mtbr member
    Jan 2009

dissapointing news about Fantom Trail

So my nightmare came true today when I got home and opened the box that housed my brand new fantom trail.

After unwrapping the cardboard that was taped around the frame, I noticed both the top and bottom frame where it meets at the neck was cracked in two. I could literally see inside the freakin tube.

As most of you know, BD does not provide a customer service contact phone number. So now begins the dreaded email chase. Let's hope I can just get my money back and move on.

I've got no gripes with BD as long as getting my refund doesn't become an issue.

I'm just wondering about this frame....how could this "hard ass" aluminum frame just crack after possibly just being thrown around in transit? Or was it just boxed this way without notice?

I wonder this because when I rode my Jamis XC that was purchased back in '01, it took some hellfire beatings from me and held up like a champ. But this Motobecane gets thrown around a bit and cracks in two? hmmm....

I don't get it...

Hey, Mike from Bikes Direct....we need to talk

Bushwacker
    Hey, I've worked on loading docks. They could have put a 500lb crate on it...whoops.
    That's mail order buying. Send them an email, they'll ship it back and send you a nice shiny new one and life will be good. It was just a fluke.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Photo?

mtbr member
    Nobody else finds it odd that a person with 3 posts, who joined a week ago, writes a long and menacing comment toward bikesdirect, alleging some unheard before damage on a frame he allegedly received, before actually contacting them and trying to resolve the issue first?

I want to see a picture of the box and of the frame. While it is definitely possible, I just find the story to be a bit hard to accept without some better details and pictures.

banned
    I want to see a pic as well, but not because I'm doubting. I want to see how badly a frame can be destroyed in transit. This story is no less believable than the multiple 1 post "HEY, HOW CAN BD MAKE THEIR BIKES SO CHEAP", so Mike chimes in with his spiel all over again. No less believable than the shilling that was going on over at the Ibex forum as well, yet another questionable vendor.

Another comment that needs to be addressed is that mtb frames are usually strong for what they're designed to do and where the impacts and forces are coming from, not direct impacts to the frame from shipping and other such handling. Mishandle or misuse anything outside of its design and it will get damaged.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's a valid point Jerk_Chicken...which is why I don't have any gripes with BD...I'm sure there's a ton of happy Motobecane owners out there...more power to them.
    But I just don't feel like dealing with the unknown...I took a gamble and I lost...whatever, **** happens. I just wish there were some customer service phone number so that I can use them as an outlet instead of this forum. I am writing this hoping that Mike from BD will see it and contact me sooner than later. And also, because before I purchased the bike, I read through this forum and didn't notice anything "buyer beware" threads with pics of damaged frames....
    and as far as pics....I'll post them tonight....
    just to make Curmy happy...

mtbr member
    I am not yet sure how you have lost anything yet - transit damage does happen. It should be replaced.
    I am trying to understand how you can rip a headtube off without visible damage on the package. Maybe if you drop it, and it lands inside the box on fork? Bizarre.

I hope this is a fluke, from all accounts I have seen so far, and from personal experience, frames as well made as any other. Here are some pictures of Mountain Bike Action hacks visiting a dirt jump park on a Fly Team Ti of the last year.
    They proceeded to give it a very nice review. I guess it did not fold.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    my point exactly Curmy....it is bizarre. But whatever man, I'm not trying to knock anyone's hustle. I guess I just ordered a dud. s**t happens, right...
    When you see my pics...you'll understand.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Bikes direct only imports the bikes from Taiwan and them ships them to whoever orders them. It would be interesting to see the damage rate of bikes direct bikes and bikes shipped to bike shops. I would guess that the damage rate is about the same, but of course a good bike shop has a chance to inspect the bike before the sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just received my fantom frame this week. There was cardboard like papertowel cardboard on the main tubes. They had plastic spacers for the rear dropout. There was no bubblewrap or anything. I was shocked that the frame was loose, rattling around inside the box. There were very minor defects (like 2 places where the paint had rubbed the box) which was kind of disappointing. However, after falling off the frame on my first ride, I added more significant scratches. Oh well, so is life! I was surprised at the lack of padding, but the bike came in suprisingly good shape.

Thanks Motobecane!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sorry, but the pics are going to have to wait until tomorrow. the bike is at my parents' house and i'm not about to bother them tonight just to prove a point. and for those of you wondering...i posted this thread minutes after sending an email to bikesdirect because i know that this forum is monitored by Mike from bikesdirect. and guess what..maybe that got his attention or maybe not, but i got a call this morning from one of their reps. they were cool and understanding about the whole thing and simply asked me to take pics of the damage so that they could file a claim with UPS.

They said they would issue a refund as soon as the bike was received, which UPS (oh, snap) will pick up on monday.

Listen, I will say this again...for those of you who are enjoying your motobecane's...more power to you! I hope your frame last long enough to pass on to your kids, because God knows most of us still ride because it brings us back to our youth. But unfortunately, my kids or nephews or whatever will not be getting a motobecane from me...sorry bruh..one chance is all you get with me.

I purchased another bike that I'm happy with and that's that....

bottom line...if you want to purchase a bike from BD and don't mind the wait or the headache that might ensue if your frame comes cracked to s**t...that's your prerogative.

However, you can rest assured, that after sending a few emails, someone will get back to you. They are a legit company and I feel that they will do whatever it takes to please their customer's.

Unfortunately for them, in my case, I waited long enough for my bike and dammit I wanted to hit these trails this saturday. that's just the way i'm wired.

don't fret curmy....I'll post pics tomorrow.....

happy trails...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    *bump*
    Last edited by bleedingisoptional; 01-31-2009 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedingisoptional
    bottom line...if you want to purchase a bike from BD and don't mind the wait or the headache that might ensue if your frame comes cracked to s**t...that's your prerogative.
    While packing on my Fly Ti (and Dawes fixie before that) was not the very best I have ever seen, it was adequate. Frankly, this is the first time I have ever heard of this type of shipping damage, and I am paying attention to forums and such for quite some time.

You already got another bike? That was fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    While packing on my Fly Ti (and Dawes fixie before that) was not the very best I have ever seen, it was adequate. Frankly, this is the first time I have ever heard of this type of shipping damage, and I am paying attention to forums and such for quite some time.

You already got another bike? That was fast.
    judging from the box's condition when I received it, I felt like the bike was surely going to be in good shape. The only thing I noticed was an indentation that was about the length of the box from top to bottom. It sort of looked like the kind of indentation you make with a piece of cardboard when you fold it in half.

With that being said, and keeping in mind the email that was sent by BD informing me that "if the box looks a little [beat up] to go ahead and sign for it anyway because they're confident that the bikes are packed correctly..", I felt confident that a new Fantam Trail was just waiting to be assembled.

And mind you, judging from what I saw, email or not, I would of signed for it. Because that was the only thing that was wrong with the box. There were no tears or any obvious abuse to the box. It was just my luck that a cracked frame is what came out.

You already got another bike? That was fast.....
    After selling my Jamis XC and doing a month long research on what my next purchase would be, I was more than ready to put my Moto together and hit the trails once it came. That whole month of not riding and then having to wait a week for the bike to come, had me feeling like a crackhead going through withdrawals man...you don't know how much I love to ride.
    So yea, I was pissed when my bike came the way it did, but I unf**ked my situation by going to my LBS that same night and droppin plastic on a Giant XTC2....and now I can get my fix on the trails. Done deal.
    Last edited by bleedingisoptional; 01-31-2009 at 04:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tj90
    I just received my fantom frame this week. There was cardboard like papertowel cardboard on the main tubes. They had plastic spacers for the rear dropout. There was no bubblewrap or anything. I was shocked that the frame was loose, rattling around inside the box. There were very minor defects (like 2 places where the paint had rubbed the box) which was kind of disappointing. However, after falling off the frame on my first ride, I added more significant scratches. Oh well, so is life! I was surprised at the lack of padding, but the bike came in suprisingly good shape.

Thanks Motobecane!

ride your s**t till the wheels fall off brother...and i mean that with every good intent

happy trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sorry to hear about your situation, that does suck. But is seems rather hasty to go buy another bike because you got one damaged by UPS. The Fantom Trail is a great deal, and there is no way you bought a bike locally that was a better deal, so it doesn't make much sense to me. I work on lab equipment for a living and I do installs quite often. Every now and then, despite how the stuff is packed, even the heavy duty stuff will get damaged pretty bad in shipping. It happens, and it isn't my companies fault and does not mean the quality is bad. Additionally I basically order all my bikes/frames by mail order, and the Motobecane was not packed any poorer than anything else I have bought.
    If you are happy that is all that matters though, have fun on your new bike!
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

here are the pics of my dissapointing Fantom Trail

here as the pics as promised...i have more of the box and one more of the frame at a different angle. I'll upload them when the super bowl is over. My girlfriend keeps nagging me to get off the computer...and she's the one making the dip so i think it'll be smart to oblige for now....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Somebody must have really whacked this thing on the fork. Look at the thickness of the tubes. No way it is any sort of a manufacturer defect in any form or shape.

Since you already bought a different bike - good luck with it. You missed out on a good deal - and in no form or shape should you have blamed bikesdirect for that. Carrier damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Somebody must have really whacked this thing on the fork. Look at the thickness of the tubes. No way it is any sort of a manufacturer defect in any form or shape.

Since you already bought a different bike - good luck with it. You missed out on a good deal - and in no form or shape should you have blamed bikesdirect for that. Carrier damage.

Thanks. I will enjoy my new bike...but for the record..."in no form or shape" did I blame BD. I was just reporting what happened to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedingisoptional
    here as the pics as promised...i have more of the box and one more of the frame at a different angle. I'll upload them when the super bowl is over. My girlfriend keeps nagging me to get off the computer...and she's the one making the dip so i think it'll be smart to oblige for now....
    Oh, SNAP !
    Yep, look's like heavy, lower, rearward loading of the headtube.
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think he was just making a joke was a kinda h*mo phrase if taken outta context...nothing against u seriously I think it was just a joke that didnt land well....IMO

And hey dont knock all kids today lol some of us early 20 somethings act right lol.

Trying a little
    what an awesome thread

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    What a weird turn for this thread

What made you insult him in the first place? I thought he made a pretty straightforward comment about the broken frame
    Last edited by shiggy; 02-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Alright, knock it off kids.

Puttin' a fork in this one...it's done.

-gregg, Site Manager