Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006

Anyone 5'6" or shorter riding a 17.5" Fly Ti Team 29er?

Just curious because I've ridden a Cannondale Flash 2 Alloy in medium and the 17.5"
    Trek/Fisher X-caliber and both felt pretty comfortable aside from a bit too high a stand-over on the Flash. Any thoughts or experiences?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5'10" and will be buying the 17.5" Fly Team 29er Ti. I'm fairly sure that the 17.5" will be way too big for you. You should email BD and ask their advice; but I'm almost certain they will recommend that you buy the 15.5" version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'7" and have the 15.5" Fly Ti 29er, and wouldn't go any bigger. It's perfect for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam and balanced body proportions and I have a 17.5. I find the ETT to be right on for me so unless you have a long torso/arms it may be too big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am 5'7" and have the 15.5, fits more like a 16.5", fits perfect!!!

My wifey is 5'1" and she can just stand over the TT and can ride it with a shorter seatpost.

Newb
    Apr 2012
    I'm 5'4" and ride a 13" fantom 29.

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    What length stem did you guys go with who have the 15.5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm interested in this as well. Although not a 29er, my gf just got the 15.5 Fly Team 26er (alu version) and she feels like the stem is too long. I'm thinking of getting her a 80 or 90mm stem but I'm going to let her ride the bike a few more times to make sure that's what she really wants. She might just end up getting used to the one that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    I am 5'6" and would get the 15.5".
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

crash test dummy
    nevermind then
    Last edited by FullyTorque; 06-30-2012 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^This is the 5'6" thread...not the 5'9" thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My inseam is 28 and I'm 5'6''...i'm looking at purchasing the new 2013 Fantom 29er. Should a 13" or 15.5" frame size be a better fit?
    The 13" has a standover height of 28 and 15.5" is 31.

mtbr member
    Bike fit is more than standover. The top tube on that 13" is going to be tiny and I would bet it won't fit well. At 5'6", a 15.5" should work well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info TiGeo!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 5'3 with a 29 inseam and ride a 15.5 fantom 29pro. Stem is a 75mm, 7 rise and I use a Thomson set back seat post to spread me out without being over the handlebars.

JIE
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm 5'8" 30" inseam, I ended up going with the 15.5 Fantom frame as its geometry was more in line with what I was looking for, I tried a few 17.5 and 15.5 also a 16 and based on the geometry of all the frames I tried and compared, the Fantom29 should fit perfect, it seems to measure more like a 16" at least for top tube length. One thing I noticed was the wheel base is larger on the Fantom29 15.5 than either 17.5 I tried at a shop, which is good because I had slight toe overlap.

Trail Ninja
    I'm 5'7" and got the 15.5" '12 Fly Ti Team X0. I needed a 400mm zero offset seatpost and the front end was tad too high with a short rise riser bar and the stock stem. I don't think I would've fit any better on the 17.5".

I fit on a Fisher 17.5" '07 Rig and 17,5" '10 Superfly 100 extremely well, but the SF100's BB height is about 1" higher and it has a zerostack headset. I have a zero offset seatpost and 50mm stem on it. I like the small Yeti SB-95 better than the medium, since the medium's front end was a bit too high for my liking (also had a 140mm fork instead of 120mm). They all fit better than the Moto hardtail. The front end just feels too high, though I'm sure the low BB has something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So I seem to have the shortest inseam of the group @ 28 inches standing @ 5'6". I didn't realize how short my legs are. :-) Looking to get back into biking but wanted to consider a full suspension bike. The folks at BD tell me I should look at a 16inch frame or smaller. Can anyone with my inseam comment on sizing for full suspension or am I destined for a 26inch hard tail? Would the 13 inch 29er hard tail perform funny?

First post. Thanks folks.

Trail Ninja
    I barely clear the TT with my shoes on. I've bashed my balls on the TT once already, when I lost my footing going to bit fast through chunk and went off the trail into some trees. Not really pleasant and makes me appreciate the extra standover clearance on my more fancy name brand FS bike.

Off-topic: how do you measure inseam exactly? Do you go crotch to floor straight down, crotch following leg to floor, crotch to just below ankle? I measure crotch to just below ankle, with legs straight and about 6" apart, and get 29" for my inseam. If I measured with a book up against my crotch, measuring from the top of the book where it touches the wall behind me (barefoot), straight to the floor (bare floor), I get 31" and I'm only 5' 7" and buy pants with a 30" inseam.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I barely clear the TT with my shoes on. I've bashed my balls on the TT once already, when I lost my footing going to bit fast through chunk and went off the trail into some trees. Not really pleasant and makes me appreciate the extra standover clearance on my more fancy name brand FS bike.

Off-topic: how do you measure inseam exactly? Do you go crotch to floor straight down, crotch following leg to floor, crotch to just below ankle? I measure crotch to just below ankle, with legs straight and about 6" apart, and get 29" for my inseam. If I measured with a book up against my crotch, measuring from the top of the book where it touches the wall behind me (barefoot), straight to the floor (bare floor), I get 31" and I'm only 5' 7" and buy pants with a 30" inseam.
    I read you get a book pretend it's the TT and straddle the binding. I measure from the binding to the floor. In real life there would be a shoe/cleat so that could add perhaps 1/2 inch. With this measurement I get 28 inches, so I am concerned about protecting the jewels. I guess I am Phelphish with a long torso and short legs. It doesn't help much because I sink like a rock in the water . . .

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I'm 5' 6.5" with 30.5" inseam and I got a different moto 29er. I think the sizing is the same. I got the 15.5" and the size is perfect. I do have to set the seat tube almost to the Max to get it level with the handlebars.