Thread: Cliff 29.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cliff 29.1

I sold my Pro-Flex 957 to a buddy of mine a few weeks ago. Been riding one of my brothers spare bikes (Kona Hei Hei) in the meantime. I wanted to go 29er, but I'm getting married in 2 weeks, low on moneys, and after riding the Kona, fell back in love with Hard Tail bikes. So I finally got off my butt and ordered one of the Cliff 29.1 bikes up. It showed up today, and after a long week of work, got put together. I'll be going to do a more official ride of it tonight and then tomorrow morning. It is looking like it's gonna be a good bike though. I'll definitely be replacing brakes as soon as there is some extra money floating around. I like on\off brakes

PS.
    I'm 6'0" - 6'1" with a 32" inseam. The bike is a 19" and fits me like a dream. Bigger wheels feel...bigger, but I feel it's gonna be a good thing.

Andrew

S*it Happens!
    Looks awesome dude... Also congrats on your marriage!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nice! I just got mine on Wednesday and took it for the first long ride today. I love the bike, but the brakes blow. The brakes were my main reason of getting it over the Dawes too. I thought I just didn't have them set up properly as I've never had disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, I've found the brakes blow. I can't really complain though for what it cost. I've been used to V-Brakes with Kool Stop brake pads or Hydraulic rim & Disc brakes and these leave a bit to be desired. Friday night I put about 6 or 7 miles on the bike. The trails were tighter\more technical than what we usually ride, so for that it was a great deal of fun. I'm running the tires @ 40psi and didn't run into any grip issues. Uphills aren't too bad on it. Just stand up, mash, and go. There was a fun "downhill" section (a 2 track gravel run) that I was a little unnerved about with the bike being rigid. The bike handled everything smoothly for me. I think top speed was only around 30ish. With the stock gearing, I couldn't get any quicker. My legs moved as quick as they could, but there was no keeping up. The ride back up the run was just as much fun. I laughed silently inside as 4 others in our group walked the thing as I rode up it. I was huffing n puffin for sure, but it was a great feeling.

This morning, I did another 6 or so miles at Kettle Moraine (orange loop connecting to the green\blue). It's only the 2nd time I've done that loop this season and I gotta say it felt great. I was most definitely slower in the downhill sections, but overall much quicker. I'd definitely not mind if I had some sort of suspension fork for that loop though. The rigid isn't bad, and for the most part I can keep my hands essentially just touching the grips, but since I'm no pro, the added comfort suspension provides is well worth the weight penalty. The stock gearing on this loop was basically perfect.

Great bike so far though. I'm planning to find out how it performs as a commuter this coming Monday. Glad I've only got a 5 mile trip to work now

Andrew

S*it Happens!
    With all disc brakes there is always a break in period. The pads need to create small grooves into the rotor in order to create a friction zone.

There are conflicting opinions about proper disc break-in methods. Some say you need to "ride the brake" slighly down a long hill to build up heat. Others say you need to do several panic stops to bed them in.

I just ride normally and they eventually break in nicely after a few rides. Whats more important is to keep the rotors clean and aligned properly in order to avoid annoying squeels.

P.S. to OP. are you a CAMBr member? If not you should be...
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I got signed on there last year. I "break-in" pads the same way I do on my dirtbikes\motorcycles. I ride while dragging the brake and then spray down the caliper\pads\rotor with a hose. Helped the stock tektro brakes pretty well. In reality they're not that bad while actually being used on the trail. If I'm using them to actually just scrub a little bit of speed here and there, it's great. If I'm looking to hop around on the bike like my old trials bike.....yeah then they suck. haha. I guess I just prefer having uber brakes.

Unfortunately I didn't get to pedal to work today, but at least got to take another form of 2-wheeled transportation

Andrew

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewgore
    Yeah, I got signed on there last year. I "break-in" pads the same way I do on my dirtbikes\motorcycles. I ride while dragging the brake and then spray down the caliper\pads\rotor with a hose. Helped the stock tektro brakes pretty well. In reality they're not that bad while actually being used on the trail. If I'm using them to actually just scrub a little bit of speed here and there, it's great. If I'm looking to hop around on the bike like my old trials bike.....yeah then they suck. haha. I guess I just prefer having uber brakes.

Unfortunately I didn't get to pedal to work today, but at least got to take another form of 2-wheeled transportation

Andrew

Awesome dude! What other two wheel forms of transportation do you have?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was able to ride the bike this morning in to work. I've got no excuse for not riding since it's under 4 miles and relatively flat. Bike was plenty smooth, but it's got 1 problem on the road. The gearing is much too short. I coulda probably shaved at least 5 minutes off the 20 minute trip if I could go faster than what seemed insanely slow (maybe it's my imagination). Either way though, it was still refreshing.

As far as other 2 wheeled machines, I've got a BMW G650XCountry, KTM 300, GasGas 250 trials bike, and a 74 kawasaki 175. All of them far too much fun

Andrew

S*it Happens!
    Awesome....Here is my Moto,

It’s a 03 1200 Bandit that I customized myself. Here is a list of my mod’s

Polished the engine casings & wheel lips then replaced all the bolts too anodized gold. I installed an Ivan jet kit and modified the air box. Then I installed a full muzzy exhaust w/ a titanium can. I modified the suspension by adding a Hayabusa, rear shock & fabricated longer dog bones. I added a clear taillight leans w/ LED bulbs and new turn singles. I added the gold dirt bike bars and bar end mirrors. I painted the body work flat black & add a silver racing stripe. I panted the headers, mid pipe and muffler flat black in high temp paint and last I installed a smaller front drive sprocket.

However, she’s down as of now. I need to order an ignition coil too get her running again.

This is before the paint work, shock swap, bar change and other struff. Still you can see she has had much work done at this stage.

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!

In the image you can see the differences between the Hayabusa shock on the top and the stock bandit shock on the bottom. The busa's is far more adjustable & beefer. $65 bucks on ebay and some elbow grease. Does the trick!!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Did you figure anything out yet on the brakes? I've been in touch with BD and was told they still needed broken in. I cleaned the rotors with alcohol then rode around tonight for a half hour trying to get them to work with no success. I've also ridden about 30 miles since I got it, although on a mostly flat trail. I can't remotely even close lock up the brakes and skid.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmoyer99
    Did you figure anything out yet on the brakes? I've been in touch with BD and was told they still needed broken in. I cleaned the rotors with alcohol then rode around tonight for a half hour trying to get them to work with no success. I've also ridden about 30 miles since I got it, although on a mostly flat trail. I can't remotely even close lock up the brakes and skid.
    Have you ever had disc brakes before…If so, what brand?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    I reason I ask.

Maybe you need to readjust the brake pads so they closer to the rotor. That way, when you squeeze on the brake lever you can attain more force.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    No, I never had disc brakes. The rotors came slightly warped, but I straightened that out and have the pads as close as they can go without rubbing. The brakes feel great... nice solid feel, don't pull in too far, etc, but just don't have that "bite". I can pull the back brake as hard as I can and only slowly come to a stop (no the lever isn't hitting the handlebar).

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmoyer99
    No, I never had disc brakes. The rotors came slightly warped, but I straightened that out and have the pads as close as they can go without rubbing. The brakes feel great... nice solid feel, don't pull in too far, etc, but just don't have that "bite". I can pull the back brake as hard as I can and only slowly come to a stop (no the lever isn't hitting the handlebar).
    Well, I don’t think there is anything wrong with them… give it a bit more time. If it’s still not up to your liking… maybe a different pad choice is in order.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    JTMoyer99,
    Moto Rider is right. The brakes are functioning as they should. It's like anything else out there. There are some uber grippy brakes, and some that feel like you've got the grip of a teflon non-stick frying pan. The bike just happened to come with the latter. On the upside, I knew this going into it, and know that I can get exactly the setup I want in the future.

I did find out though why on my last ride, my left foot kept coming out of my pedal. Turns out I snapped one of the cages on the thing. On the upside, my brother got me a pair of CB Acid 1 Pedals as a wedding gift. The Orange\Black looks killer on the bike

Andrew

mtbr member
    My Moto doesn't have the Tektro, rather the BB5s. I didn't need to break them in to get good performance, they worked great right out of the box. I did go ahead and break them in during the next couple of rides anyway, but performance didn't seem to get much better.

Glancing at the pics doesn't look like the Tektros are much different. Makes me think jt's are contaminated. If they are adjusted right you should be able to stop with authority at normal trail/path speeds broken in or not.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Like I said, it's not that they don't work. If you're expecting "launch you over the bars" stopping power, these brakes aren't what you want. They do however work for 95% of my use (5% being me toying around on it like my trials bike).

Also, I dropped my gearing down from 32x18 to 32x16. What a difference. It's much better on the road. It is a bit more of a struggle doing climbs with the bike off-road, but overall is much better. The only issue I ran into with it was this. At the stock chain length, the 32x16 chain was too long. The axles were essentially half way out of the drop-outs. Now when I took 1 link out, it was too short. I ended up taking derailleur hanger\chain tensioner off and shaving down a part of it. Basically the 2 bosses it has sticking into the horizontal drop-out was too long on the front, not allowing the wheel to get that tiny bit further forward. I figure even when I go 1x9 it will still hold just fine with the threaded axle on the rear.

Andrew

mtbr member
    I'm just getting back into cycling and while SS sounds interesting don't know if I will ever try it.

Also I only used jtmoyer99's first two intitials so you might not have noticed I had directed my comment more at him since he seems to be having a bigger brake issue.

I can pull the back brake as hard as I can and only slowly come to a stop (no the lever isn't hitting the handlebar)
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6
    Glancing at the pics doesn't look like the Tektros are much different. Makes me think jt's are contaminated. If they are adjusted right you should be able to stop with authority at normal trail/path speeds broken in or not.
    So if my pads are contaminated, should i sand them or should the contamination eventually wear off? By contamination, I assume you me oil or grease? I'm new to disc brakes, but I'd imagine the rotors couldn't really be defective as they're only a thin stamped piece of sheet metal? Would new pads turn my crap brakes into better performing ones?

mtbr member
    Yeah, more than likely some kind of lubricant. Could have been on the pads or on the rotors which then transferred it to the pads. Since you've wiped the rotors down with alcohol they should be clean now so concentrate on the pads. IMO I would sand first. You can always try more things after that.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro