Thread: Build Quality

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Build Quality

Hello again. I recently posted a topic regarding a 529ht and a fandom 29 x4. I have been doing a lot of research and stopped into a local bike and ski shop that srsells specialized. I was offered a hard rock sport 29er with hydro brAkes for 525+tax. Although a great deal,it's out of my budget. I got back home and saw that the parts on the two motos and the hard rock are identical in most areas. The motos do have 100mm travel as opposed to the 80mm for the specialized. The guy did state that the frames are known to crack in lower end bikes and that the motobecane of now isn't the same as the motobecane of years ago. So where does everyone here stand? I see a lot of 1000$+ bikes being posted here but nothing in the 400-450 range. Should I worry about frame issues? Is the moto reliable and not cheap Japanese department store grade bikes? The majority of my riding will be towing my daughter in a trAiler on paved trails and rail to trail rides and the occasional local park dirt paths. Anything that you guys can contribute on personal experience or any kind of input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Motobecane frames are made by Kinesis, who also makes Diamondback, Felt, Kona, GT and Trek among others. The reason they are so inexpensive is because they are own by Bikes Direct. Factory direct to you, no middleman.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    XBMXPRO - do you own a Motobecane?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    mjm, I just ordered the new 650b Fantom fs. Has'nt come in yet but I did a lot of research before I decided on it

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    keep me updated will you on how the process goes and what you think of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    As stated, the frames are made by kenesis. The HT series uses straight tubes, whereas the fantom series uses hydroformed / butted tubing and kenesium alloy. For the money, I dont think you can do better. The groupset is reasonably solid, and in many cases compares to slightly more expensive bikes. I'm very happy with my 550HT (at least once I upgraded the fork) and so is everyone who's ridden it. Ive suggested motos to friends and family and everyone seems to be extremely happy with what you get for the money. If youre worried about the frame, dont be scared, they seems to hold up pretty well. I'm tipping the scales at 225, and my 550HT held up so well, I picked up another frame for my new x7/x9 build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a motobecane hybrid "adventure elite". Frame quality is pretty good. I've taken it on some rocky/rutted trails and never had a problem with it. I'd say it's as good as any of the entry level big name brand bike store frames. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the frame. The XCT fork is junk though, but that's standard on all the sub-$500 bikes regardless of brand. If you can squeeze out the money, go for something with a rockshox Recon Silver or better. Huge difference.

One thing I've noticed with my BD bikes (have 4 of them) is the assembly is hit or miss, primarily the bottom bracket and wheel hubs. If you're mechanically inclined, I recommend getting a tool kit (the following is a good one, with free shipping). I have a similar one from pricepoint and the only thing that's failed is the crankset removal tool. I used it so much, the smaller end cap came off. Harbor freight tool concept, "if you use it enough to break it, you use it enough to get a good one". Grabbing a park tool.

JensonUSA 728 Tool Kit > Accessories > Tools > Tool Kits | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OK, the bike came in yesterday. The box arrived in good condition and the bike was wrapped up really well. No scratches at all, no bent wheels or derailleurs. Assembly was typical. Took it out today for a 10 mile ride and had no problems with anything. This thing is a beast. I love it. The frame looks great. Nice paint job and the welds look nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    XBMXPRO - Any pics you can upload? Would love to see it in an actual picture outside of a manufacturer sale pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a Fly Team Ti 29er, customized with a 140mm Rockshox fork, 180/180 rotors, wide bars, short stem, wide rims, 2.5 DH tire in front, 2.25 rear, 1x10 setup

This is my main bike for riding in Coastal BC. Some people call the XC we have here DH and some people call the AM as actually Insane. I have taken it on Black and Double Black trails here.

I ride it hard. I beat it hard on lots of steep, rocky, rooty, fast, jumps, ramps, drops, ... everything that comes it takes.

I am 215 lbs geared up.

The Ti frame is solid. The XO trail 4 piston brakes are really really good. The XO drivetrail is awesome. The bike is a steal for the money.

I don't like the standover height. That is the one thing I would suggest they improve on the Ti mtb frames.

It was my first time buying from BD and I would definitely buy a BD bike again.

All the spare parts went to the wife's bike