mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Anyone with a" Moto pro 29er"

HI,

I'm very new to this so, Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm just about to place my order for the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er. I'm just stuck on what size. I've tried measuring my self and it's 31.25inch's allowing one inch from my boys. Now, I went down to the LBS. and tried a Kona Kula 29er in a 20inch frame,"By the way. I fell in love with that bike but it was to pricey". And so that bike show's it's 32.9inch in a 20inch frame. That bike felt comfortable to me and the sales guy at the LBS. said that bike was a good size for me. I dont know if he was just trying to make a sale because at first he said that it was a little big for me and that bike was the last bike in a size that that would be for my height. So now i don't know which one to order the Fantom PRO 29er in a 17inch=31.7 or the 19inch=32.8. I'm like right in the middle?

Thank's Again, Kenji

mtbr member
    I just purchased the same bike and the 17" frame fits me (31.5" inseam) well. If you're used to a larger frame, the extra height from a 26" to a 29" wheel should be considered. A lot of this is simply personal preference as many off-roaders go down a size in frame. Frame geometry is in play here as well.

Be advised that bikesdirect.com only has the Fantom Pro 29 available in 17" or smaller at this time. Larger frames are prepay and won't ship until 8/15. I wanted to ride immediately, so that made the frame size decision easy.

Good luck w/ your new ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaRlz
    I just purchased the same bike and the 17" frame fits me (31.5" inseam) well. If you're used to a larger frame, the extra height from a 26" to a 29" wheel should be considered. A lot of this is simply personal preference as many off-roaders go down a size in frame. Frame geometry is in play here as well.

Be advised that bikesdirect.com only has the Fantom Pro 29 available in 17" or smaller at this time. Larger frames are prepay and won't ship until 8/15. I wanted to ride immediately, so that made the frame size decision easy.

Good luck w/ your new ride
    Dear BamaRlz,

Thank you ~ Just out of curiosity can you tell me your height.

mtbr member
    5' 10"

ballbuster

Standover....

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji
    HI,

I'm very new to this so, Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm just about to place my order for the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er. I'm just stuck on what size. I've tried measuring my self and it's 31.25inch's allowing one inch from my boys. Now, I went down to the LBS. and tried a Kona Kula 29er in a 20inch frame,"By the way. I fell in love with that bike but it was to pricey". And so that bike show's it's 32.9inch in a 20inch frame. That bike felt comfortable to me and the sales guy at the LBS. said that bike was a good size for me. I dont know if he was just trying to make a sale because at first he said that it was a little big for me and that bike was the last bike in a size that that would be for my height. So now i don't know which one to order the Fantom PRO 29er in a 17inch=31.7 or the 19inch=32.8. I'm like right in the middle?

Thank's Again, Kenji
    ... is a very bad way to judge how big a bike is. The real dimension you should pay attention to is Virtual Top Tube Length. That is basically the reach of the bike. Draw a line horizontally from the center of the head tube just below the stem and back to the center of the seatpost. That's the number you care about. Forget about 'the boys'. Just lean over slightly more to the side when you stop if that is really a problem... problem solved.

Some long travel bikes you can't even stand over with your feet on the ground.

That inch measurement means almost nothing. Throw it out, forget you ever saw that. THat is a leftover from the days here all top tubes were parallel to the ground. They haven't made bikes like that in like 30 years. The Seat Tube legth does not take into account how long your arms or torso are, and that is just as important as the legth of your legs.

I had a 16.5" K2 Razorback and a 19.5" Giant Yukon and they fit me the same (both slightly too short for me). Different mfgs have different ways of measuring the 'inch' number anyway. Some do Center of BB to center of the TT joint.... some include the stub of tube that sticks out past the top tube joint.