Two Wheeled Terror

Commuter/road bike

Flame away.....my last f%*! flew out the window a while ago. I sold off my canfield brothers balance since I was leaving socal for michigan and now I'm in need of a commuter. I still have an xc intense from 01 or 02 so I have a mountain bike but commuting for school and fitness is a need now. Full suspension attracts attention and I figure motobecane wouldn't be a bad bike to use for this.

If you made it through that I am looking specifically at the omnistrada. Looks like a solid bike and I am not looking for perfection. I'm just looking for a solid bike to keep the pounds off, put the miles on, and not get stolen. The bike has pretty nice components, costs about a grand, and looks nice! Although that will change before I get done with it.

There is a lot of hate or love for BD....no pun intended. I don't have a lot extra but I'm handy with a wrench (I fabricate and maintain 4x4 trucks and other stuff like that)

I just would like to hear opinions. I rarely have ridden a road bike so this seems to be a cross between the two. I just want some speed on pavement and to stop bobbing while I pedal.....until I'm using suspension off road that is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If theft is your concern, I'd look at the lower level "sport" one. very similar with lower quality drivetrain and part branding. it'll still handle well, just less of a target. My biggest concern is the tire selection for the frame. the description says the frame can handle a 45mm tire and comes with a 40mm tire. that's not much tire clearance. An alternative that's almost identical but with 25mm tires is the turino.

I used to have one of the BD hybrid motobecane adventure elite bikes. I swapped out the fork to a rigid and put on a lot of miles. Added barends for hand positions and comfort during long rides. Looked like a cheap bike because of the antiquated bar ends (and a couple crashes didn't hurt), but handled great. It got good speed on road, not as good as a road bike, but I had 2" tires on it. And plenty of room for a decent tire.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If theft is your concern, I'd look at the lower level "sport" one. very similar with lower quality drivetrain and part branding. it'll still handle well, just less of a target. My biggest concern is the tire selection for the frame. the description says the frame can handle a 45mm tire and comes with a 40mm tire. that's not much tire clearance. An alternative that's almost identical but with 25mm tires is the turino.

I used to have one of the BD hybrid motobecane adventure elite bikes. I swapped out the fork to a rigid and put on a lot of miles. Added barends for hand positions and comfort during long rides. Looked like a cheap bike because of the antiquated bar ends (and a couple crashes didn't hurt), but handled great. It got good speed on road, not as good as a road bike, but I had 2" tires on it. And plenty of room for a decent tire.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Theft really isn't an issue at the school I go to but if you make yourself an easy target you are still an easy target. I would run the bike as is for now and then move into changing some stuff as I go along....if I need to. My biggest complaint is the frame itself. I would really love a chromoly version of this bike but I can't really find much in this style made of chromoly for under 2k.

Two Wheeled Terror
    I also found a bike company called traitor. They make chromoly frames and while the frame will only take a 35 for tires that seems like it could be reasonable in the snow. Also the price is nice at about a grand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    My biggest complaint is the frame itself. I would really love a chromoly version of this bike but I can't really find much in this style made of chromoly for under 2k.

check out surly bikes. They have a couple road/touring bikes with drop bars, disc brakes, and chromoly frames. The steel frame with room for 40mm+ tires is the kicker. BD might have something, but I don't know what. Could go with a steel mountain or hybrid frame and use road bike parts to build it up. Not sure about geometry you'd end up with though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Two Wheeled Terror
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    check out surly bikes. They have a couple road/touring bikes with drop bars, disc brakes, and chromoly frames. The steel frame with room for 40mm+ tires is the kicker. BD might have something, but I don't know what. Could go with a steel mountain or hybrid frame and use road bike parts to build it up. Not sure about geometry you'd end up with though.
    I actually really like the straggler 650b. I'm not a fan boy of the 650b but I never liked sitting on top of a road bike either.
    That frame you can do 40mm tires and that will get me around no matter what! The price isn't bad for a full bike either. It might be a minute before I can get to one of the dealers here in Michigan but that gives me a chance to roll a few quarters together and save. Good lookin out!

Also found the all city bikes but while they have chromoly frames they can't fit 40mm and they have zero rack mounts. Having second and third options is a good thing but I think surly has this one in the bag.