MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008

considering adding bar-ends on my 700DS

What kind should i get. bar ends are one thing i'm not so familiar with.

I've been looking at ebay (cheap ), and i see two styles i like:
    1.) Relatively "straight" carbon bar-ends
    2.) Curved aluminum bar ends

I'm buying bar-ends for the purpose of helping me power through climbs and other situations where more control and momentum is needed, and i've been thinking the curved bar ends would suit me better because..... they're curved.... which, in my mind, provides better grip and more leverage than the straight ones.

but the straight ones (what i mean by straight is jsut vertically up) are CARBON....oooooo.... carbon.... fancy fancy

anyways, it's between functionality and "cosmetics". But i may be wrong with the curved bar ends...

need help
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

Bushwacker
    I don't like them because they take up grip room and I'm always afraid I'd impale myself if I had to "walk over" the handle bars if I got caught on a rock.

If you gotta have 'em tho, I say the curved ones. Maybe you can paint them to match the grips.....
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would go with the straight carbon bar ends if i were you. They look nicer and i think they are easier to handle and use then the curved ones.... but thats just my opinion
    - Specialized S-Works
    - Motobecane Fantom Elite HT
    - Motobecane Fly Team

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Before you get bar ends maybe change out your bars first cause the stock bar is 24", by adding bar ends you get 22" total inches in length and that's just way toooooo short. If I just had to choose I would go with the curved because it gives you another angle to lean on when going DH

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    Hmmmmm, the bar's length seems fine for me.
    Me:
    Honors Chemical Engineering undergraduate student at the University of Washington
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

Space for rent...
    I run stubby, straight, aluminum bars and love them. I find that mounting them 5 to 10 degrees "up" from horizontal is the best position. I find they offer an alternate hand position on long straight flats, but really shine when I need to climb. Standing up, they really help with leverage, and allow you to get your whole body working.

Vertical bar ends? Only if you want to look like a dork

Adding bar ends does not take away from the size of your grip...you just slide the grips closer to the stem.

A word of caution. If you ride tight sections with trees/bushes close to the trail, it is easy for them to hook branches etc. if you are not paying attention.
    It's only pain......

John has a long moustache
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    A word of caution. If you ride tight sections with trees/bushes close to the trail, it is easy for them to hook branches etc. if you are not paying attention.
    +1 on that statement.

Bar ends were all the rave in the late 90's. Every MTB had them, now I never see them except on Walmart bikes and older Hard Tails. I had them on my old Rockhopper... that is until I hooked a vine with one and it ripped the bars out of my hands, took the vine across my face, ripped my helmet and sun glasses off and sent me flying off the seat. I removed them from my bike on the trail and left them in the garbage bin at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    Lol I did this just this morning and I don't even have bar ends. Ended up doing a face plant after I hit a tree going down a tight drop. Luckily, I walked away with just a mouthful of dirt.

I am still looking for bar ends for my 700DS for commuting - something that'll give me easy access to the brakes. I think I'll take em off when riding on trails though.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    oh wow, i never realized the big safety issue they come with. Alright, maybe i shouldn't add barends. Now that you say that, i remember when i was a little kid, i had a "walmart" magna bike that had barends, and all i remember is that i was biking around the neighborhood and the barends somehow got stuck on a lowhanging tree/bush, and i flew off my bike.

Ok, thanks for reminding me barends are often dangerous on trails.

Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You got me thinking about getting bar ends and I guess I ended up really liking TiTEC Pluto Carbon Ends. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/150...n-Bar-Ends.htm

I really like these and I did take into consideration what Dr. mediocre said. I'll think more about it. But I may just get them.

MTBR Asian Dude
    May 2008
    @agentdice: If you do end up getting those barends, post back how helpful they are and how seemingly "dangerous" they are. Also please post pictures of your 700DS with barends.\\

thanks
    Me:
    Bike:
    2008 Motobecane 700DS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had bar ends on my old FS Elite and had no problems whatsoever. They were some off the wall brand and they were the curved ones. I did like them BUT I'm still undecided. I have read the reviews here in the reviews section and nothing but positive comments on the Titecs. If I do get them then I'll post a pic.

John has a long moustache
    This weekend was very hot and humid. It was 98f and 86% humidity when we rode Saturday afternoon. My hands were slipping off of the handlebars quite a bit. I could definately understand the need for some sort of ends that would block my hands if they slip. I saw some small carbon barends that were basically 1-2" long that might help with that.