mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best fit for the Fly Team/Pro? Comfy for long rides?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into getting the Fly Pro or Fly team but I am concerned about fitting. This is my first real bike as i've just been chugging the trails on a cheapo setup. I'm also new to biking so any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm 5'8" to 5'9" with an inside leg (from crotch to floor) of 32". For the most part i'm riding on bumpy pavement, dirt/rocks, but nothing too crazy (I see you guys writing about 5 foot drops). From bikes direct I'm at the end of the 16" and the beginning of the 18". If only they had a 17".

Can anyone who owns this bike please post height and frame size and whether or not it's comfortable?

Also as a general question, would this bike be comfortable for a 5 hr ride?

Thanks in advance everyone.

mtbr member

I'm 5 8

with a 31 inseam and am right on the edge of the fly 9357 16 frame size. I ended up putting a longer stem on the 16 bike in order to get the right upper body angle. My next fly frame will be an 18 in.

If you like an upright position, then a 16 might be all right. However, if you want the upper body at a 45 degree angle, then you probably want an 18.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hmm I wouldn't mind a more upright position but I need to be able to get that speed when I hit the long straighaways, it sounds like an 18 with a shorter stem might work?

mtbr member

my 16 in fly

Quote Originally Posted by JwL2222
    hmm I wouldn't mind a more upright position but I need to be able to get that speed when I hit the long straighaways, it sounds like an 18 with a shorter stem might work?
    came with what i think was a 80 mm stem, so pretty short already. Another alternative is to put a lo riser bar on the 18 inch if you want a more upright position--probably be another $35 for an alloy bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    came with what i think was a 80 mm stem, so pretty short already. Another alternative is to put a lo riser bar on the 18 inch if you want a more upright position--probably be another $35 for an alloy bar.
    Thanks for the replies stevemtu, how do you like the ride? Comfortable for longer rides?

mtbr member

The fly's are built more for speed than comfort

However, the new ones come with the new 100 mm sid fork (I think) and that will help soften the bumps compared to my edition. I run mine with a tubeless wheel setup, a 2.3 tire on the rear and 2.1 on the front. 25 psi in the rear. Also a wide saddle. This is pretty comfy for anything up to two hours on upper midwest singletrack provided the pace is moderate (not race pace). I have found that races >2hrs are better contested with a full suspension (for me anyway)...but I am 50 years old and the body is not as tough as it used to be.

But the Aluminum fly as delivered from BD is definitely fast on trails or road, but it seems to me to be designed mainly for racing. If you are looking for something out of the box that will let you do long epic rides at a comfortable pace, maybe you should check out the selection of BD 29'ers or full suspensions or maybe their Titanium fly bikes.

I am kind of looking at the Ti Fly because Ti frames are supposed to have a little flex on bumpy trails. So maybe the Ti fly is a way to get low weight, speed and comfort?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    However, the new ones come with the new 100 mm sid fork (I think) and that will help soften the bumps compared to my edition. I run mine with a tubeless wheel setup, a 2.3 tire on the rear and 2.1 on the front. 25 psi in the rear. Also a wide saddle. This is pretty comfy for anything up to two hours on upper midwest singletrack provided the pace is moderate (not race pace). I have found that races >2hrs are better contested with a full suspension (for me anyway)...but I am 50 years old and the body is not as tough as it used to be.

But the Aluminum fly as delivered from BD is definitely fast on trails or road, but it seems to me to be designed mainly for racing. If you are looking for something out of the box that will let you do long epic rides at a comfortable pace, maybe you should check out the selection of BD 29'ers or full suspensions or maybe their Titanium fly bikes.

I am kind of looking at the Ti Fly because Ti frames are supposed to have a little flex on bumpy trails. So maybe the Ti fly is a way to get low weight, speed and comfort?
    yea from what i've been reading it seems that the Ti frame may be better for comfort altho i'm also not sure if this is wishful thinking (i.e. people who spent a lot of money on a Ti frame). I would love to have the Fly Ti but it is beyond my budget. the fantom team is definitely a tease weighing in only at 25 lbs or so for a DS. once again, a bit expensive but it'd be nice. I may just go with their DS bikes. altho I have never raced, I often go on 8 hr rides to far away trails so comfort is placed on a higher premium. however, the unique Fly frame is just so tempting. the reviews for the DS frame is mixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

May be a Thudbuster

perhaps having a wide comfy seat + thudbuster + carbon seatpost would make this ride better?