mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Can't decide between the Fantom Trail or the 700 HT

Could someone give me the pros and cons for the Fantom Trail and the 700 HT. New to riding and trying to decide which one to buy. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was looking at both bikes and decided the Fantom Trail Comp was the better buy because you receive Avid BB5 brakes which from most accounts are better then the Tektro's on the 700 HT and you also get a lockout on the shock, which can be very helpful on long climbs where you want to get the most out of the effort you put into the climb. These two reasons directed me to the Fantom Trail.

Former Bike Wrench
    I think the 700HT is a pretty good buy. The Avid BB5 brakes aren't near the performers of the BB7's and the Tektro brakes aren't that bad. Also, though I think lock-outs are over-rated...the pictures of the 700HT show a lock-out so you may want to check on that.

My big concern with the Fantom Trail is this: The Dart is not know as a laterally stiff fork at 100mm of travel. At 120mm, I would be a little concerned with a fork that only has 28mm diameter upper legs (32mm is pretty much the standard for forks over 80mm but under 130mm of travel). Also, the frame looks like its "choppered" out, I suspect based on the geometry chart that its a frame designed for a shorter travel fork that simply has a 120mm fork put on it. Sometimes this works OK, sometimes it creates some "interesting" handling traits

But they're both good buys so you can't really go wrong either way.