mtbr member
    Feb 2013

BD Elite Adventure Vs. Elite Trail X4?

Hey guys,

Newbie here, looking to get a bike soon. I am looking at the Bikes direct Elite Adventure or the Elite Trail X4. I don't know enough about the components to determine if the Elite Adventure is worth the Extra $50 or not. Either one is doable, just not sure if I should save the $50 and go with the X4. If anyone could provide some insight, or some links to learn about the different componets it would be much appreciated.

I tried to post the links, but it wouldn't let me because of my post count

Thanks,

matt

Rogue Exterminator
    I really hate to say one is better for you than the other since nobody here really knows what type of riding you plan on doing or anything else about you.

Bike Direct is a good online dealer and online dealers do offer some great prices but I will suggest you look closer at your local bike shops first. Sure, you will pay a little more money but isn't having somebody help you select the right type of bike with the right components and the right fit worth something? Not to mention the value in the fact that they will put it together and tune it up before you ride it and then probably give you another free tune up after it is broken in.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    After I had posted I had realized that I didn't tell you my uses. I plan on commuting and then some weekend riding as well. Commute is about 8miles one way, half down dirt roads, half down roads.

I have been to a few local bike shops, but most of their bikes have been starting around $600-$700. I have a budget of $300-400. I'm not to concern with the additional work that will come with an online purchase. In fact, even if I bought locally, there is a good chance that I would still be doing all the work myself, as that is the type of person I am. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, do all the work on mine and my wife's car, and prefer to learn to do it myself so I don't have to rely on someone else.

Thanks for the comments.

matt

Rogue Exterminator
    Most the components are very similar other than a different crankset and derailleurs.
    For me, I like Shimano Derailleurs better but that is a personal preference and some people prefer the SRAM but I might pay the extra $50 based on that alone.
    Either way though they are still all entry level components and either bike will do what you described well.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Cow Clicker
    Essentially the same bike. Spend the $50 on gloves, helmet, chain lube and some tools.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks guys, that basically answers my questions. I am budgeting for the things you mentioned, as well as a rack, light and some panniers. Will also need to pick up a lock and a pump.

Thanks again guys.

matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Check out my channel on youtube I got some vids of it going offroad, so far I haven't had anything on there break. The materials are high quality and after 1000mi. I did a tune up and it rode like new, very smooth. The gears are pretty nice too, this things like a sportscar compared to the dept. store bikes. If you are looking to become aserious athlete I highly reccommend it, Budget wise I'd go with the adventure because I don't feel that disk brake in the rear is really neccesary.
    TheBikemaster94's channel - YouTube
    Last edited by TheBikemaster94; 04-02-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: duplicate

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Check out my channel on youtube I got some vids of it going offroad, so far I haven't had anything on there break. The materials are high quality and after 1000mi. I did a tune up and it rode like new, very smooth. The gears are pretty nice too, this things like a sportscar compared to the dept. store bikes. If you are looking to become aserious athlete I highly reccommend it, Budget wise I'd go with the adventure because I don't feel that disk brake in the rear is really neccesary.
    TheBikemaster94's channel - YouTube