 4500

I've had mine for about 2.5 months now and I love it. I recently crossed over from road biking and this was my first mountain bike since I was kid basically. I've taken it out on a few trails and it performs fairly well. As was mentioned earlier - out the box the shifting needs some adjustment, but after that it rides very well. I stay in the lowcountry of SC, which pretty much means NO HILLS...but it handles well everywhere I've taken it. Just tackled West Ashley Greenway last weekend and about to head up to Marrington Plantation as soon as my pass comes back.

Pros: Decent beginner mountain bike; rides and handles very well; fairly lightweight solid frame; nice components; compliments everywhere I go!

Cons: Rock Shox Dart 1 forks (a lock-out would have been great), rear derailleur needs adjustment out of the box. ( which was simple enough to adjust)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Included a pic of the bike and two of some spots of WA Greenway. If anyone wants any pics of the bike or components with more detail, just let me know.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm stuck between the 600HT and the Haymaker 1500..
    I have no interest in any bike below this line ($399).
    I was looking at the windsor that was on sale but the sky blue color doesn't work with me ha.

What do you guys think between 600HT and 1500? I'm itching to buy the 1500, because of the price. If i go with a Motobecane 600HT, i'll kick myself in the butt for not getting a 700HT and if i bought a 700HT i would kick myself for not buying a 29er or a phantom...haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

windsor 4500

im thinking about getting the windsor 4500. how do the stock brakes work out. and how is the fork. would both of those things need to be upgraded at a later time. some reviews ive read say they are both crap but others say they are decent.

Old & Slow
    I can't speak for the Windsors, but if you can spend the extra $100, the Moto 700HT is a very good bike for the price. Excellent frame, and just about every component is a major upgrade from what's spec'ed on the 4500. Easily worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thans alot SanDiego Dirt. ill look into the moto 700.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmsdini
    I will have one here in the next few weeks. I do a lot of rigid 29er mountain biking and I would like to drag my wife out to some trails this year. She was in a car accident a number of years ago and as a result still has some neck issues. A soft fork is a must in her situation.

We dont want to dump a ton of money into a MTB for her yet as we dont know how much she would enjoy it- but I would like to find a cheap entry level MTB with an acceptable suspension fork for her to try out. Basically the cliff 4500 fits the bill for what we are in the market for.

If no one else chimes in I will let you know how the bike looks and feels when we get it.
    Sweet bike so far..... Good sturdy all gears work properly. Maybe upgrade shox later but 100mm travel is fine for now..

mtbr member
    Windsor blew my mind.. Totally light N tuff.. Deore gears Rock Shox, Double wall rims..
    375.00 New delivered 411.00

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31
    im thinking about getting the windsor 4500. how do the stock brakes work out. and how is the fork. would both of those things need to be upgraded at a later time. some reviews ive read say they are both crap but others say they are decent.
    They work as good as a bike I tested @ Bike Sport Shop ATX which costed 4500.00
    SOLID.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Windsor Cliff 4500

This last Father's day my son bought me a used Winsor Cliff at The "Re-Cyclery" bicycle shop In Lawrence, KS. I had been riding a Magna bicycle I bought at Target which weighed about 50 pounds before he bought me the Windsor Cliff.
    I am not a trail rider - I am 61 years old and my son took me riding on a singles trail once. I flew over the handlebars of my Cliff three times going down into some gulleys - the disk brakes worked too good! My front wheel locked up and over I went. I think I broke - or at least severly bruised some ribs on the last crash. That was the last time I attempted riding that trail.
    I have ridden about a thousand miles this year on my Windsor Cliff 4500 on paved bike trails. I started out riding at about 225 pounds in April and am now riding at a weight of less than 185 pounds. My cliff has handled my weight flawlessly. With those big knobby Velociraptor tires on the cliff I haven't had a single flat yet (my son has had about twelve flats so far on his bike.
    Everything on the bike has held up well. I have not had to perform any maintenance - other than lubrication of chain etc. No bearings have gone bad - nothing has broken.
    I love how it shifts - very smoothly. And I really like it's looks. It is very distinctive and rare - I have not seen another Windsor Cliff the entire time I have ridden this year and I averaged riding four times a week at least until the weather turned cold here.
    I would recommend the Windsor Cliff 4500 to anyone.