Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Dawes haymaker 1500

Well I ordered a 21" haymaker 1500 that should be here tomorrow. are there any specific things to watch out for while putting It together and on the first few rides? Fairly new to biking so unsure of alot.

DynoDon
    Congats 99
    Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintenance is a book you should have, Amazon has is for less then $20.00. Barnes and Nobel may have it in a store by you.
    The first thing to do is check the box for holes and crush marks, then sign for it, if you see damage, open the box and note the damage on the UPS bill before you sign, or send it back. Both of my bikes were in great shape when delivered.
    Assembly is fairly easy, if you have any problems refer to Zinn, or go to Youtube, or Park tool, if all else fails take it to a LBS, or you could take it to a LBS and let them assemble it. Happy Trails
    Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not too worried about the asembly part as I'm very mechanically inclined. Just wanted to know mainly about greasing the pedals, tightning of the headset and any problems with the truvativ x_flow crankset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Picked up the Zinn & The Art Book last night. That thing is amazing.

DynoDon
    Quote Originally Posted by 99xjlove
    Picked up the Zinn & The Art Book last night. That thing is amazing.
    Great, did you get the bike?? how was the assembly?? where are the pics, and ride report?? Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My buddy just got one Christmas and I helped him get it lined out. I guess the front wheel took a lick in shipping and had to be trued. About everything had to be adjusted too. It is a great bike, especially for the money, you will enjoy it. IMO, the pedals that these bikes come with are so you can ride it arround the block when you get it......you will want to replace them before your first serious ride....... The WTB V'raptor tires are awsome. I am going to get a set for my old Rockhopper.

.....To answer to your question check everything as it is what I would consider to be kinda put togather. Better to be safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, sorry guys. Got it put together, that Thursday night! Took about 45 min to do and look everything over. Put about 30 miles on it that weekend and 15 the next. Weather has been great during the week but crap on the weekend last weekend and supposedly this weekend too.

Bike rides great. Needed a couple little adjustments, nothing big though. Put on a new set of bars and a shorter stem, going for a higher rise bar from diety next. And some new platforms. Overall I'm happy with the purchase so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ok here are the pics. Ordering some deity 2014 bars and wellgo mg-1 pedals this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The other day I test rode a 17" Fuji Nevada 2.0, which I really liked the feel of. Earlier today, I compared the geometry of the Fuji to the Dawes, and they are VERY similar! In about a month I should have enough money to buy a low end mountain bike. I really wanted to get a Motobecane, but I think I might have to go with a Dawes instead of a Moto, just because I was able to get pretty close to the geometry for a test ride. Check out the links to compare:

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/nevada_2_0

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Very close. Fuji is a little more slack but that's probably due to the 100mm fork vs the 80mm dart 2. Wheelbase is identical. Who makes the Fuji frame?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    looks just like mine, i've got a pump mounted in the same spot. I added cages/water bottles, a chainstay protector and de-reflectored, and just orderd some crank bro's pedals and shoes off of pricepoint.com.

pumped for riding season to be right around the corner

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    New pics from a few minutes ago. Sorry they are from my phone.

This morning!

And now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry for bumping the 3 week old thread.

But now that you have rode this around, And Had some time on it. What do you think about it for the price you paid ect..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you get the bike from bikes direct? I'm assuming you did since i have never seen them anywhere else. Any way, I am looking at buying the exact same bike and was hoping for some first hand experience input on how the transaction went, how long it took to ship and the quality of the bike. it seems like there is no place else out there where you can get as high quality parts on a bike for under $500. How much did you pay for it? I'm rambling...Thx in advance

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex774r View Post
    Did you get the bike from bikes direct? I'm assuming you did since i have never seen them anywhere else. Any way, I am looking at buying the exact same bike and was hoping for some first hand experience input on how the transaction went, how long it took to ship and the quality of the bike. it seems like there is no place else out there where you can get as high quality parts on a bike for under $500. How much did you pay for it? I'm rambling...Thx in advance
    Bikes direct is the only place you can buy that “name brand”. The Motobecanes are made in Taiwan and the Dawes are made in China(according to the sticker that is on them when they arrive). All of the better Aluminum frames are made in Taiwan as they have some aluminum butting technology that is superior. I think the Motobecanes are made by the same manufacturer that Fuji is made by…..don’t quote me on that. You can do your research and see what you come up with.
    Bikes direct is the whip. I have 7 friends and family that have purchased from them based off my recommendation. All transactions have been exemplary of how an online company should function. They ship quickly, communicate well, handle any problems with expedition……You should have no concerns about doing business with them. Everyone I know that has ordered a bike form them, has arrived in a few..4..or 5ish days….
    Here is the kicker….their service after the sale is second to none. The nature of the sport is that things break. Any defect is going to show because you are flogging a light weight machine in about the worst conditions for any mechanical device. If and when there is a problem you will email Matt.(he is their service guy) He will respond within 24 hours for more information or a solution. Of all my referrals to bikes direct, there have been 3 issues. They have taken care of my friends and family immediately. Even if they weren’t as big of a bargain as they are, I would still do business with them because they take care of their customers….we all know how rare this is these days, especially at the level they do it.
    As far as the Dawes 1500, one of my riding buddies has that exact bike. He got it around Christmas time. We ride a couple of times a week. The bike is solid and you will not find anything equipped as that one is for that price point. The bike its self is a tank….It is built stout. Do not expect to receive a XC racer as it is built stout and a little heavy due to the component level. You will have to do some minor assembly and minor adjustments when you get it.
    They don’t go on sale until they are discontinuing that mode. So they cost what they cost. If that bike is in the component level that you are looking at, pull the trigger.
    As you can tell, I am a big bikesdirect.com fan. There will be naysayers and trolls on all forums but I say for what you pay, what you get, and service after the sale; they can’t be beat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am in the market for a new bike and i am on a budget so when i found BD i was happy to see i could get some better then bottom of the barrel components on a bike in my price range. I am also considering a 2011 Windsor Cliff 4900 and a 2011 Motobecane 700HT along with the Dawes Haymaker 1500. The motobecane is about $120 extra so my question is witch of these bikes has the best bang for the buck and is the motobecane worth the extra money?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have never laid eyes on the Winsor but the Moto frame is better than the Dawes. The Motobecane is made in Taiwan where the Dawes (according to the sticker on the frame) is made is China. The Moto also appears to have a higher trim of name brand components. My wallet says the Motobecane is the better buy because it is just a better bike all around. I can’t really answer your “better buy” question as I don’t know your financial position but if you have the cash to spare…..buy once. Both are terrific entry level bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My son rides a 2010 Windsor Cliff 4900, which actually has a better component spec than the 2011 model. The Windsor frame seems fine, kinda weird looking to me in person because it has "squished" tubes, they are oval so they are about 2" high but only about 1" wide. The 2011 Cliff 4900 and Haymaker 1500 are nearly identical other than the frame, wo if its between those two then probably just pick the one you like the looks of better.

Frankly, the Motobecane doesn't look too much better speced to me, but probably worth the extra cost if you can afford it. Motobecanes are mede my Kinesis, which makes bikes for many "name brand" bike companies, including but not limited to Diamondback.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have only ordered once from bikesdirect,but had no problems. Got a windsor bristol road bike (sorry for bringing that up here), and am now looking back to them for my first mountain bike purchase. Anybody know anything about the GT Aggressor 1.0?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    how much does your dawes haymaker 1500 weigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Still have the bike?

I'm thinking of buying the same Dawes and was wondering what you (or anyone else who has had one a while) thought about the bike now that you've had it a while.

Also, I see that you got the 21 inch frame, and I'm curious about how the size has worked out for you. I'm 6 foot with a 33 inch inseam, and not sure which frame to get, the 19 or the 21. The BD site says the 19 is for 5'9''-6', while the 21 is for 6'-6'4". I cant' decide.

It's the only question I have left about the bike. And since it's mail order, the question is important to me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How do you like this bike. I just had it recommended to me as my first bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer 64 View Post
    How do you like this bike. I just had it recommended to me as my first bike.
    The OP didn't respond to the last post, so he may not know there have been replies to this thread. I haven't owned a Dawes Haymaker. However, I have purchased two Bikes Direct bikes and may purchase a third in the not too distant future. A lot of people think that the Dawes Haymaker 1500 has the best specs of any mountain bike on the market for less than $500, and I have to agree. In fact, it will be extremely rare to match the specs of the Haymaker 1500 on any bike selling for less than $600, and in many cases $700. So I'd say go for it, as long as you are ok with doing adjustments of the brakes and derailleurs yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just got a Haymaker 1500 this week. My initial impression when I unboxed it was very high. Good quality frame and all the components are as excpected, very high quality for this price point. I would have expected to pay twice as much for a Trek or Specialized of similar quality. The bike did require a fair amount of tuning to get it trail ready, this was expected.

Took it for a first ride this weekend, and after 20 miles of off-road I have some positives and some negatives. First the positives... The bike handles really well. It does not feel as substantial as it is. The tires grab well, and clear mud/dirt easily. Shifting is positive and smooth. The Dart 2 works well, not as active as some others I ridden but, it doesn't stand out as something lacking.

The negatives... I don't care for the riser bar, it puts you too far above the bike and make it difficult to keep the proper weight transfer on steep inclines. The seat post is too short. I am too short for the 19" so I went for the 17"... with the short seat post I couldn't set up the bike for proper leg extension. Probably the first thing to get replaced anyway as it is of pretty poor quality. The Tektro Disk brakes... well they stopped good and were plenty strong when needed, but they squeaked horribly under hard braking on fast decline sections. I'm probably going to try an address this the same way I would on a car disc brake system... a little RTV silicone on the back side of the pads.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the bike. The only upgrades I'll be making will be a flat bar, seatpost, and probably a race saddle. My last bike, a full XT Kona Kula left me with high standards. The Haymaker, while not on par with the Kula, is a quality ride that I will keep in my stable for many years... definitely recommend it.

FYI if you are buying from BikesDirect, check our BikeIsland first... it's they're scratch and dent website. I got my Haymaker for $50 less than BD with a scuffed crankset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keylin1994 View Post
    The Tektro Disk brakes... well they stopped good and were plenty strong when needed, but they squeaked horribly under hard braking on fast decline sections. I'm probably going to try an address this the same way I would on a car disc brake system... a little RTV silicone on the back side of the pads.
    Don't grease the brakes! I did that with the Tektros on my Windsor and the result was disastrous! I'm not a bike mechaninc and perhaps put too much grease on my brakes when I did that, but I'd recommend, at the very least, run that idea by the Brake Time section of the forum first:

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast