mtbr member
    Apr 2014

bike island bike problems gravity point 6

first of all I'de like to say this is my second bike direct purchase my first bike, A gravity point 1. went together with not much more than turning a wrench and I love it... so much that I ordered another gravity this time a point 6 from bike island its regular price is 1200 I got mine for 999 with scuffs on seat stays chain rings and crank... problem Is when putting it together I noticed my derailleur hanger was bent ok N/P I thought, prolly just got roughed up while being shipped I bent it back into shape and finished assembly. jumped on my new bike and noticed the pedals didn't feel right, then I noticed the crank arms weren't 180 from each other clearly an assembly error... and now I need to buy a spanner wrench to fix this before I can ride my new bike. Ive sent bike direct and bike island an email explaining this so hopefully I will hear back and they can make this right... BTW does anybody know who assembles bikes direct bikes I know the frames are made in china and shipped but do they ship from china w/components like forks/derraileurs/cranks ect or are they put on at bike directs warehouse?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'd make a fair bet the ones from bikesdirect are assembled at the factory. bikesdirect just gets them in the door and ships them back out. Bike I got straight from bikesdirect needed the pedals, handlebar/stem, seat, and rear derailure installed. The ones I got from bike island were the same, but had the rear derailure installed already.
    Two things I concluded from this. First; bikes should be shipped with the rear derailure removed (the bikedirect's purchased, straight from manufacturer one shipped like this). This protects the derailure hanger and prevents damage to the drivetrain if the cable is yanked during shipping. Second, assume every bike from bikeisland has gone to someone elses house. The bike was damaged in shipping or was assembled by the original buyer and the person couldn't figure it out. The bike was then returned. Every bike I've got from bike island had litle quirks that I had to fix. Luckily I didn't need parts other than a couple screws and some new cables.

My advise, get one of the $50 bike toolkits. I've got one, and I've used almost every tool in it. Not parktools quality, but not bad. I would spend extra for a decent set of hex wrenchs though. FYI, make sure the toolkit has the correct bottombracket tool for your bike (internal vs. external) and when you remove the crankarms, doublecheck the crank puller to make sure it's threaded in properly and has the correct endcap. Otherwise, you could easily strip our your cranks and have to replace them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Update.... bike island emailed me back they've already sent me a replacement derraileur hanger and asked me to take the bike to a shop to have the crank looked at but ide already bought the spanner and removed the crank arm and moved it one turn on the splines so it was straight -o- it was a bit of a pita but its done... will def get a toolkit soon... also checked out performance bike and didn't see much that compared to this bike for 999 best I saw was elixir 1-3 brakes recon fork , and mine came with elixir 7's reba fork and XTR 10 speed derraileur so Im happy with my purchase again and was surprised how quickly bike island replied and resolved my problems

mtbr member
    Ive dealt with both Bikes direct and Bike island...Both great experiences.
    2014 Motobecane 550HT
    2013 Mongoose XR200