mtbr member

Anyone own a Windsor Cliff 29er Pro?

After much deliberation I'm about to pull the trigger on a Cliff 29er Pro for $699. Pretty good deal for what the components are, but I really haven't heard from anyone that has this specific model. Lost of people have the Comp, the Moto Fantom 29, and the Cliff 29er Team. I'd love to hear if anyone has the Pro, and what they think about the bike.

Cheers!

Here's a link to what I'm looking at: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cliff29pro.htm

mtbr member
    Yep, I have one. Haven't been out on the trails yet, just a few miles on the road.

I have no complaints or regrets...pretty good deal in my opinion.

I did have an issue with the front caliper releasing slowly but the service deptartment was very helpful in getting that problem taken care of.

mtbr member
    What is this service department that you speak of?

And do you know what the resolution was to the sticky caliper?

mtbr member
    I just called the phone number on my Paypal invoice. I found he was extremely helpful in getting the issue resolved.

They had Avid send me a new caliper + bleed kit, sent the old one back to BD and all was good...they even sent me the prepaid shipping envelope

mtbr member
    Awesome, good to know. Thanks!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockofgibraltar
    I just called the phone number on my Paypal invoice. I found he was extremely helpful in getting the issue resolved.

They had Avid send me a new caliper + bleed kit, sent the old one back to BD and all was good...they even sent me the prepaid shipping envelope

Would you mind posting that phone number for the benefit of a few people having no luck getting email replies from B.D. ?

mtbr member
    Not sure if my number matches his, but my receipt for the last bike I ordered had this one on it: 904-249-2453.

Oh, BTW I have ordered the Cliff 29er Pro! Once I get it, I'll post a proper build and ride review thread.

mtbr member
    So how is the gearing on the bike? It looks like the ratios are the same as the other 26" bikes, but with bigger tires does it seem harder to pedal in the granny gear?

Front: 22/32/44T
    Rear: SRAM PG-950, 11-34T

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am thinking about pulling the trigger on this one as well. I am interested to know how everyone is liking theres? Also I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseem. Do you think a medium frame woud be a good fit for me?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have one, I got about 2 weeks ago. Other than both pedals being right threaded (Chicabike is sending a replacement set), it's a great bike. I bought through eBay and with Bing cashback and eBay bucks came out at $630 or so just find my thread on the purchase.

I will be swapping the frame over to a Soul Cycles Dillinger though as the Cliff PRO frame was bigger than I expected and cosmetically not for me. A Medium Cliff PRO is a 19" frame by the way.

mtbr member
    Cool, good info. I saw your thread earlier, and I'm hoping the small frame (17") will be fine with my inseam of 31". I know it's close, but I don't mind a higher top tube...I don't make a habit of straddling my bike. My existing 26" MTB has about the same stated standover and it hasn't bothered me in the 12 years I've owned it. I tend to stay up on the seat and if I do put a foot down, the other one is clipped into the pedal.

My bike is due in tomorrow, so I'll see once I put it all together. If it's too much of a nut smacker then I'll probably transfer everything over to a Sette Razzo frame, and add a Chris King headset. The one thing I really dislike about the Cliff frames is the integrated headset. CK has a pretty good paper on why they are bad, and it makes a lot of sense, even if they're understandably biased. Even if the geometry is good, I may buy that frame because it looks so good and the geometry looks better.

Check it: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/188...tail-Frame.htm

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So mine came and I built it all myself. The one problem I had was the brakes feel like crap. I have only riden it for about 20 minutes total. Does this get any better or do they need to be bled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomatt77
    So mine came and I built it all myself. The one problem I had was the brakes feel like crap. I have only riden it for about 20 minutes total. Does this get any better or do they need to be bled?
    Mine were a bit squishy but totally rideable. I've got the bleed kit on order since the shop wants the same amount to bleed them as the bleed kit costs. Figured it was worth it especially since I do almost all of the maintenance on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motomatt77
    Mine felt pretty weak out of the box. After performing the bedding procedure they felt quite a bit better and continued to improve over the next two or three rides. Mine were never spongy, just somewhat high in terms of lever effort. Seeing as they are 160 discs on a 29" wheel, that is to be expected.

Can you describe how they feel? Are they lacking stopping power or does the lever feel really spongy?

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    How hard would it be to upgrade to a 185mm front rotor?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It should be just a new rotor and 185mm caliper mount(~$40 total). Mine arrives tomorrow, so I'll let you know

EDIT: Parts came in and everything fit up as hoped. 4 screws on the caliper/6 on the rotor. I won't have a chance to ride it until tomorrow though.
    - Avid CPS mount for 51mm I.S. front mnt, 185mm
    - Avid G3 clean sweep 185mm
    Last edited by car_nut; 04-28-2010 at 01:33 PM.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    It should be just a new rotor and 185mm caliper mount(~$40 total). Mine arrives tomorrow, so I'll let you know
    Gotcha, my Windsor Pro arrives end of this week.