mtbr member
    May 2012

Buying Off Bikedirect

Can't seem to get to get info on this topic on the begginer section so I came here, where I hear there is the most talk in regards to bikesdirect.com So basically I am in the market for a bike 1000$ I think is the most I'll spend.

In any case I am consdering the Gravity HTX9-R, all the parts on the bike are pretty decent, (better than anything you'd find in a store at that price range, especially the Reba Forks), but I am wondering how the frame would stand up to just trail riding, XC type stuff. I don't plan on doing Downhill anytime soon, I don't think this bike would hold up very well, or would it? Lol you tell me.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Alternatives? Much help would be appreciated this is my first bike purchase since I was 12. By the way from the riding I've done in stores I feel most comfortable on 19" 29er, and 21" 26er, I am about 6'1" so that's pretty standard

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The frames will be fine and will hold up as well as any other lbs bike, you can read the reviews on here. Of the bikes u rode, I would try to get one w similar Geo to the one u like.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Geo of the 26 inch is similar to the Trek Mamba I tried, which was a bike like, only it was a 29er and this is probably better equipped for the price.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that like a shop bike, it will need to be assembled correctly. This doesn't just mean putting the front wheel on etc., it means adjusting the brakes, derailleurs, etc. Factor in ~$60 for a shop assembly into the cost. If a shop gives you crap about it, find another shop.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Keep in mind that like a shop bike, it will need to be assembled correctly. This doesn't just mean putting the front wheel on etc., it means adjusting the brakes, derailleurs, etc. Factor in ~$60 for a shop assembly into the cost. If a shop gives you crap about it, find another shop.
    I have a buddy who grew up on bikes that is going to teach me in the ins and outs on maintenance, so I got that covered I trust him, he's a mechanical engineering major after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravatrax View Post
    but I am wondering how the frame would stand up to just trail riding, XC type stuff. I don't plan on doing Downhill anytime soon, I don't think this bike would hold up very well, or would it? Lol you tell me.
    Not sure I understand what you are asking? Will it hold up to trail/XC use? Absolutely, that is exactly what it is designed for. Will any inexpensive hardtail hold up to "downhill"? If you mean big drops etc., nope.

Anyway, I have a Gravity Point 5. Similar components as the 26 you’re looking at in a 29er. I love it. I ride xc, single track with a lot of technical PA rock gardens and roots. No issues at all.

You may find the need or desire of a few minor upgrades: obviously pedals, and possibly headset, stem, bars, seat post, saddle, and lastly wheels/rims. All I have done thus far is bars. Wheel set is next, followed by the other stuff. Still a tremendous value compared to any LBS stuff near me.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vetmotox View Post
    Not sure I understand what you are asking? Will it hold up to trail/XC use? Absolutely, that is exactly what it is designed for. Will any inexpensive hardtail hold up to "downhill"? If you mean big drops etc., nope.

Anyway, I have a Gravity Point 5. Similar components as the 26 you’re looking at in a 29er. I love it. I ride xc, single track with a lot of technical PA rock gardens and roots. No issues at all.

You may find the need or desire of a few minor upgrades: obviously pedals, and possibly headset, stem, bars, seat post, saddle, and lastly wheels/rims. All I have done thus far is bars. Wheel set is next, followed by the other stuff. Still a tremendous value compared to any LBS stuff near me.

Good luck.
    Thank you. sorta lost my credit but once my new one comes in Ill be getting this bike. I realize that, I understand that DH bikes are very much so purpose built. Yeah those minor thing tend to add up though, oh well, there is this awesome things called eBay.I think thing like handlebars, heasdsets, saddles etc etc are sorta personal preference, but well see. My buddy thinks the brakes while will suit me, might want to be the first major upgrade to the bike. The fork I know is amazing though, atleast 450$ retail in stores.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I purchased the htx 9 a month ago and I am very happy with my purchase. You can't beat this deal with the x9 components and the Reba fork is amazing. I quickly upgraded pedals to wellgo mg-1 pedals. Next on deck are new grips and wider handle bars.

Only issue with my purchase was it came with a bent derrailieur hanger which was the fault of UPS not BD. fortunately they sent a replacement out and I was Rollin in no time.

I definitely recommend pulling the trigger!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Pulled the trigger! Bike Ordered

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got my bike the other day and it just got it out of the shop. It's pretty nice. The forks are good, the drivetrain is excellent, I am still getting used to the shifting so sometimes I miss shift and it throws my momentum off. The brake leave a little to be desired. My bike shipped with Avid Elixer 3s instead of the Tektro Hydraulic Brajes advertised, not sure why, but those probably aren't much different from what I am told. Yeah for now I will keep them but I am going to save for new brakes that's for sure.
    I might get some new handlebars too, not sure, brakes first. My uncle is letting me have is Crank Bros Candy pedals, so that's 100$ I don't have to spend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Glad you are happy with your purchase.

Let me know what Handlebars you get and how you like them. I probably should have brought my bike to a shop initially but decide to wait 100 miles which I hit a few rides so I will be taking it in this week. I also thought the Avid Elixir 3's were a little iffy but I just chalked it up to needing maintenance so i'll see how they are after my first tune up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hydraulic brakes need to be adjusted and can be fidgety, whether they are $100 brakes or $500 brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah I know. I think my only other complaints are the pedals are worthless, big woop, most people replace them anyways. I am not entirely sure about the crankset however. The outermost sprocket has some bent teeth, I could probably fix it with a hammer but some of the teeth are starting to appear worn already, this is after just 30 minutes of bike riding. I should note that I am just getting back into biking so maybe the damage is my fault but I think I crossed the gears (or whatever the terminology is) just once or twice and it wasn't under much pressure and I was quick to make sure the gears went back into proper alignment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    >some of the teeth are starting to appear worn after just 30 minutes

Any chance what you're seeing regarding worn teeth is related to the following post? Sounded similar so I thought I'd mention it.

forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/please-post-your-experience-2012-fantom-29pro-sl-dynassys-2x10-788006.html