mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Assembly service charges from LBS ?

How much should I expect to pay for assembly and service charges from a moto ?

I'm not 100% clueless, I have adjustes derailleurs. brakes, flats etc but thats it.
    I would not know what else needs to be taken apart etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Do you have the bike yet? Putting together one of these bikes is amazingly simple, all you will need is a few allen wrenches. It is almost completely assembled when you get it.

I can't really answer your question though as I have never had a bike store build a bike for me.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, havent even ordered yet

The problem is this, if the bike was PROPERLY put together by the factory, I would not have a problem putting it together.
    But, many of these bikes are NOT put together properly; and I dont have the expertise to figure out that something is wrong...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you tried asking at the shop where you plan to take the bike? I'm sure it varies from shop to shop, based in part on their attitude towards mail order bikes.

These bikes are put together at the factory in the same way as one of the big name bikes.

Former Bike Wrench
    Figure somewhere around the same price as a full tune-up...which can run $50-$100

A LBS should welcome the opportunity to earn your service and accessory business (where they make the most profit anyway). If they give you attitude about your "mail order" bike, go to another shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just happened to ask a LBS today about putting together my Fantom 29 Pro and they said for the cost of the tune up ($50), they'd do that and put the rest together as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    12-pack.

YMMV.

bf

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    LOL... Wish I were that tight w/ them.

Former Bike Wrench
    It usually worked on me back in my bicycle mechanic days...I had several "regulars" who got the "Bro Deal" on service...even if it was nothing more than expediting the service.

Bushwacker
    Don't forget the Torx tool for the front disc mount. That catches some off guard.
    Last edited by Starkonian; 10-07-2008 at 10:28 PM.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At a local bike store, they have the following services (from their website):
    Pro Bicycle Build :$125
    Bicycle Build (from box): $55

I was trying to figure out what a pro-build meant, and here is something I found (for a different shop on amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Build-Bike.../dp/B0009F1S4I

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wearetheborg
    At a local bike store, they have the following services (from their website):
    Pro Bicycle Build :$125
    Bicycle Build (from box): $55

I was trying to figure out what a pro-build meant, and here is something I found (for a different shop on amazon):
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Build-Bike.../dp/B0009F1S4I
    It doesn't matter what Amazon (or anybody else advertising anywhere else) defines as "pro-build."

You need to talk to a particular shop to see what, specifically, is included in each of the particular packages they offer.

IME, the "pro-" or "top" level builds include a complete overhaul, including bottom bracket, hubs, and headset, as opposed to just tweaking brakes, derailleurs, and performing the 3-inch drop test making sure nothing falls off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No, havent even ordered yet

The problem is this, if the bike was PROPERLY put together by the factory, I would not have a problem putting it together.
    But, many of these bikes are NOT put together properly; and I dont have the expertise to figure out that something is wrong...
    If you haven't ordered yet, and apparently you haven't ordered in the past either, how would you have the experience to substantiate your statement that "many of these bikes are not put together correctly?"

Former Bike Wrench
    "Pro Build" when I worked on bikes meant they will strip the bike down to the frame and prep (Face) the head tube and bottom bracket. Then they will assemble the bike greasing all the component interfaces and torquing all bolts, cups, etc. They will also check and repack any bearings (such as headset and hubs) with new grease. And lastly they will true and tension (and check with a tension gauge) the wheels.

"Bicycle Build" is just removing the bike from the box and making the necessary adjustments to the brakes, derailleurs, bearings (hubs, headset), and wheels. They may remove the bottom bracket (I always did) and grease the threads and cups and torque to specifications. But not much beyond that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is it recommended to get a "pro-build" for the motobecanes ? Say the Fantom 29 pro or windsdor cliff29 team ?

I assume that the bikes sold by LBS undergo a pro-build ?

Former Bike Wrench

Some answers

Is it recommended to get a "pro-build" for the motobecanes ? Say the Fantom 29 pro or windsdor cliff29 team ?
    Yes and no...
    A standard build will get you rolling down the trail and for the most part be sufficient. However, a "pro-build" will often provide better long term performance and reliability. For instance, facing the bottom bracket threads will make sure the BB bearings are perfectly aligned. Mis-alignment...even a minor amount shortens the life of the bearings. Same for a headset. Having the wheels (which are machine built) properly tensioned in addition to truing will increase the life of the wheels and keep them in true longer.

I assume that the bikes sold by LBS undergo a pro-build ?
    Actually, having worked in several different shops...most do not. High end bikes generally do because they often come as a frame and build kit. But the average bike that is already partially assembled from Asia (just like Motobecane and Windsor) are usually given the standard build.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    1.5 -6mm Allen wrenches, 25 Torx, 15mm Pedal (Box End) wrench, and an Adjustable for misc stuff, is all you need to build an MB. You might (probably) need to do a basic truing on the wheels...but you can definitely build and ride it without an LBS for a while. I didn't have time to mess with the wheels, so after a month or so I took it to the LBS. The guy at the counter didn't care it was MB and when I asked for the $99 "strip it to the frame service" (since it was there anyway and I too was new and worried about bottom brackets and stuff also) he said "I'd like to take your money, but the $40 tune is all you probably need...unless something is making noise or doesn't feel smooth, those things are usually good to go out of the box" So they earned a customer Do whatever makes you comfortable.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went to two bike shops.
    Bike shop 1 said motobecanes/fujis were crap; and that he stopped carrying ironhorse etc bikes, something about thier attitude.
    Bike shop 2(the one with the $125 pro build), I talked to a salesman and he said that was for when I brought in a bunch of parts together, perhaps not all the parts being there, to make a bike and that is when the shop would charge me $125. He said normal lubrication etc would be covered in the $55 if entire bike came in a box.

Former Bike Wrench
    Sounds like shop #2 is the way to go...I always welcomed "mail order" bikes as a mechanic because they often became regular customers for parts and service. For a shop to call another manufacturer "crap" is stupid...Huffy's are crap but the shops I worked for still made money tuning them up.

The entire bike comes in the box so I'm sure you'll be fine with the $55 service

HTFU!

Bike Snobs

I definitely agree with mtnbiker; shops that give you attitude right away are shops to avoid. I own a Fuji cross bike (used 90% for road riding), and now my Fantom Team. I too have had bad experiences with some LBS personell. Some act like because you did not buy your bike from them, they do not want anything to do with you. Some do not get the idea of building a customer base.
    Fortunately, my wife and I are avid REI customers and have bought most of our camping, backpacking and casual gear there. The guys in the bike shop are great. I have received great advice and service as well as tips on trails I did not know about. There are certainly some shops that 'get it' but too many do not, and I would not want any part of them. Still, unless you are comfortable doing everything on your own, it is good to have a relationship with a bike shop, so to make a long story short (waaaay to late), it looks like shop #2 is the way to go.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    This thread should be standard reading for anyone purchasing a Motobecane, Windsor, Dawes, etc. Great info - especially for those who haven't previously been through the process or aren't comfortable with their mechanical skills.