mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Convert 3x10 to 2x10?

I am looking at the Fantom ProSL 2x10, but was wondering if I wanted to save some $$$ and get the 3x10 now and change to 2x10 later, how hard is it? What would an LBS typically charge to do it for me?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Many people just remove the largest front sprocket and replace it with a bashguard the same size as the middle sprocket. Then set the limit screws on the front derailleur and your done. Thats the cheap way out as long as you are ok with the gearing. I did that and it works great.

Here's a great place to buy a guard also.
    Products

mtbr member
    i did that same as above

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ok thanks much for the information! That doesn't sound too difficult at all

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's fairly easy to do except sometimes removing the chainring nuts is a pain. I bought the Park tool but if you search there are other options.
    Park Tool Co. CNW-2 : Chainring Nut Wrench : Crank Tools

Also, check out the park tool blog for any other adjustment info. It's a great site.
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

mtbr member
    just go to your lbs.. buy a 32-34 bash gaurd off him.. have him install it and remove the big ring.
    i like to use terms like.. so this bashgaurd.. i buy it.. "you gonna throw it on for me"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    +1 on the BBG bash. I have a Fantom Elite 29er and took the big ring off and threw the BBG bash on. Left me with a 2x10 24/32 and has been great so far. The only thing I'd recommend is buying a bash that is one size larger than what it is rated for. On BBG's site they say that if you buy a 32t bash for a 32t ring it only has 1/8" clearance to protect the gear. I bought a 34t bash for my 32t ring and it just gives me a little more clearance and sanity.

I'm sure you've done you're thing by now but that's my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    cave12man,

Thanks! And to all who replied as well. I will definitely get the BBG in a size larger as that makes perfect sense.

I'm still waiting for BD stock to get filled, but trying to get all of my ducks in a row beforehand on Bash, Bars, Seat, tools etc..

I talked my brother into riding with me and his BD bike arrived today.(he got the Sram5 Elite).