• Trail DS

1 16.67%
  • Other...

3 50.00%

Thread: Dillema?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Dillema?

New to the forums here, and I have a question. I am trying to decide between two bikes.

The Fantom Comp Hardtail
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_comp08.htm

and the Fantom Trail DS
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...trail_ds08.htm

Here's my question. I am not a small guy at 6'00" and about 245 or so. I can't decide between the two, but my question is, should I get the Comp because the components are that much better? Or should I get the DS so that I have a more capable Full suss bike that I can upgrade as my fat arse breaks parts?

They are both exactly within my budget, so there is no movement there.

Help please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm still new to suspension forks, but I'd be cautious about a Dart fork for your size. You can't do much about it if the springs allow too much travel (there are different springs, but I didn't find any that could handle ~250). With an air fork, you can adjust the pressure to fit your weight.

I choose a Fantom 29 Pro over the Fantom 29 for the same reasons, and I think it was the right decision.
    Last edited by fireflock; 08-25-2008 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too.

Former Bike Wrench
    Other

Some things to consider:
    -The heaviest springs Rock Shox make are good to about 220lbs (this should include your weight plus any pack you carry on your back).
    -If you go full suspension, you may need a rear spring (on the Trail DS)...I've never heard of a KS Axis shock...it might be tough to find a replacement spring
    -The RS Dart uses small 28mm upper legs, the Tora uses 32mm upper legs...the Tora is significantly stiffer which is good for your size.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd give the nod to the Comp Trail but I'm not sure the fork will work great for you. You'll need to budget $50 for a new spring (stock is for 140-160lbs riders) and even then your a bit above even the stiffest option. If your open for suggestions, I would recommend either the Moto Fantom 29 Pro or the Windsor Cliff 29er Pro. I just switched from a 5" full suspension 26er to a hardtail 29er and love the way the 29ers ride. Plus they both come with a Tora 318 Solo Air which will work better for your weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How are the frames on the Windsor bikes? Are they heavier or about the same as the Moto's?

Former Bike Wrench
    The Windsor 29ers are relabeled Fuji Tahoe 29ers, so there is lots of additional information at the Fuji website. In fact if you click the sizing chart for the Windsor Cliff 29ers...it sends you to the Fuji site. I don't know if that is the same for the 26ers.

The Cliff 29er Pro comes in at about 30lbs stock in the medium size (19"). My large weighs 29lbs 14oz with some of the stock control parts (seat, post, stem, bars) swapped out for lighter stuff.

The Windsor and the Moto 29ers each have better parts in one place and worse parts in others when compared to each other. I ended up picking the Windsor because I prefer SRAM over Shimano.

Also when comparing sizes there is a bit of a discrepancy. The Windsor comes in Small (17"), Medium (19"), and Large (21") but their top tube lengths and standover compare more closely with the Moto's 15", 17", and 19" sizes respectively.

I purchased a Large Windsor 29er but I would have purchased the 19" Moto if that was my choice.

mtbr member
    I doubt you'd have a problem with the rear spring on the Trail DS. It's a 700lb spring - most folks complain that it's too stiff, but for me (265lbs) it works pretty well. It's still new to me, though, so I'm no expert. It is not difficult to replace the spring, anyway. Replacements can be had for less than $20, I've heard.
    The forks are soft, I think, but I have not attempted to adjust them yet.
    - Dan

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the Fantom Comp DS and I am 290lbs and I'm not easy on it (if I am going to break it might as well get it out of the way) and the bike is handling my weight like a champ
    '08 Motobecane Fantom Comp DS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good to know I"m not the only heavyweight out there mtbikin' it up!

newbie w/ a deathwish
    Aug 2008
    Beeing another fatty myself (or heavier rider if that really bugs you that much). Its good to see other big fellas like myself out there riding and loving it. NTM i'm in the market myself for a new bike. *prolly a motobecane

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Fat Pride!!!