Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Braugh Bro.

Destroyed my Moto...

So here's a pretty amazing story, I was practicing my bunny hops on my Motobecane Outcast 29. And upon landing one of them, my top and down tubes snap, my face goes barely between the snapped tubes (I have the slash marks on the side of my head from the freshly broken aluminum to prove it) and my forehead bounces on my front tire (note the tread mark on my forhead). Now, my jaw is in pain, got some small gashes on my head, and scrapes all over the place... But my beloved Moto is dead. Had it for over a year. Hucked it plenty, but never anything over 5ft. It's a pity that what did her in was a flatland bunny hop. Hopefully Moto's warranty will work out for me and I'll get a replacement. But we'll see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ouch! Those are some fairly clean breaks too.

Glad you're doing good and you have a great attitude about it.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Nice tire imprint. lol
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

You know my steez...
    Wow! Well it's better that it happened while you were just practicing bunny hops than hucking a 5 ft. drop!

Not that it matters now, but where is the chain? Did it fly off when it snapped?
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Braugh Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV View Post
    Wow! Well it's better that it happened while you were just practicing bunny hops than hucking a 5 ft. drop!

Not that it matters now, but where is the chain? Did it fly off when it snapped?
    I took it off for some reason. The fresh blow to my head was making me not think to clearly.

mtbr member
    Yikes, I guess I should stick to cross county on my Outcast... no more shenanigans for me.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Braugh Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    Yikes, I guess I should stick to cross county on my Outcast... no more shenanigans for me.
    Yeah a bit of a bummer eh? I'm afraid to build up the warranty replacement. (they did agree to replace it, just have to send in my old one for inspection. So far, the BD warranty seems to be coming through for me)

mtbr member
    5ft jumps?

You're riding the wrong bike.

Braugh Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    5ft jumps?

That's evident. lol.

mtbr member
    Not a fan of green, but the theme looks good on that bike btw

Low Rep Count
    Well that sucks! Now I'm starting to get a little concerned. First someone snaps a NIner fork while, "JRA". A fork I might add that has been touted as one of the best/strongest out there (I believe mine inferior to the Niner btw) and now a snapped frame. I almost feel nervous now. Hell, I was thinking about getting my frame coated in flat black but now I am thinking I might now want to put any more money into it. Hmm, my confidence is fading rather quickly this week.

To make things worse I was thinking about pulling my seat/post out of the bike and having my daughter shoot a couple pictures of me trying to see how high I could bunny hop in the front yard. I think I will hold off on that for the time being.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah that really bites. I was thinking of getting a Moto 600HT frame to replace a Trek frame I have currently built up. Now I'm nervous.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motoroil View Post
    Yeah that really bites. I was thinking of getting a Moto 600HT frame to replace a Trek frame I have currently built up. Now I'm nervous.....
    Let's be reasonable here, that can happen to any bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Really? When just bunny hopping? I guess you're right, maybe there were cracks all along from some big jumps or something that were slowing spreading and the bunny hops were the straw on the camel's back?

Buggyr333, are you a clydesdale? Maybe that could explain it too.

Braugh Bro.
    Not a clydesdale. I weigh about 175. I don't think there were cracks developing before that day, but I can't say for sure. Not saying I didn't abuse it beforehand. But yes, all I was doing at the moment of the breaking was bunnyhopping. No backflips or 12ft drops or what have you. Flatland bunny hops.

Low Rep Count
    Well, I hope I don't experience this. I have actually never broken a frame and this includes all my past bmx frames. I know I used to be able to snap close to 3' bunny hops on my bmx bikes and about 2' on my 26" mtb (with the seat removed) but haven't really tried to see how high I can go on my 29er. At this point, I think I will leave well enough alone. I don't normally try to flat out bunny hop over much of anything bigger than a 10" log on the trail at this point. If it is bigger than that, then I normally just hop the front wheel over and then lift the rear so that it either lands on it or I just get off and walk. Fortunately, I can pretty much clear all the logs that are on the loops that I ride so I feel safe with my Moto for now.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    5ft jumps?

Not anymore

OP: thanks for sharing your story.

Magura

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I read the aluminum has limited fatigue life, and the stress put on the material has compounding effect.
    Below is a good example of how the pedal arm failed over a long period of time and stress.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pedalarm_Bruch.jpg

I now own two motobecane's and I'm stocked that I got it for such good price compared to LBS.
    Hope the incident doesn't steer you away from the brand or BD.

Let us know how the warranty thing goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trying to decide between Moto and other brands is driving me crazy.

It ...seems.... that Sette, especially the reken, has, in general, more positive reviews with less problems than Moto.

But, that could just be the case because people are skeptical of Moto.

Argh. I suppose the only way to know is just to buy one and see.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshinsa View Post
    I read the aluminum has limited fatigue life, and the stress put on the material has compounding effect.
    Below is a good example of how the pedal arm failed over a long period of time and stress.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pedalarm_Bruch.jpg

Yup - this reason alone was why i sprung for the ti version. Although lately i've read even with ti, it's the weld joints that are likely to fail which makes this scenario just as possible for me as well. What can you do. Wear a full face helmet at all times i guess, lol.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr lurker
    makes me wonder about my '08 outcast 29...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    I don't think there were cracks developing before that day, but I can't say for sure.
    I inspect my frames pretty regularly at all the major welds, especially where the downtube meets the headtube. I suggest you do the same in the future.

I have spotted two cracks in two different frames (not Motobecane), and got them warrantied before the frame actually failed. One of the cracks I detected was where the downtube met the headtube. If I continued to ride the frame, it would have likely failed the same way your bike did.

Also, this failure demonstrates why some frame builders are not fans of gussets. They sometimes just move the point of failure further down the downtube. I personally prefer a hydroforming approach. This failure also demonstrates why the industry is moving towards tapered headtubes. They allow for larger diameter tubes, and more welding area.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by motoroil View Post
    Trying to decide between Moto and other brands is driving me crazy.

It ...seems.... that Sette, especially the reken, has, in general, more positive reviews with less problems than Moto.

But, that could just be the case because people are skeptical of Moto.

Argh. I suppose the only way to know is just to buy one and see.
    The only people skeptical of Motobecanes are brand name junkies and the people that pretend Kinesis doesn't build bikes for all the other big brands names charging hundreds if not thousands more for bikes with lesser components.

I tried 15 different ways to build my bike cheaper than BD did and couldn't come close. Then when shopping at my LBS I saw bikes with MSRPs 1,000+ bux more than mine with inferior components.

So thats what it came down to for me. Buy a bike with a frame built by a company that builds for everyone else (some say GT, Trek, Specialized etc), for far cheaper than I can do it myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow, does this ever happen to "name brand" bikes like Trek (175 lb guy, under normal usage)? This post certainly gives me pause for concern before ordering from BD. Somebody could really get hurt like this.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JDfromBR View Post
    Wow, does this ever happen to "name brand" bikes like Trek (175 lb guy, under normal usage)?
    Yes, it does. Frames do break, especially light aluminum ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast