Thread: Carbon Windsor?

mtbr member

Carbon Windsor?

The latest issue of MBA tests a carbon fiber Windsor....I thought Mike wouldn't make any mountain bikes out of carbon fiber? It looks identical (at least in the photos) to Performance's Access Stealth carbon fiber bikes/frames. I don't see it on the BD website.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is the second thread, yet still no pictures

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

windsor carbon review

I don't know why there isn't more info on this bike except maybe ppl want to ride name brand bikes? I've been looking at these bikes for months and finally decided to buy knowing that if I don't like it I can swap the frame out since everyone that is familar with bikesdirect know that the value is really in the components. First off I'm 50y/o, 5'7", 135 lbs, xc rider. Been riding since the 80's, cat4 rider. This is my first 29er. Rode my friends trek superfly for comparison. I bought the 19" windsor sram xx build. The bike is tad tall for me on standover height, but on the bike, riding is no problem (17" was sold out). Okay first off looking at the bike it is beautiful, very light 22lbs. Sram xx is awesome! I'm riding the bike at Crafton college, there is long fire road climbs and steep single track decents and cimbs. The thing you will notice is thesteep head and seat angles, more of an aggressive climbing setup, and this is where the bike shines, climbs like a billygoat, smooth, stable, your legs are the limitting factor. The frame is stiff, get out of the saddle and instant response. Down hill riding takes alittle more skill, 29 wheels help soak up the small bumps, need to sit back on the bike to get some rear wheel traction, I don't like the kenda small blocks they are great for weight saving, but for aggresive downhill desents I'm going to change them out for maxxis ardent. With that being said I got a PR, on both climbs and decents with this bike. 5 chillis for value and 5 chilli for the bike.