mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Can Someone Please Measure Diameter of Fantom 29er FS Top Tube?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a bike stand online that which says it fits all frames from 1" to 2.5". I'm guessing they are referring to the top tube. Can anyone please measure their Fantom 29er FS top tube so I can know if it'll fit?

Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a bike stand online that which says it fits all frames from 1" to 2.5". I'm guessing they are referring to the top tube. Can anyone please measure their Fantom 29er FS top tube so I can know if it'll fit?

Thanks so much!
    Usually you would clamp to the seat post, so as not to scratch or otherwise damage the frame.

edit:
    Looking at BD's webpage, your bike's seat post diameter should be 31.6_mm, ~1.29_inch.
    Shimano DynaSys, 3x10 Speed 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29er | Shimano DynaSys full suspension mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
    Usually you would clamp to the seat post, so as not to scratch or otherwise damage the frame.

edit:
    Looking at BD's webpage, your bike's seat post diameter should be 31.6_mm, ~1.29_inch.
    Shimano DynaSys, 3x10 Speed 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2011 Motobecane Fantom 29er | Shimano DynaSys full suspension mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

Thanks for the reply. Here's an illustration of the stand. I don't know if it's possible to hang it by the seat post? If it's not possible with this particular stand, maybe I can wrap my frame with microfiber towel prior to clamping it down?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Here's an illustration of the stand. I don't know if it's possible to hang it by the seat post? If it's not possible with this particular stand, maybe I can wrap my frame with microfiber towel prior to clamping it down?

Not sure from this view, but a good stand will have some provision to allow you to rotate the clamp, which allows you to rotate the bicycle when it is clamped in the stand. If this stand has such provision, then you would be able to rotate it to clamp to the seat post. If the stand has no such provision for rotation, I think it would be a lot less useful for cleaning and general maintenance on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here's my first stand I recently got. It does rotate, and you can clamp on top tube or seat post. It has good reviews and I like it aright.

Amazon.com: Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    I use the park stand and it states a clearance of 7/8 up to 3 inches, and it has plenty of clearance for either my fantom hard tail top tube (although it won't be ideal, because the brake and derailliur cables are routed down the top tube, and those can be damaged by a clamp).

Assuming the stand you're looking at has a roating clamp like JRT mentioned, you should have no problem clamping the top tube of the bike should you wish... but as previously stated, most of the time its more ideal to clamp the bike by the seat post while working on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes, clamping the top tube can interfere with my shifter cables. My clamp is foam covered so don't think it will damage. I seem to balance my bike easier clamping to the top tube. But hate when I forget and start adjusting my derailleurs then...duh.