mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Comp DS Wheelset

Ok, I did a lot of searching before posting this because I didn't want to be the guy that asks the question that was answered 6 minutes ago in the thread below but the more searching the more I got lost. I'm turning to you guys for some real world advice.

I have a new 2008 Comp DS on the way, couldn't be happier with the setup except just a bit too heavy. I've been reading and the number one thing recommended to make the bike lighter but most importantly "feel lighter" is to lighten the rotational weight. (Wheelset/tires)

Does any one know what the stock wheelset on the 08 Comp DS weighs?

What is a good wheelset upgrade for this bike, mainly for heavy trail riding? BTW I weigh 180lbs.

Any other recommendations for weight loss?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    In my searching I also found this website, really interesting but seems a little out dated.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ls&sortby=real

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cricket......Cricket...........

Please, please lets try to be civil gentlemen, please don't all answer at once.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have these on my HT right now and am switching them over to my Elite DS when I get it...

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=719

I really like them and at 1790 grams they're light for the price,When I researched wheelsets I found that if you want anything significantly lighter you'd have to spend a lot more.Pair them up with some Panaracer FireXC Pro tires with the folding bead and you're in business.

Gringo
    CRed: Is your HT using disc brakes??? I've always been afraid of a 2x with so few spokes, but no real experience. [I've read that the spokes are stressed much more with disc and to use 32 3x]

Great find for the community by the way, good looking wheelset.

G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo
    CRed: Is your HT using disc brakes??? I've always been afraid of a 2x with so few spokes, but no real experience. [I've read that the spokes are stressed much more with disc and to use 32 3x]

Great find for the community by the way, good looking wheelset.

G.
    Thanks and it is a pretty nice looking wheelset.

They are built for XC so I wouldn't use them for DH/FR or anything like that,but they should be able to handle some AM.I have disks on the front right now because the rear wasn't disk ready on my frame,but I don't see how having disks will make that much difference.I'm sure it does put more pressure on the hub maybe,but I don't think you should have to worry about the spokes.

Anyways,as mentioned if you want anything lighter you're looking at a $400-$500 wheelset and even then it won't be much or they may even be heavier so they're an excellent deal!

Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Change the tires and tubes first. My 07 model Elite DS had really heavy tires and tubes. I put IRC Mythos XC on mine with cheap lightweight tubes and saved about 2 pounds. Also if they still come with the Ritchey Severe Conditon bars change those, mine were 440g. The seat is also heavy and to soft. I would actually not change any thing until you ride it for a while then the tires and tubes first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What type of riding do you plan on doing? The Vuelta XRP team wheels are great XC wheels that are relatively cheap ($280) and are light ~1600 grams. I liked these wheels so much on my Fly that I bought a pair for my Jamis. They seem pretty darn strong given the lightweight. But I wouldn't do any serious hucking on them.

The bike comes with Speedisc wheels which are probably around 2200 grams a pair.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    What type of riding do you plan on doing? The Vuelta XRP team wheels are great XC wheels that are relatively cheap ($280) and are light ~1600 grams. I liked these wheels so much on my Fly that I bought a pair for my Jamis. They seem pretty darn strong given the lightweight. But I wouldn't do any serious hucking on them.

The bike comes with Speedisc wheels which are probably around 2200 grams a pair.

Not bad,not bad at all!Yeah those speeddiscs are heavy sonofaguns aren't they?

Couple more suggestions to lower weight.Get a new saddle,like an WTB Race or some kind of Selle Italia.As far as seat posts go,try these out...

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...RIGID+SEATPOST

Very light and very nice looking.I have one combined with an San Marco Ti saddle and as a combo they're lighter then most stock saddles or seat posts on their own,385 grams total!

Another cheap upgrade is the stem,I have a Titec Pluto carbon that weights 125 grams.Not a ton lighter the others,but at around $70 another cheap way to save some weight.