mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Any one with a rear rack on their moto?

My GF and I are planning a trip to the Katy trail in MO next year. The only bike that i have at the moment is a Giant Defy road bike that would be ill suited for gravel use, so my GF has approved a new bike! I have been considering a hybrid or a cross bike, but I have always really wanted a mtn bike.

I have been looking at the Motobecane phantom 29 trail. I really like the price/quality ratio, but I am wondering if it can haul enough for a 5-ish day, 200+ mile, camping trip. I could get away with a rear rack and medium panniers. I know that a few companies make disc mount racks, but I wonder if these would fit on this bike? Does anyone run a rear rack (not seatpost) on a Moto phantom?

mtbr member
    I have an Elite Sport, which is a 29er frame with 700x42 tires. I am running a Topeak Explorer rack with the Topeak rack bag and medium panniers. Rack fits perfect and the bags are big enough to hold quite a bit. I also use a handlebar harness with a 20L drysack. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to use this setup for a four night trip.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Teamfour do you have pictures of your setup. I would be interested in seeing them. I have a phantom 29 comp and would like to something similar.