mtbr member

Asking nicely: Ti 27.5+

Would love to see BD bring out a hardtail Titanium 27.5+ model. Would be great for bike packing.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    or 29+, but I'm not too picky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Will the ti xc 29 frame fit 27.5x2.8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druthomas View Post
    Will the ti xc 29 frame fit 27.5x2.8?
    No,

and I have owned the Ti xc 29er frame for 2.5 years now. the one with the tapered headset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So is the tapered head tube frame a lot different than this one.

Motobecane FLY Team Titanium 29er with 27.5x2.8 Tires

mtbr member

that is a very interesting photo.... according to that link, that is NOT the frame I have

this is the older version of the frame...

the one in this link has a straight steerer...

Ill have to take some measurements when I get home, and get back to you ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cool, thanks!!! I have a sweet pair of hope flow ex wheels I would like to use as 275+ rocket rons on one of these bike and a dual purpose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bikes direct assured me that the newer ti frames will also accept 27.5+. The tire in the link is 2.8 so I wouldn't go bigger than that.

mtbr member
    Thanks for this update with photo link a Fly TI with 2.8 tires. DH and I are getting more interested in bikepacking. IIRC, I got my 29er Fly TI three (maybe four) Christmases ago.

Now I need to find someone with 27.5+ wheels set w/ 2.8" tires (or maybe 2.6") and see what fits. I really like the idea of repurposing this bike for bike packing. The need for wider tires ties into riding in areas that likely will have a least some riding in sandy washes or dirt roads with sandy sections here and there. I don't really want to go full fat or even full PLUS. This might be the "just right" option.

Would likely be more oriented to bike touring on graded dirt and 4 WD roads in Utah.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi!

Don't know if someone else already answered this but yes. There are some construction differences. The Seat tube has a forward bend at the middle to save some milimeters's on wheelbase; the downtube also is hidroformed and I think that both the seat stays and chain stays has some style. I owned the 2014 version with the tapered tube. Really a nice frame. :-)
    Erwin [PR]
    Marathon Mountain Biker
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

New Ti Frame version: Boost Ti

They have upgraded the Ti frame with the Boost version!! A lot of positive changes and a new geometry!

I wish they offer a Trade-In program. :-)
    Last edited by Erwin; 05-11-2017 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Adding some text
    Erwin [PR]
    Marathon Mountain Biker
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    They have upgraded the Ti frame with the Boost version!! A lot of positive changes and a new geometry!

I wish they offer a Trade-In program. :-)
    I know, right? Now I have to decide whether to get a new wheel set (re: pics of Ti Fly with 2.75 x 2.8") tires or get a brand new bike. Decisions decisions.
    Last edited by June Bug; 05-15-2017 at 08:02 AM.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    $2,300 for that build is insane. Frankly, finding a comparable Ti 27.5+ offering at any price is difficult. I have another of their ORA-made Ti bikes and they are great frames.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Was this just added? I was on the site a couple days ago and definitely didn't see this as an option.

Edit: Damn, the geometry (at least the angles) are fantastic, similar to my ROS, which is the best riding bike I have owned. If these were SS compatible... I'd be ordering.

mtbr member

A bit of investigation: I looked carefully at those photos and as far as I can tell, the wheels are the now discontinued Stan's Rapid rims, URL="https://www.notubes.com/rapid-25-rim"]description here[/URL] with an internal rim width of 21.0mm. I'll noodle around on the Stan's site and see which current rims match that.

The tires are WTB; they look like WTB's 27.5+ Trailblazer

That link is to the Competitive Cyclist web site. The third reviewer mounted up the Trailblazers, measured them with digital calipers and came up with an actual 2.386" width, nowhere close to 2.8", so this may be why they fit the old Motobecane 29er frame!

After more noodling around, I came across this article on DirtRag titled Project 27plus Part 2 Ė WTB Trailblazer 2.8 tires

This is the cruz statement from that link:
    Just as with the Panaracer tires I measure in Part 1, the rim makes a huge difference in the width of the tire. Mounted on a standard 21 mm rim the Trailblazers measured just 2.2 inches wide at the tread. They easily fit in a standard 27.5 frame and fork, but because the sidewall is so much taller I canít guarantee they will ride very well.
    If you are thinking of going this route (using a 2.75+ rim and 2.8" tires on the old Motobecan Ti Fly Team), borrow some wheels and tires and do some serious test fitting first.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would doubt the old 29er Ti frames have enough clearance for a decent 27.5 plus tire and rim.
    I have two older Bikes direct 29er Ti frames. One is set up 29er and one with 44 c compass road tires. They are great frames and I don't see me getting rid of them.

Their new Ti plus bike with boost is a fantastic value. Even has braze ons for racks and on the larger models 3 water bottle mounts. No doubt if I was in the market for a 27.5 plus bike I would jump all over this one. I have a Stache for my plus bike.

June just suck it up and get it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    June just suck it up and get it!
    I know, right? As always, just a matter of budget fighting with the "You know you want it" voice!
    This would make an awesome bikepacking bike.

ETA: This statement from the bikes direct web page:

Did you know? BOOST is the newest axle standard. Designed to optimize wheel strength and tire clearance. These 29er Boost Titanium mountain bikes are super versatile. Comes with 29er Boost thru-axle tubeless compatible rim wheels. One can even fit most* 27.5x3.0 wheels and tires for ultimate flotation.
    I'd want to get some actual clearance numbers before clicking the Order button.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    I know, right? As always, just a matter of budget fighting with the "You know you want it" voice!
    This would make an awesome bikepacking bike.

ETA: This statement from the bikes direct web page:

I'd want to get some actual clearance numbers before clicking the Order button.
    I went through the specs.
    Pretty much everything looks good. Front shock should take 3 inch tires. I would check to make sure the rear triangle will take 3 inch tires with adequate clearance.
    I think their rims are a little narrow for plus tires which I think is the only downside. You might consider having new wider rims laced up. If I were to do that i would get a front dyno hub for bikepacking.

Hell Track
    Wondering if anyone has purchased one yet and what their thoughts are on the bike. I'm looking into a steel hard tail but this could be a good option. Geometry seems similar to other bikes I'm looking into. Chain stays are a bit longer however. Bottom line, does the bike rip?

The perfessor
    Nice to see what someone did with an older Ti Fly 29er with straight steerer - I have considered getting bigger tires and adding them to mine, a single-speed converted 29er........

Asking nicely: Ti 27.5+-imag0529.jpg
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

Hell Track
    Anyone know if the Ti Plus has routing for dropper post?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've got one, the X01 29er build. Loving it so far. The parts spec makes it seem like it has a bit of an identity crisis, but the package works extremely well for my local trails. I also have the previous generation 29er frame with the tapered HT. There is no dropper routing, all routing is external. I'll post more details later. Let me know if you have specific questions or want pics of anything in particular.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    How does the front end feel? The head tube angle is pretty slack at 67.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Honestly it feels great. I was worried that it might feel a little dumbed down compared to the previous generation, which I also think feels good overall. The newer one uses a greater fork offset, 51mm vs I think 45, which reduces trail. The result is that it still feels quick witted but is more progressive and little more forgiving of fast adjustments. It's a little lower overall, just a hair longer (the previous was already long) and I have no complaints. I do like it better than the previous gen.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Anyone know if the Ti Plus has routing for dropper post?
    I emailed them yesterday. I got a response and it does not have internal routing, but does have external routing (most likely the front derailleur routing).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Got mine and built it up. I am blown away by how nice the frame is and how it handles on the trail. Great frame!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk