mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Clicking sound and Motobecane

I purchased a Motobecane FLY 9357 a little less then a year ago. It's obvious to me they have saved some over head and I don't have a problem with that. They did their part.

No fault of BikesDirect the front forks had an issue. Rockshox paid to have it removed, shipped and returned in 1 week fixed and ready to go. I didn't have to bring in paperwork or anything.

I've had a great time riding it, the bike is a pleasure. I think the only complaint I could muster is that the seat is a little flimsy.

BUUUUUTTTTT... Yesterday, while riding I started to hear a CLICKING I'm trying to figure out what it could be. I've re-adjusted the Derailleur checked out the pedals the works. At this point I think it might be a bearing. It happens in the same spot of the stroke every time but only in top gear. Possibly it's the extra pressure? ANY ideas?

Gringo
    I'm guessing this only happens when you have some weight on the cranks, i.e. it doesn't happen when it's on the bike stand?

Check for play in the crank arms, grabbing both sides and moving side to side, up and down, etc. Even if it does not feel loose at this point, it still may be.

This last happened to me with a square taper bottom bracket that was a little loose. It could also be that you have a bent or chipped tooth on the big ring that is catching the chain at the same place, or that your chain has stretched and the outer ring has not…

I’ll also say that I had a creaking saddle last year, and I swore it was coming from the crank area. It clicked at the same part of my stroke, but inconsistently. Still working on that one.

But when someone says ‘clicking’ and doesn’t think it’s a ‘rubbing’ sound, then the bb is often the culprit. It can be loose that you can’t feel it move when you push it by hand, but taking off the cranks and seeing if it is tight may immediately let you know that was the issue. Consult the instructions for your crank/bb to be sure you are uninstalling/installing correctly.

If that’s the case, I wrapped the threads with Teflon plumbers tape and re-installed, fixing the problem.

G.

Bushwacker
    Check your chain. I had a pin that was stretching out and my chain would "click" at olne spot in the rotation.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    Check your chain. I had a pin that was stretching out and my chain would "click" at olne spot in the rotation.
    If you've removed or replaced the chain recently, make sure the master link/master pin is articulating freely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hmmm

I don't think it's the chain because it is the same exact spot in the rotation every time. I also can't feel it when turning the crank by hand. BUT today I just turned it really slowly and I can feel a rumble right around the point that the clicking occurs. I'm guessing it's a safe bet that it's the bearings, right?

It's a relatively new FSA afterburner... I'm great working on cars but I know with the bearings there are special tools and it needs to be tightened just so. Is this something I should take to the shop and what type of replacement should I consider?

Gringo
    Just responded to your PM. I answered generically because I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you have a 9357. BB tool will cost you around 20 bucks. DIY is very easy: http://mtb.fullspeedahead.com/downlo...gaExoAlloy.pdf

Check the warranty, go ahead and buy a replacement, and send the old one to FSA and cross your fingers if it's less than a year since purchase.

G.