mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Bike Comparison: Motobecane Fantom 29 X5 vs. BAMF Grappler 29er vs. Gravity 29Point2

Hey guys, hoping for a bit of opinion on my first real bike purchase:

I'm looking at all three of these bikes, they're all around the same price point, the Fantom is $50 more, but who's counting.

I'm 6'2" 33 inch inseam, 280 lbs total beginner mountain biker. I like a slightly more upright posture. I've been riding a way to small bike, and my wrists are killing me from having so much weight on them.

I like to ride XC, I guess, but as you all know, XC really has a bit of everything. I like long flowy single track, without too much madness, but despite my best intentions, madness usually finds me.

So, any thoughts on which bike might provide best bang for the buck, long term usability, while supporting my massive girth?

Also, frame sizes for those bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you want an XC bike, at your weight, I think you should look for a good used 26er that fits you well and swap out the wheelsets for stronger downhill wheels.

mtbr member
    I've never thrown a leg over the other bikes, but I'm 6'4, was 280+ geared, now I'm down to 260.. and like the fit and feel of my 21 inch Motobecane Fantom 29. I got the Pro X9 version and have had no problems with the WTB wheels after plenty of rooty trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
    If you want an XC bike, at your weight, I think you should look for a good used 26er that fits you well and swap out the wheelsets for stronger downhill wheels.
    I'm with this guy. Even though you're dropping a good amount of $$, (i'm sorry to tell you) you're still on the cheap end of bikes. One of the things that manufacturers save money on is wheelsets, and any of the bikes you listed is going to have a heavier and weaker wheelset. Having a 29" wheel is going to compound that problem.

I would suggest asking for a good starter bike in the Clydesdale section of this forum, those guys can point you in the right direction for something that will hold up to your weight but still be reasonably light and affordable!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    I would suggest asking for a good starter bike in the Clydesdale section of this forum, those guys can point you in the right direction for something that will hold up to your weight but still be reasonably light and affordable!
    thanks man, I didn't know the wheelsets would be so weak! Sucks!

ill head over there and see what the Clyde's have to say.