mtbr member
    May 2008

Anyone get a FLY 9357 with the new 32mm SID Race fork yet?

I've been reading the threads and noticed that back in mid-April, Mike from bikesdirect said the FLY bikes would start shipping with the new 32mm SID Race sometime around early summer. Here's the post and here's the whole thread (Mike's post is #11). I know the 32mm SID Race is now available - you can buy it at Speedgoat and on eBay.

Has anyone received the FLY 9357 with the 32mm SID Race?

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone recently ordered the bike who got the SID Race with 28.6mm tubes (this is the version listed on the bikesdirect website).

I'm expecting the FLY 9357 to ship soon with the 32mm SID Race and will probably wait until then to place my order. The 32mm fork - while heavier - is a better fit for me.

Here's a link to the new 32mm SID Race specs: http://www.superlightintegrateddesign.com/

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My friend just ordered one a couple of days ago, so I can let you know when it comes. Just by looking at the website I would think it is still the 2008, unless they just never update the pictures.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My friend just got his 2009 Fly 9357. It is no different than the 2008 model, the fork is the old SID race. My friend is very happy with the bike, but his bikesdirect experience was not so good. Here are some things he did not like.

1. When he asked why the 2009 price was higher than the 2008 he was told that it had upgraded components over the 2008. This was either a misinformed answer, or an outright lie.

2. When he ordered the bike it was supposed to ship the end of May, but it shipped a couple weeks later in June. I guess that is what you get when you buy an out of stock bike though. He also had trouble getting any answer out of them as to when it would ship.

3. He found the customer service pretty bad. They take a long time to answer e-mails, and some e-mails they did not answer at all. The people who communicated with him seemed to really not know the answers and would just make stuff up so he would stop writing them.

I personally feel bad, because he went with bikesdirect on my recommendation. He absolutely loves the bike but he ,like me, hopes to never have problems with the bike because dealing with bikesdirect is a real pain. In fact one of the brake rotors is bent, but he is so sick of bikesdirect he doesn't even want to bother trying to get a new rotor from them because it is such a hassle. But at these prices I guess something has to give, and in this case it is customer service, so I guess you can't complain too much.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008

Thanks

Thanks, ljsmith. I appreciate the update!

I'm not sure if your friend noticed, but the price on the Fly Team and Fly 9357 went up a hundred bucks recently (last week, I think). So I guess he can feel good he bought when he did.

If anyone else gets the Fly Team or Fly 9357 with the new fork, please let everyone know.