KVW
    Law abiding citizen

Any Ti Fly or Fantom owners try changing their reba's to 120mm travel?

As the title says - Any Ti Fly or Fantom owners try changing their reba's to 120mm travel? Warranty voiding aside, I'm curious as to how it handles the change. I know the head angle would slackin' a little bit but does the extra travel feel better or worse?
    Last edited by KVW; 01-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am probably gonna try this next weekend and will let you know how it goes. But I will prob run a hi sag to not disturb the HA. If anyone has already feedback would be great.

Cheers,
    Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Any word? I've heard that these forks can be set to 80 or 100 but not 120. Curious what you found.

Edit: I want to clarify, i've just sort of gathered that 80/100 thing from reading... not at all certain that it's true.
    Last edited by TroyS600; 02-25-2012 at 12:07 PM.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Well I haven't done it yet. I was hoping someone who had would respond by now.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting mixed up. I thought all 2011 reba's could go to 120mm, even the 29ers. But maybe the "Ti" version was throwing me off? Like this Reba 29er fork here: 2011 Rock Shox Reba RLT Ti 29er w/20mm Maxle Lite (120mm Travel) - 29 Niner | eBay

Set at 120mm.

But looking at SRAM's site now, they confirm what you said and only go to 100mm for the 29ers. Now I'm confused. Could have sworn I read our forks could do 120mm as well. Maybe they changed it for 2012 or I'm getting the reba fork above mixed up as what our fork is capable of.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    I have the 2012 Reba RL that came on my X9, and included with the bike were two spacers for the fork that I THINK are for the travel of the fork. I'm not 100% sure as this the first RockShox I've had, but those spacers look just like the ones that another rider used to lengthen the travel in another thread (he had pictures posted). By my reading of R/S site they can go to 120mm, but I haven't tried it.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think it depends on the Reba model and not really the bike it's on. There are some posts in the 29er section about some Reba's are 80/100 and some are 80/100/120. I have two Fantom 29er X-9 DS's (medium for me, small for the girlfriend) that came with the Recon fork set at 100mm. The Recons I have can be set to 80/100/120. I removed the spacer on both of them to make them 120mm. I like the added fork travel and the steering is not much different, maybe just a tad slower (in a good way) with the slacker headtube angle. I did end up lowering the stem on both bikes 10mm by taking one of the 10mm headset spacers from under the stem and placing in on top of the stem to make the fit of the bike feel basically the same as it did with the 100mm fork. Overall, I'm happy with it. It's a really simple change to try, if you don't like it, you can set it back. Just make sure to have some 15w fork oil on hand so you can put the right amounts back in the fork legs and air cylinder.
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 03-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    CLMcLovin, i'm going to attempt to open up the fork soon, is there anything else besides 15w fork oil that I'll need as far as supplies go? I've never done any fork maintenance yet. Any walk-throughs you might know of would rock too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    CLMcLovin, i'm going to attempt to open up the fork soon, is there anything else besides 15w fork oil that I'll need as far as supplies go? I've never done any fork maintenance yet. Any walk-throughs you might know of would rock too.
    A syringe to measure out the fork oil will be helpful. I got the syringes at the Tractor Supply Center in the horse/pet section. I ready on another posts that feed stores often carry them too. You won't need much 15w fork oil if your only dealing with the air spring (left fork leg) and lower legs. Only other thing I can think of is a little grease for the o-rings, I used Bel Ray Waterproof grease. Depending how many hours you have on your fork (over 100+), you might want to go ahead and change the fluid on the damper side (right fork leg) too which requires 5w fork oil.

There's some good info here under the Lower Leg Removal/Installation and Solo Air Spring Service sections. There's a lot of other sections that you really wouldn't need just to remove a travel spacer. The fluid amounts are specific to the Recon Silver so if you have a different fork, you'll want to find a manual specific to your fork to get the right fluid levels.
    http://www.freeflowbikes.com/manuals...cal-Manual.pdf

Also some good youtube videos by SRAM if you search for "Rock Shox Lower Leg Removal" or "Solo Air Service".

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I changed mine to 120 and it was ok but I think it made the bike's front end too light. Went back to 100 and it handles better. Someday I might try 80 to see what that does.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    I changed mine to 120 and it was ok but I think it made the bike's front end too light. Went back to 100 and it handles better. Someday I might try 80 to see what that does.

Well I don't know what fork you have but my Reba RLT was already at it's longest length at 100mm. There was no spacer to remove! Sucks - I really wanted to try it at 120mm travel.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    2012 reba 29ers are 100mm max. This isn't something sram will say not to do and then give you a "wink wink" - The stancions are shorter than the prior models for weight savings. Even if you can remove a spacer in a '12 to get to 120 it will be very unsafe.

Most of the 2011s and prior can go to 120 by removing all the spacers off the shaft in the air chamber side.

Reba 80mm travel to 100 or 120mm..How?
    Last edited by 92gli; 04-13-2012 at 07:07 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Also - there are some oem forks out there that came with 90mm travel. So in those cases you might find two spacers but one will be 10mm tall and the other will be 20.