mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Which Bike is the better DEAL???

Hi,
    I'm a rookie and I'm looking to get the best deal i can for the money. I just stumped over witch bike to get out of these three at bikesdirect.com all three are almost the same price. I'm 6 foot / 240 lbs. The type of riding that i'll be doing is cross country, city roads and jumping off-of city curbs. The first bike that i was considering is http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...trail_ds08.htm
    The second bike is
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tom_comp08.htm
    And the third bike is
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm
    Again, I'm new to all this and i would really appreciate any ones help or opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am about the same size and height as you are. I have test rode a ton of bikes at the LHSs. Originally I really thought I want a full suspension bike. After trying them I decided that I really didn't want a FS due to how much squash you get out of the back end when you get out of the saddle and peddle hard. I also found that I really like the way that the 29s roll.

Just thought I would tell you what I have found. By the way I have decided on a 29er. I really wanted a Motobecane but they don't have any more in stock last I checked.

good luck on your search.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the Fantom 29 and I am very satisfied. I am also 6' and I believe you will like the 29er. I have been documenting my experience in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the Fantom Pro 29er. I am about the same height, and weight as you. I do not have anything to compare it to, but it sure seems tough to get those 29" inch wheels spinning. It looks like it takes much less effort to pedal on the smaller bikes if you ask me. Again, I have nothing to compare it to. Perhaps someone can chime in?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was told by Mike the on Friday that more Motos are on the water and will be here in a week and half to 2 and a half weeks..

Cartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzi
    I was told by Mike the on Friday that more Motos are on the water and will be here in a week and half to 2 and a half weeks..
    Can anyone confirm this?
    2008 Motobecane-USA Fantom Pro
    Cleveland Area Mountain Biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was told around 6 weeks or so from someone named Lindsey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I went to order a Fantom Comp DS and there weren't any in my size, so I asked Mike and that is what he told me, via private message

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by desant89
    I have the Fantom Pro 29er. I am about the same height, and weight as you. I do not have anything to compare it to, but it sure seems tough to get those 29" inch wheels spinning. It looks like it takes much less effort to pedal on the smaller bikes if you ask me. Again, I have nothing to compare it to. Perhaps someone can chime in?
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN? THAT YOU'VE NEVER RIDDEN A 29ER??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Oh' I see what your saying is that you don't have a 26 inch bike to compare it to. Hey, can you tell me what size of the Fantom 29er you got and what size hight and weight you are ??

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mpg
    I have the Fantom 29 and I am very satisfied. I am also 6' and I believe you will like the 29er. I have been documenting my experience in a blog at http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/

I really like your site its cool and very informative. Thank you. Can you tell me what size Fantom 29er Bike you ordered and what your weight and height is?

Thanks, Kenji

Frt Range, CO
    Kenji, order the Fantom Pro that has the correct standover height. If you're not sure what standover height you need, take a tape measure to a big box sporting goods store that carries bikes and figure out what standover height you need. It should be ~1-1.5 inches less than a very tight measurement from your "boys" to the floor in shoes you'd ride with.

The bikedirect site has a link to the frame geometry, there you'll find the standover height listed for all the frame sizes.

Order your bike so you can start riding

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    Oh' I see what your saying is that you don't have a 26 inch bike to compare it to. Hey, can you tell me what size of the Fantom 29er you got and what size hight and weight you are ??
    \
    Kenji, yes, no 26er before. I have not ridden a bike since my 20" BMX. It just looks much easier when I ride with people on the 26er. As for the height. I put a book between my legs, and pushed it all the way up (yes, up tight), then I measured from the ground to the top of the book (highest point). It was 35" for me. I got a 19" frame on the Fantom Pro, and it fits me perfect. If I got a 21, I would not be able to stand over it without having my voice go to a higher pitch(of course standover is standing over the frame, not the seat).....Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    another private message from Mike, he says that there should be some fantom comp ds' coming right after July 4th

Cartographer
    The stand-over height listed on that geometry page is measured from the ground up to the top bar at it's LOWEST POINT. AKA, near the seat post. Just letting you know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Usually the stand over is mid way up the top bar. At least it is with every other brand that I know of. In fact if you look at the geometry page of their website it even shows mid way up the top tube.

Cartographer
    I measured my Fantom and it is not measured from the middle but toward the rear. That is why I was warning first time buyers.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox
    The stand-over height listed on that geometry page is measured from the ground up to the top bar at it's LOWEST POINT. AKA, near the seat post. Just letting you know.
    It's the middle of the top tube, not by the seat post. I've confirmed it on two frames.