mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Can't hardly wait...

Just got a call from BD today...

My new Fly Team 29 Ti will ship Monday! (2 weeks earlier than expected!)

WoooHooo!

Looking forward to my first 29er!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Me Too

My Fantom Ti already shipped. Supposed to be here Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Received it

Received my Fantom Pro TI 29er today as scheduled. It seemed to be packed well and everything arrived unscathed. All parts as spec'd. Frame looks great, but I don't have the expertise to tell the difference. I have houseguests, so unable to assemble it at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

It's put together

I finished putting together my new 21" Fantom Pro TI 29er last night. It looks great. I need to get some pedals though. I threw on my cage platform pedals from the only other mountain bike I own (and only other mountain bike I have owned) a 1993 Barracuda A2M, which is steel and full rigid, to get the bike set up and fit to me. It looks like I may need to get a shorter stem to optimize the fit to me. It came with a 130mm stem and I will probably get a 100mm or 70mm stem depending on how it feels on the trails. There are spacers on the headset above and below the stem, so I have the ability to raise or lower the bars as well to see how that affects the fit, which is nice.

I took it out on the street to try to properly break in the disc brakes to hopefully keep them from squealing like I have read is a big problem with a lot of disc brakes. I had the calipers aligned so that there was no rubbing when I set out to break the brakes in. However, when I was finished there was slight rubbing on both. So, I guess it will be a process of re-aligning after each use for awhile to get these dialed in. Having only used V-brakes and probably not very good ones, I love these disc brakes. I don't know how the Elixir 5's compare to higher end ones, but me likey.

I am planning on hitting some singletrack tonight to properly test it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pictures would be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    Pictures would be nice.
    I don't think I can post pictures yet, with me being a noob and all. On a side note, when I opened the box, I thought the 29" wheels looked monstrous and when assembled, the bike looked huge. But, I had my wife take a picture of me sitting on the bike so I could see my posture and the bike did not look big anymore, I am/look bigger than I realize. I must really look funny/oversized on a 26" bike. Being about 6'5" has some advantages, but not in biking. As with everything else in biking, it is just added weight, both on my body and the size of bike you have to have.

I took the bike out for a 5 mile singletrack trail ride this evening. Amazing. I don't know if it was the 29 inch wheels, front suspension, a lighter bike, or the bike fit me better than my other one, but is was just a really fun time. The front derailleur needs some adjustment, it worked fine on the street, but not quite dialed in for the rigors of the trail. I'll have to get used to the 29 wheels also. Took a few wrong lines that threw me wide and off the trail. Have a chainring tattoo from one such episode. I'll have to work on proper lines for big wheels and long wheelbase. As such, this bike likes to stay on the ground. It is as if it is on a rail steamrolling forward and anything that is in my way be damned I'm rolling over you. I like it, I'm too old to be jumping about and such anyway. Hitting another trail tomorrow morning, so I'll update after that and maybe I'll have enough posts to post pictures.

To the OP: sorry I hijacked your thread. I wasn't able to start my own at the time.