mtbr member

Avid Juicy brake tuning on your Moto MTB?

I threw a post up on the brake forum but wanted to link it here as well in case there is something Moto specific about this. I have the Fantom Elite DS with the Juicy 5 brakes.

My issue is brake rub and vibration....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/avid-tuning-rotor-rub-418351.html#post4512017

Thanks!

Frt Range, CO
    Stupid question, did you follow the set-up as per the manual? It's really important that the inner brake shoe be as close to the rotor as possible without rubbing. If you look closely as you pull the lever, the calipers push on the disc. If the inner pad isn't close enough to the rotor, the rotor flexes as the pads close, that's is the cause of vibrating/noise. Once the inner pad is really close to the rotor, the rotor will not flex under braking. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from the SRAM site. It's in the dealer info section, no password needed to download it.

Looking at your post, a little rub isn't the end of the world. You should try to rotate a front disc on a passenger car, they rub too. Rear brake, my guess is probably the shoes aren't position correctly. Have a look at the rear rotor while pulling the lever, is the rotor flexing?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Once I ordered the bike the final assembly was done/checked by a local bike shop. But if I recall, I think the brakes were already on the frame so there wasn't a lot to do. Mount the rotors on the wheels I think. ?

Anyway, I'll try that and see. That is a really good tip about the rotors flexing and could be the ticket on my rear. It did not appear until I noticed the back break was loose and I tightened it down on the trail. So maybe I misaligned it in the process.

MNTNBKR
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    Stupid question, did you follow the set-up as per the manual? It's really important that the inner brake shoe be as close to the rotor as possible without rubbing. If you look closely as you pull the lever, the calipers push on the disc. If the inner pad isn't close enough to the rotor, the rotor flexes as the pads close, that's is the cause of vibrating/noise. Once the inner pad is really close to the rotor, the rotor will not flex under braking. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from the SRAM site. It's in the dealer info section, no password needed to download it.

Looking at your post, a little rub isn't the end of the world. You should try to rotate a front disc on a passenger car, they rub too. Rear brake, my guess is probably the shoes aren't position correctly. Have a look at the rear rotor while pulling the lever, is the rotor flexing?
    Is this really the case since he is using Juicy 5's? I thought BOTH pads moved inward toward the rotor and the rotor should be completely centered between the two pads, hence the Avid Tru-Align feature.
    Durango, CO