Zero Miles from Myself

Anyone Have a 2012 Fantom29 Elite - What is the Wheelbase

I have got my eye on the Fantom29 Elite - Right now am torn between the Elite or the X9 OR the Sette Razzo.

But here is my hesitation on the Elite ... Looking at the BD site the geo link claims:
    - the Wheelbase and ChainStay on a 15.5" is 1103 / 460
    - for a 17.5" these numbers are 1129 / 460

If this is true, this is the longest wheelbase of just about any other 29er on the market (at least that I could find) and I am wondering how it rides ... or what I could go and ride that would have a similar Geo and / or feel before pulling the trigger.

My thoughts on such a long wheel base and Chainstays is that it would make it harder to bunny hop and lift the front end over stuff. Any riders of this 2012 Fantom29 Elite wanna weigh in on how it rides? And speaking of weight, BD told me build up it will weight about 30#'s ... seems kinda heavy. So how does it handle the weight?

I am wanting this bike for racing in florida and the SE and some races will have rock piles and quick climbs up quarry diggings with plenty of Rocks of all sizes and placements, Roots and Bumps .

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have the Fantom Elite 29er. Had it 1.5 mos. now. My 1st bike in ages. I like everything about it except that it is difficult to get off the ground. Not sure if that's because of the geometry or my inexperience. I've ridden the hell out of it, and had no problems. I'm enjoying riding so much, I kinda wish I had sprung for the Ti 29er.
    Last edited by classyinsd; 02-21-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Thanks ... how hard is it to lift the front end with a down peddle stroke? And / Or how hard is it to set it up on an oncoming rock shelf about 6-9" tall or to lift the front across an average size log 12-16" in diameter?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This is the reason I could not go with the fantom 29. That long chainstay worries me, there arent any bikes that I could test drive with comparable wheelbase and chainstay length. Spending that much (even as great of a deal as it is) and having no idea how it handles really turned me off. I might still go with a BD bike, but not one whose geo is way out there.

Zero Miles from Myself
    True ... there are other bikes on the BD site with a more typical Geo. Since Mike at BD and no one else is really weighing in ... I am looking else where.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    Thanks ... how hard is it to lift the front end with a down peddle stroke?
    Very easy.. I got a 19" Pro SL last week and like you had some reservations about the length of the WB and Chainstay. After 5 minutes of riding all my fears were put to rest..

Single Speed - It's All About The Pain!!!

Zero Miles from Myself
    Nice ... Thanks