mtbr member

Bottom bracket shell on Fly Ti

I noticed a mild creak from my cranks (changed to shorter spindle XTR 970s) riding to work this morning - set it up with slicks so I can use it before spring.

I took a closer look, and just noticed that there is a thin line running perfectly circular and straight all the way around the bottom bracket shell about 5mm fro the edge on the drive side. I can catch it with a finger nail, and it could look like a crack - but I have never heard or seen such a crack - in a fairly thick, titanium BB shell.

I can not remember if it was there when I was installing cranks. I will take cranks off later to take a closer look, given I can locate that stupid XTR tool, but in the mean time - anybody with Fly can take a look at their bottom bracket shell and tell me if there is anything like that, presumably from machining?

mtbr member
    The creaking mystery got resolved. My sneakers got wide soles that been catching crank arm and squeaked. Was not immediately obvious while riding.

But it did the damage to my psyche, now I can not ignore that imperfection on the BB shell. WIll have to take the cranks off, and I have no idea where I left that stupid tool. Can't Shimano do XTR just like the excellent SLX/XT interface?

mtbr member
    Looking at a picture of the new 29r Fly ti from bikesdirect website, there is an exact same machining on the BB shell, so I guess that is a feature. Close inspection found nothing structurally or aesthetically wrong on mine.

mtbr member
    I have the same line on the bb shell of my Fantom Ti.

Funny you should mention the squeaky sound. I had the same sound when the weather got cold and it turned out that it was my winter booties rubbing against the crank arms. So after a whole winter of riding, the darn FSA crank arms which were black are now half polished silver. Oh well!

And speaking of weird noises, if you ever get water down the seat tube and it freezes, it creaks when you sit down and pedal, like a cracked tube or seat post. Rather disturbing sound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eujinc
    And speaking of weird noises, if you ever get water down the seat tube and it freezes...
    That's why I do tolerate California's costs and taxes. No freezing water in my seat tube.